Author Topic: GTA song removals on Steam -> Update: Vice City might be next; SA "patched".  (Read 3513 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
GTA song removals on Steam -> Update: Vice City might be next; SA "patched".
« on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
NEW -> 11-09-2014:
GTA: Vice City - Steam version got a new audio file uploaded, according to Steam database.
You guys might wanna back-up your OLD Vice City Steam-version game-folder somewhere else, if you have it - just in case next patch removes songs.

ORIGINAL POST:
Anybody who has GTA: SA PC from Retail - this doesn't concern you. You bought that version, so you're stuck with that version - for better and for worse. :oP

Now - for all you GTA: San Andreas Steam-version owners, I hope you backed-up your OLD-version of the game (before today's Steam-patch for it).
Rockstar just "updated" it on Steam.

The new patch on Steam removes a bunch of songs, removes 1920x1080 support, adds Xinput support, and does some other stuff:

More info here:
http://www.rockstarnexus.com/article/208/San-Andreas-updated-on-Steam-removes-songs-and-reverts-fixes

Rockstar finally went live with the patch for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas that was leaked a few months ago. We've downloaded the patch and here's what we've noticed about this "patch" so far:

Removes several songs for ALL OWNERS (Seems to be same songs that were cut from the mobile version. Removal of the songs just for new purchases would be understandable, retroactively removing them from previous purchases isn't.)
    Removes several resolution options, including 1920x1080 (This was broken in the original version, then fixed in a patch - now unfixed with this latest patch)
    Adds support for XInput controllers (Xbox 360 controller)
    Makes "Steering with Mouse" enabled by default
    Loading a game save from the original version just starts a new game
    Occasional crashes during car explosions if another monitor is attached

Hopefully most of you had a backup of your digital copy you can restore to or at least an original physical copy. There's still no word from Rockstar on any of this nonsense either.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 09, 2014, 07:05:12 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas -> Steam-version gets song-removal patch
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
Removed songs list for GTA: SA Steam-version from newest patch:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/12120/discussions/0/613941122659584549/

PLAYBACK FM
"Critical Beatdown"

K-DST
"Running Down A Dream"
"Woman To Woman"

Bounce FM
"You Dropped A Bomb On Me"
"Yum Yum"
"Running Away"

Radio Los Santos
"I Don't Give A F***"
"Express Yourself"

Radio X
"Killing in the Name of"
"Hellraiser"

K-Jah West
"Ring My Bell"
"Don't Let It Go To Your Head"

Master Sounds 98.3
"Express Yourself"
"Rock Creek Park"
"Grunt"
"Soul Power '74"
"The Payback"

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
I'm sure some smart people out there will figure out how to protect the best version of the game from this kind of abuse.  This nonsense is the perfect ammo for opponents of services like Steam.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »
I'm sure some smart people out there will figure out how to protect the best version of the game from this kind of abuse.  This nonsense is the perfect ammo for opponents of services like Steam.

I don't think Steam's the problem.
I think it's how Rockstar handled this nonsense.

What other games have done is this:
Steam keeps the old-version namely for those who paid for it on Steam (and you can re-download that version anytime you want); but that version is just no longer for sale to anybody who missed-out on it when it was up for sale.
A new entry entirely (into Steam database and your game-library) gets added to Steam w/ the new version of the game w/ a brand-new title.
Rockstar could've left old-version called GTA: SA alone (for old-owners); while a new version is called GTA: SA Redux Edition (that'll continue to get get support).

Another example:
Company of Heroes. I bought it, back when it COH had a different MP Client. Relic left that alone.
There's a new version listed as Company of Heroes: New Steam-version w/ new Steamworks MP support + actually treats the former stand-alone expansions as DLC's.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
I don't think Steam's the problem.
Steam is the one that forces you to download all patches before playing games. Yes Rockstar is dumb in how they handled this update but Steam is actually "enforcing" it, as it were.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
Absolute worst-case scenario, ye old sea dogs can seek yer booty O' San Andreas in the old pyrate ways!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 08, 2014, 07:39:22 AM »
Steam is the one that forces you to download all patches before playing games. Yes Rockstar is dumb in how they handled this update but Steam is actually "enforcing" it, as it were.

While it does make sense for MP-portion of games to force patches so everybody plays the same-version...
...but, on SP-portions of games - yeah, you kind of do have a point: Steam program itself forces updates on all game.
For SP-only games, it really should be up to the player to decide to take an update or not.

But, really though - Rockstar is selling games on Steam, so they should do things logically to satisfy their customers that are using Steam's delivery system. They know how Steam works - so they should've come up w/ a better solution for this platform than what they come up with. I still think it would've been easier for this kind of update b/c of how Steam works (i.e. forced updates), if Rockstar just added a brand-new San Andreas HD entry for sale on Steam entirely; and stop selling the old San Andreas version until they decide to renew music license or just not sell that version anymore at all. And Rockstar could've gave the new SA HD Edition for FREE to SA old-version owners, just like other games have done on Steam that got questionable re-releases (i.e. Fable: TLC and Fable Anniversary have separate entries on Steam).

I wouldn't also be surprised if Rockstar figured to avoid any lawsuits at any turn, they made this decision w/ this thought in mind: "Well, the MP3 ratio station is still there - modders w/ old-files can unpack the files and convert them to MP3's; or those that have their own MP3's of any tracks removed, they can put just it back into the game in the MP3 station at Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\User Tracks folder themselves."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, November 09, 2014, 06:06:30 AM »
GTA: Vice City - Steam version got a new audio file uploaded, according to Steam database.
You guys might wanna back-up your OLD Vice City Steam-version somewhere else, if you have it - in case the next patch removes songs.

« Last Edit: Sunday, November 09, 2014, 07:05:31 AM by MysterD »