Author Topic: Assassin's Creed: Unity  (Read 14999 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Assassin's Creed: Unity
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 03:00:32 AM »
Eurogamer - Digital Foundry -> Face-Off between PC, XB1, and PS4 versions of ACU.

Great read.  Thanks for that.  TL;DR:  Problems everywhere, least problems on the XB1, but still far from how it should perform.  Duplicating the console graphical settings as much as possible lets a mid-range PC run the game with a bit higher frame rate than the XB1.  Upgrading the CPU makes little difference (which surprises me).  Upgrading the GPU makes little difference (no surprise to me, and shouldn't be for them either, since they know the game is CPU-bound).  Unlocking the frame rate is worse than keeping it locked at 30, because of the CPU bottleneck on the GPU.  The PC version is the most error-prone of the three, but does allow the best graphical settings, including 1080p.

I'm not sure where the state of the patching is.  The PC and PS4 got the 2nd patch a few days ago.  It was supposed to hit the XB1 yesterday, but I saw no evidence of it.  (File management and awareness of updates is much inferior on the XB1 than the X360, so it could well be that I have it and don't know it.)  A 3rd patch is in the works.  I do hope they fix the mess they've made, particularly the more egregious parts where performance drops are more like Windows running out of memory and needing a swap file than outright frame drops.  I've only experienced that twice, and only the first time went on continuously during a sequence (Sainte-Chapelle).  The other was that Notre Dame mission they mentioned (S3M2), but that happened only briefly while scaling an outside wall of that cathedral toward an entrance.  (I'm going to guess the reason is the same in both instances, since both involve a nearby entrance to another area.  Work is being done in the background in the place you're going to enter without a load-screen interruption.)  I'd love to see better LOD transitions and more stable frame rate.  I'm not holding out much hope for these.  The game is enjoyable the vast majority of the time.  I play strictly solo, though.  It seems that the coop lovers are having a rougher time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 06:36:12 AM »
Jesus.  What a clusterfuck.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »
Jesus.  What a clusterfuck.

Yeah, I know - a game w/ built-in Co-Op and one of its major features; and basically you're being told to play solo for now until they fix it.
To alleviate issues on the technical side - First it was, "Oh, play offline" and now it's "remove your friends."
Ridiculous.

They just should've kept this game in the cooker for another 6 months to a year.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
There really is a lot to Unity, but there just isn't any escape from the traditional AC stuff here.  You're stuck in one (huge) city doing AC parkour, AC combat, AC stealth, and the same kinds of activities that have been with us since the first game.  I think the most fun to be had is in the co-op missions and heists, with or without other players.  These present more varied and interesting objectives, and many more difficult guards than usual.  Another plus is Arno's RPG-like development, based on gear properties and earned skills.  There are 4 currencies, with 2 of them needed for something akin to leveling.  Livres buy stuff like gear (weapons, clothing) and consumables (blades, ammo, medicine, etc).  Sync points, the most scarce, buy skills--permanent enhancements.  Articles of clothing will enhance all your character's attributes in varying amounts, depending on the set type (e.g., military, phantom), how advanced it is (e.g., master, legendary) and where you wear it (head, chest, etc).  Examples would be extra health, extra special throwing blades, bombs, lockpicks, how well eagle vision works, how hard you are to detect, and so on.  Skills are things like health (HP), attack strengths, and special abilities.  These sync points can only be earned in story missions and co-op/heist missions.  And you only get a few at a time.  Side missions will not cut it.  It took me dozens of hours to ramp up Arno to the near maxed-out state he is in now.  It's a good system that makes you feel like you've earned your godly powers.

I only have the last sequence to go through, then I'll be done with the story.  I've spent much more time doing other stuff (side missions, renovations, collectibles), and only recently have I discovered how good the co-ops/heists can be.  Just played one such mission tonight with 3 other players.  That was insanely fun, even though I had no idea how to communicate with the other guys.  The Kinect is hooked up, so there's a mic.  But unless the party chat comes over the speakers, it makes no difference.  I'm not a fan of headsets, or chatty multiplayer with strangers.  But this was very cool.  I need to do it more often.  I'm so chicken, though, like I get stage fright when I'm in an unknown crowd.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #46 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »
This game is currently a deal on Amazon for $30.  Should I pull the trigger?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
Patch 4 was just delayed today.  Hopefully it will come before Christmas.  It needs some more technical work, but it's not too bad as it stands.  Frame rate issues and a couple of hard crashes for me (both under the same circumstances, so hopefully they know about it and will fix that).  Is this for you?  It's really too mature for your stepson, I think.

$30 is a good price before Christmas.  I know it's Amazon's gold box deal.  I got their email today.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #48 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 06:12:37 PM »
Patch 4 was just delayed today.  Hopefully it will come before Christmas.  It needs some more technical work, but it's not too bad as it stands.  Frame rate issues and a couple of hard crashes for me (both under the same circumstances, so hopefully they know about it and will fix that).  Is this for you?  It's really too mature for your stepson, I think.

$30 is a good price before Christmas.  I know it's Amazon's gold box deal.  I got their email today.

My stepson is 13 1/2.  Still no?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
Nah, he's probably fine then.  My 14-year-old daughter watches R-rated movies.  It's hard to accept how much things have changed since I was a kid.  There's some profanity, no nudity and no saucy stuff.  Just a lot of violence and spurting blood.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »
Patch 4 released

6.7GB

Well I'm never buying this game.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
I elected not to buy the game.  The reviews are not very positive and I'm not fond of the idea of microtransactions and the mobile integration.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
I elected not to buy the game.  The reviews are not very positive and I'm not fond of the idea of microtransactions and the mobile integration.

I'm waiting for a major price-drop.

Plus, I still need to play AC4: Black Flag first - which I still have yet to buy.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
There's a huge homicidal-rage-inducing fuck-up with the 4th patch on the XO.  Basically, anyone who has downloaded the other patches has to redownload the ENTIRE 40GB game.  I can see that going over really well with users on slower connections or who pay for broadband by the GB.  I'm livid, and I have neither one of those issues.

To be clear, this is a Ubisoft FUCK UP.  It is not the intended behavior of the patch, which should be all of 6.7 GB.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, December 20, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
There's a huge homicidal-rage-inducing fuck-up with the 4th patch on the XO.  Basically, anyone who has downloaded the other patches has to redownload the ENTIRE 40GB game.  I can see that going over really well with users on slower connections or who pay for broadband by the GB.  I'm livid, and I have neither one of those issues.

To be clear, this is a Ubisoft FUCK UP.  It is not the intended behavior of the patch, which should be all of 6.7 GB.
40 GB takes a lot of time for most users + Internet connections ain't always cheap! That sucks.

I remember recently doing the 60 GB download for FFXIII PC - that took quite the while on even my Comcast Blast here, to say the least...

Also, what's happening w/ AC:U here - makes me glad I just bought AC4: Black Flag real cheap, have fallen a little bit behind on my AC games, and that I don't buy most games ASAP to be a premium-paying Beta-tester... ;)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: Monday, December 22, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
I was hoping this would make it into the press more prominently, and I guess it did.  It goes along with what we were talking about on the Forza Horizon 2 thread too.

It’s beyond unacceptable and just downright ludicrous at this point. If anyone on earth preorders Assassin’s Creed Victory next year after this, there’s no hope for the gaming public. Not one person should buy a copy of the game unless the united press (after hopefully a solid two weeks playing the game pre-launch) declares it in perfect working order, and even then fans should be wary. Unity must be the tipping point where fans have to realize that pre-ordering games does nothing but allow developers to release broken products, and the vicious cycle can only end with consumers saying “no more” by keeping their cash in hand until a game has proven that it actually works as intended at launch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Monday, December 22, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
Well said.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
Pre-ordering these days seems pretty dumb.  Firstly, it seems like it's rare for physical copies to sell out and if they do there are more the next day.  Secondly, you can get games via digital distribution, which of course never sell out.

It made sense when failing to pre-order a popular game meant you might not be able to get it for a week or two after it came out, but those days have long since passed.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »
Pre-ordering these days seems pretty dumb.  Firstly, it seems like it's rare for physical copies to sell out and if they do there are more the next day.  Secondly, you can get games via digital distribution, which of course never sell out.

It made sense when failing to pre-order a popular game meant you might not be able to get it for a week or two after it came out, but those days have long since passed.

Very good point about digital distribution.  But now the hook is the extra content--or more honestly, the content sliced off the game to be called "extra"--given exclusively with preorders, and later sold as DLC.  Horrid business practices, in combination with the release of broken games.

Here's some real-world heartbreaking support for my last post, and for the damning of preorders in general:

Quote from: Deep_River_1
I posted the other day "6.7GB to 40GB". When I got the daily usage statement from my Internet provider, it actually seems like the original 6.7GB downloaded twice, then the 40GB download installed too. A total of 53.4GB. Because this occurred at the end of my billing cycle I went 40 GB over my limit at a cost of 2$ extra per GB, so 80$ now. (Rogers, Canada). After thinking more about this game and the horrendous pre-order bonus mission, why was I holding onto this game for a free DLC. I have never been so screwed over by a game in my life. I took AC Unity to GameSpot, got a 30$ credit towards Far Cry 4. And here is why my complaint will never matter. I'm still buying Ubisoft games. I think the only recourse for me (and hopefully others) will be to stop pre-ordering games and waiting for reviews. Especially when review embargoes are being used by companies like this.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 02:13:51 AM »
I'm not entirely against pre-orders but I can see how they can be abused by the publishers. I generally only pre-order games that I'm certain I would buy on release day. The pre-order advantage for me is the reduced price. Most places (digital or physical) will offer a 10% discount for pre-ordering but if you hunt down deals you can get it $15-$20 less.

For Assassin's Cred Unity, I was already committed to buying the game because I love the franchise, regardless of the reviews. It sucks that it didn't turn out as awesome as it should have been but I'm still enjoying it. That said, I am glad I didn't pay $90 for the Deluxe Edition ($60 for game + $30 for the season pass). The pre-order deal I got was $60 for the Deluxe Edition, so basically $60 for the game and I got the season pass for free. Overall not a bad deal and considering Ubisoft's pledge to grant season pass owner's a free game it turned out well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »
If it hadn't come as part of the hardware bundle I jumped on in late October, I never would have "preordered" it.  Just my luck that it turned out to be the worst example of such abuse yet.  I enjoyed it for the most part too.  But it doesn't hold a candle to Black Flag.  For all its huge size and meticulous realization, Paris feels constricted after Havana, Kingston, Nassau, many small islands, and tall ships sailing the Caribbean.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
If it hadn't come as part of the hardware bundle I jumped on in late October, I never would have "preordered" it.  Just my luck that it turned out to be the worst example of such abuse yet.  I enjoyed it for the most part too.  But it doesn't hold a candle to Black Flag.  For all its huge size and meticulous realization, Paris feels constricted after Havana, Kingston, Nassau, many small islands, and tall ships sailing the Caribbean.
Yeah, it feels surprisingly claustrophobic compared to Black Flag! I understand it has a lot more detail but it's so constrained.

The biggest issues with the game seem to be technical issues and bugs. I've been fortunate to not suffer any game-breaking bugs so far but the persistent ones (after the massive performance increase in the first patch) are more annoyances that break the immersion rather than affect the gameplay such as crowd pop-in, or NPCs floating in mid air etc.

The parts that really bug me though are the strangely omitted gameplay mechanics e.g. lure (whistle) and stalking zones. I can understand an argument against stalking zones like "it's a more urban environment etc." but Arno not being able lure an enemy to a hiding spot or corner is strange to me.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, January 17, 2015, 10:35:39 AM »
Here is a fascinating development, not so much about Unity itself, but about game journalism in general.  To explain why he is retracting his AC Unity review, Ben Dutka implies that reviewers do not spend nearly enough time on the games they review for a proper assessment.  That's quite an admission, and confirms what many of us have suspected or perhaps known for a long time.  Internet reality is very different from the old paper-publication reality.  (Perhaps even then, time was too short for proper reviews.  Who knows.)

To add to this, the author (I'm assuming) posted this reply to a harsh critic on another site:

Quote from: fathoms
As per my statement about the absurdly self-righteous, you make my point perfectly.

Your entire post is anti-game journalism and fueled by these grand ideals that unfortunately don't - and in fact, can't - exist in the industry today. And why? Because the gamers won't allow it.

Those who have worked in the field know what I'm talking about. Unless you work for one of the major sources, you're probably on part-time pay (or even volunteer) and when busy times of the year roll around, you're working a zillion hours a week for very little money. Hence, most critics do it because they love games and of course, all they get is flak and hatred from the community for it.

You really think it's realistic for a staff of a few people to be able to play and complete over 100 games in a month? And before you start with the, "oh, we'll wait" argument, everyone knows that's crap. There's no editor on the planet that would allow this; reviews of high-profile titles absolutely have to be out ASAP if the site wants to remain competitive in the least. At the absolute maximum, you might be able to publish your review two weeks after the game launches, and that's only if the title is crazy massive (I.e., the Witcher 3).

During crunch time, even the biggest sources will admit to not having completed a game before a review because 99 percent of the time, it's completely out of the question. The bottom line is all active gaming sites want reviews of new games up as quickly as possible, you're paid next to nothing to do it (even full-time staffers at places like GameSpot have shockingly low salaries; if GameSpot or IGN or Polygon is our New York Times, we should be able to make salary comparisons but really, it's a joke), and you've got a stack of games that stretches to the ceiling that need reviews.

This isn't like finishing a movie, or listening to an entire music album, or finishing a meal at a restaurant, or even reading a big book cover to cover. We're talking about products that are well over 40-50 hours (some even longer), and MULTIPLE products of similar insane length that all come out at once. And all handled by an industry severely lacking in resources.

I assume, in your self-righteous rant there, that you have a solution to this. And I'm all ears.

To which I replied:

Quote from: Yours Truly
The most interesting thing about your retraction is the fear it confirms: Game reviewers do not fully review games. They get as far as they can in a short time window, then quickly put together the best write-up they can, under the circumstances. Only after they've spent considerable time with each reviewed game, following the respective reviews' publications, do their words ring true or hollow in their own ears. Regardless of cause, justified or not, this state of affairs is quite troubling. You are so much as admitting that you cannot be trusted as a reviewer. It may not be your fault--we all need to eat--but that doesn't change the sad revelation. Food for thought, in any case. And thank you very much for your honesty. For that, I heartily applaud you.

Food for thought indeed.

Edit:  I should add that the reasons for his retraction are the best possible.  He is indicting the suits at Ubisoft, not the creative talent there--with which I agree completely.  While there are technical issues, those are solvable, and have been getting solved (slowly).  But the design decisions based on extracting the maximum amount of money from gamers, and tying them to Ubisoft online, will not be resolved.  If anything, they will get worse in future games, and spread like a cancer to other powerful publishers.

Let's put a face on the sleazy suits I mentioned.  I think I already did, once before.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, January 17, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
Crazy stuff. But yeah, I think that's been the sad reality of games journalism for a long time. It's kind of the nature of the beast, though. Like he said ... how do you get out timely reviews of games that are so super long? If publishers can't give you a game significantly in advance of release, you're kinda fucked. I have reviewed games actively, so I'm entirely aware of this reality. You can't do the best job possible unless you have the time. It's just not realistic, especially for a site that's trying to compete in a professional market. We want a 50+ hour experience to be boiled down into a 5-minute sound byte, or a couple pages of text. And we want it for every game released. And we want it right now, right in time for release. That expectation is just fucking stupid.

And man, that Ubisoft dude is a real tool. Hard to blame him from a financial standpoint, I guess. The problem is that so many of these people ARE willing to do that. Just spend, spend, spend.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, January 17, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
A game that might feel great early on, can disappoint you later as it goes along more + more - whether game gets repetitive, story falls apart, character development falls apart, or whatever.
Or, vice versa - a game early on might not be great that early on, but gets better + better as it goes along (i.e. Remember Me).

Not only that - but games can change so much and so rapidly....with patches, tons of DLC's, expansion packs, add-ons, etc. Games are often more like services - changing so much, it ain't even funny.

Granted, when I do my own reviews on Steam - I do currently score them (with the grading system). But, something I have been thinking about for a while is this - just doing away w/ grading them entirely.
I just feel like - most games for me, they end up somewhere in the C to B range; some end up in the A range.

About the reviewer blowing this whistle on reviews - I've always wondered if sometimes critics finish a main-quest or a game to its entirety - especially if it's quite lengthy, massive, and has tons of content. Very interesting stuff. I do wonder - if having more than some other things could become more common on professional game-reviewing sites - having more than one person review a game (especially if two critics' reviews are much different); re-reviews by same critic if a game gets fixed up; or things of that nature would ever come about b/c of games changing so rapidly.

I also wonder - if there would ever be a point, critics just stopped scoring games.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, January 18, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »
Joystiq did exactly that, just the other day, D.  Let's see how that works out of them, in the landscape of aggregating reviews (which is a whole conversation all by itself).

Que, yes, I can't deny the reality of this.  Both you and Ben Dutka speak the same inescapable truth.  We choose to trust because we need something to hold on to.  But the fact is that the current publication climate is inherently untrustworthy.

He replied to my post (same site):

Quote from: fathoms
Cobra: You are correct. It is troubling but this is the way it is. Unfortunately, nobody really knows how to correct it. It has always been the problem with any sort of 100 percent digital enterprise where you're not actually selling anything:

Everything you produce is free for all. Yes, you have to be on the Internet but it's not like GameSpot gets a portion of the money you give to Comcast. All reviews are free because you don't need to have a subscription to read them. Everything on these sites is free and it's a senseless business model. If you're selling a service like Match, or you're selling actual things (ala Amazon), you'll be fine. When you're not actually selling ANYTHING, how does anyone expect things to work?

Gamers don't get this and never have. They bash critics endlessly and they have no idea what the situation is like. Pathetically low pay, absurdly long work hours (at least during the busy parts of the year, which used to only be the holiday season but that isn't really true anymore), and a consistently hostile and unappreciative group of readers.

Lastly, consider this: If you look at just about any other entertainment venue, the best-reviewed products are rarely the best-selling products in that field. Movies, music, books, etc. If you look at the top 100 best-reviewed games of all time and compare it to the top 100 best-selling games of all time, you'll see a remarkable similarity. This means one of two things: Either A. gamers rely more heavily on their critics than they want anyone to believe, or B. critics are indeed doing a fine job rewarding the best products in existence.

I'll leave you with that.

That last paragraph is the most interesting one, no?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, January 18, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
You know, it is ... but I think there's something missing from it: at least with most of the gamers I know well and personally, we don't need reviews to know whether or not a game is for us. We may still read them, but more informationally ... as in to know what's IN these games, as opposed to finding out whether or not they're of sufficient quality. There are of course many exceptions, but this seems to hold true a lot. I almost never need anyone to tell me whether a game is outright good or bad, and most of the time I can even tell right off if it's probably going to be more in the middle. This isn't foolproof, but I think years of experience have trained us all to in large part have a decent sense as to whether or not to invest in something. Will it be the most wonderful game ever? Will it not quite live up to expectations? Can't say that, of course ... but more than likely we already know whether we're buying it or not. Few reviews convince me to either bite or not bite. That's going to happen regardless based on other factors and my own perceptions. A review might, however, give me more a clue as to breadth or dearth of content, expansiveness of experience, etc. But I don't care if the reviewer likes the game or not. Many reviewers have not very much liked games I thought were great. And plenty of them give high accolades to games I think are shit and wouldn't waste my time on. And it's almost never a review itself that gets me to that conclusion.

I honestly don't think game reviews are that worthwhile. To some degree there can be an element of artistic discussion, the way a higher-level critic may offer in a movie or book review. A discussion of the artistry, the craft of it, the philosophical underpinnings perhaps. But so often games don't even have that level of depth, and if they do, as we've already been discussing, so much of the time a reviewer can't dig into the game deep enough and for long enough to truly provide any meaningful commentary on those elements. So this works best for much shorter, more artistic games ... which entirely makes sense, because those reviews generally end up reading much more like movie reviews, and are pretty predictable: does that artistic intent come through or doesn't it? You already know there won't be bazillions of hours of gameplay or a huge open world playground, so does that baseline "games as art" thing come through in worthwhile fashion or doesn't it?

I think GiantBomb has done things much better. They review games, but they don't focus on the reviews. They seem to do less of them and focus on making those reviews more accurate and useful, even if many games are left off the review calendar. Instead they focus on games as culture, and providing content to play with and enjoy that, while occasionally bringing in meaningful discussion where it seems apt. At least that's how I look at the site. And that to me is what makes them infinitely better than most other sites; because we just don't need game reviews. As plentiful as they are, I think their utility has been dwindling for a long time now, and I'm not sure I would even notice if they simply ceased to exist.

Maybe that's an exaggeration. Like I said, there are times when a review is useful or the premise of a game is great but we need to know whether it was capitalized upon before we bite. But really, most of us can just wait and see whether anyone who does try it out actually likes it. If buzz from a few folks seems positive, then we might decide to bite too, and add our own opinions to the buzz for others. Which would largely leave smaller games to slip under the radar, I suppose ... but how often do reviews actually keep that from happening anyway?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 05:11:33 PM »
Some interesting developments about this game.  It's now up to 5 patches.  The bad stuff has been pretty much fixed.  It behaves very well on the Xbox, at least.  Even more worthy of note, they have completely abandoned the anti-consumer garbage as of Patch 5.  All unlockables can now be obtained within the game (single-player and coop).  The Initiates website and the companion (mobile) app are no longer required at all.  And the Dead Kings DLC was given away for free.  It's short, but well worth playing.  The extra gear in it is nifty, with the best sword in the game as a finisher.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, May 14, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
You know, I ended up loving this game.  It's a slow burn.  Fixes were absolutely essential, and they happened.  I have yet to see a more ambitious open world based in a large city full of people.  They pushed the envelope, perhaps too much.  But I'm glad they did.

The more one plays, the more one discovers, and the more proficient one becomes at doing everything--which is a lot of thing.  Whoever bemoans navigation or combat simply hasn't put the practice required into it.  This is not a game to play through in two sittings.  And maybe that's its biggest problem in the ADD current times.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, May 14, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
You know, I ended up loving this game.  It's a slow burn.  Fixes were absolutely essential, and they happened.  I have yet to see a more ambitious open world based in a large city full of people.  They pushed the envelope, perhaps too much.  But I'm glad they did.

The more one plays, the more one discovers, and the more proficient one becomes at doing everything--which is a lot of thing.  Whoever bemoans navigation or combat simply hasn't put the practice required into it.  This is not a game to play through in two sittings.  And maybe that's its biggest problem in the ADD current times.

I have this (AC:U) on the PC - but I really want a video-card that meets the requirements, before I actually test it out.
Plus, you know...I'm kind of burnt out w/ AC series, after recently running through AC4 + Freedom Cry earlier this year.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #71 on: Friday, May 15, 2015, 12:06:37 AM »
Huh, guess I missed out on a deal.

Was just curious how much Unity was going for now, check out amazon, they got physical copies for $15. I think about it... start browsing to see if I can find a cheap digital copy... couldn't find one, then go back to Amazon... welp, it jumped back up to $30 and there's one copy left. Damn.

Ah well, I can still easily wait for it to drop again.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #72 on: Friday, May 15, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »
Well, here's some price tracking on the digital copies of ACU, courtesy of CheakShark:

http://www.cheapshark.com/search?q=Assassin%27s%20Creed%20Unity

You can keep an eye on it or sign up for notifications when the game price drops.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: Friday, May 15, 2015, 08:37:48 AM »

Was just curious how much Unity was going for now, check out amazon, they got physical copies for $15. I think about it... start browsing to see if I can find a cheap digital copy... couldn't find one, then go back to Amazon... welp, it jumped back up to $30 and there's one copy left. Damn.

I have a suspicion that Amazon plays games with you on pricing.  Look too much, and they know you want it, so . . . ?  Hard to know for sure.  I had something similar happen to me with AC Rogue, but that couldn't be a targeted thing, because I looked on Sandy's PC, which logs her into Amazon, not me.  Next day, back at home, I went to buy it on my PC, and the price had doubled. *  I suppose it can just be a remaining-stock thing.  Prices jump a lot regardless.

A week later, I did get Rogue for cheap from Amazon.

* Edit:  Then again, it may have been targeted.  Sandy doesn't check out videogames.  I do.  Maybe my price was double hers the whole weekend.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 15, 2015, 09:54:53 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Friday, May 15, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »

Fry's had FC4 PC and ACU PC for $10 each (before tax, of course), in mid-March.