Author Topic: Prototype  (Read 5571 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Prototype
« on: Friday, June 12, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »
Here come some reviews for this one.

GameSpot for X360 Version
Score: 8.5

Video Review.
Written review

IGN Reviews for X360 Version
IGN AU - 8.5
IGN USA - 7.5

1Up Reviews
B- for all versions: PC, PS3, and X360.

Giant Bomb Review
4 stars for X360 and PS3 versions

GameZone Review
9.0 for PC version

GameChronicles.com Review
9.5 for PC version
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 08:16:56 PM by MysterD »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Prototype THREAD
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 12, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »
I like how this isn't just the "Prototype thread" but the Prototype THREAD. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 13, 2009, 04:06:45 AM »
I like how this isn't just the "Prototype thread" but the Prototype THREAD. :)

Yeah, it rocks even more so in all of its caps-lock-ness glory, eh?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 15, 2009, 05:54:50 PM »
I checked it out! It's very similar to Infamous but on a larger scale in terms destruction and mobility, though it's much easier (specially since there's no aiming involved). It plays a lot like Spider-man: Web of Shadows (or any other Spider-man game for that matter). For the most part it really feels like it was being developed as a Spider-man/Venom game but they didn't get the licence so they repainted it.

Overall it's quite fun, a lot of mass destruction, not quite as destructible as Red Faction: Guerilla but still amusing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 03:00:44 PM »
I checked it out! It's very similar to Infamous but on a larger scale in terms destruction and mobility, though it's much easier (specially since there's no aiming involved). It plays a lot like Spider-man: Web of Shadows (or any other Spider-man game for that matter). For the most part it really feels like it was being developed as a Spider-man/Venom game but they didn't get the licence so they repainted it.

Wait, is this by the same developers that did Spider-Man: Web of Shadows?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »
Wait, is this by the same developers that did Spider-Man: Web of Shadows?

No, it's Radical Entertainment. They're the guys behind the Scarface game. Here's a list of the games they've developed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 03:29:39 PM »
No, it's Radical Entertainment. They're the guys behind the Scarface game. Here's a list of the games they've developed.

Scarface: The World Is Yours (game) was decent. Nothing special, though -- especially since it has to compete w/ GTA series, Mafia, and Saints Row 2.

I am definitely looking forward to getting Prototype, sometime down the line...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 05, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »
Just started playing this on PC....holy shit is it ever fun.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 05, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »
I'm lookin' forward to Prototype (PC), when it gets cheaper -- since I don't meet the Double-Core processor requirement.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 05, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
I considered getting it, but I never even finished inFamous.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 07, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »
I considered getting it, but I never even finished inFamous.

Why didn't you finish inFamous?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 07, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
For the most part it really feels like it was being developed as a Spider-man/Venom game but they didn't get the licence so they repainted it.

This really sums the game up perfectly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Prototype
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 07:13:51 AM »
I must say, from the little bit of time I spent with this, it's really a blast to play -- runs okay on 640x480; so I'mma have to try bumping up to 800x600 to see if it's still smooth. The levels of destruction and stuff are awesome, I must say. And yes -- it actually runs on Low setting, on my old-ass single-core rig. Shadows are on Medium, though -- since I can't stand the way Shadows on Low looks -- since there like really ain't any at all on that setting just about. Medium is much better for Shadows, by a mile.

Though, one thing -- FMV's are choppy and laggy as all hell; in the sound and vid department. Cringe everytime I get one -- just hit the mute button on my keyboard, until the FMV's over. Then, back when in-game un-mute it, it's all running fine in-game -- thank God the game comes w/ subtitles (especially for FMV's)! I expected kind of backwards-ness out of the damn in-game gameplay, not the FMV's. In-game sounds and gameplay are fine and all, oddly enough. They so got it backwards, here around. :o

Hmmm...If I recall, years ago, I had an issue w/ FMV's on NWN -- until I tossed in the game folder for NWN a newer version of Bink than what was found within the NWN folder. Hmmm...Anyone know if this Prototype game uses Bink?

And like I said in the other thread on SF4 -- I've seen a lot of choppy FMV and sound issues reported on the Net w/ SF4, COJ: Bound in Blood, and Prototype. So, I guess I ain't alone...

EDIT:
For those who got RealTek AC integrated Sound Cards, you might wanna look here from this blogger's post.

This is on Activision's Prototype forums -- about how many some people, in different ways, have gotten through the sound issues -- if they got through 'em and all.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 07:38:52 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »
Choppy FMV Solution
Here's a sound solution / choppy FMV work-around, if you are running into choppy sound and vid playback during FMV's.

I've modified it a bit b/c if you do it as they say, you won't fully fix some of the stuttering issues if you don't rename ambient files (they ARE the problem, for some reason) AND if you don't extract second set of ambiant files - as it is cited in some of the replies here on this page.

So, yes - this solution worked for me!

Prototype Sound Fix – Summary

Make sure you have about 3 GB worth of open space for all the upcoming file extractions.

1. Open the file [ ..\Prototype\00audio.rcf ] via ScarfaceExplorer.

2. Extract files into the [ ..\Prototype\Audio ] folder.

3. Rename ALL "ambiance" and "ambient" files that came from 00audio.rcf.
    i.e. Rename [ ..\Prototype\Audio\audio\ambience.p3d ] into something else (i.e. ambience_old.p3d).

4. Rename the audio RCF file you did all the extracting from.
    i.e. Rename [ ..\Prototype\00audio.rcf ] into something else (such as 00audio_old.rcf).

5. Select all files and folders (Ctrl – A) in the [ ..\Prototype\Audio\audio ] folder.

6. Cut all files and folders (Ctrl – X) in the [ ..\Prototype\Audio\audio ] folder.

7. Paste them in the [ ..\Prototype\Audio ] folder.

8. Do the same above steps 1-7 above also for "01audio.rcf" via ScarfaceExplorer as well.

9. Start Prototype and play the game without any sound issues.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 08:56:14 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 11:44:25 PM »
You know, that could have been what was happening to me.  I never had any cutting out sound (I don't think) or anything like that, but the game would freeze and I couldn't get past one cut scene (which was like 10 min. into a mission so I only tried twice).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 02:12:46 PM »
You know, that could have been what was happening to me.  I never had any cutting out sound (I don't think) or anything like that, but the game would freeze and I couldn't get past one cut scene (which was like 10 min. into a mission so I only tried twice).
Yep, sounds like you got the same issue -- in-game sound is perfect, but the FMV's play TOO slow w/ the sound.

Before you do the sound unpacking thing, you can try a few things to avoid this -- since you'll have to do a lot of steps and a lot of waiting to unpack 3 GB of sounds; some file cut & pasting; and a handful of "Ambient sound" renaming.

Try the Call of Duty 5 PC, Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood PC work-around first. Switch your Sound Card Program's settings (i.e. use RealTek Manager, if you have a RealTek card) -- especially if you're on Windows XP -- and set it to 44.1 Khz. Or, if you're on Vista or above, you can do one better and go through Windows and be precise and switch them to 44.1 Khz setting. Run the game, see if it goes well. If so, great!

If not, ugh! Let's try some other things.

If you have to, jump into DirectX and set your Sound Acceleration at any setting BELOW Full. Work from right to left. Try every notch UNTIL you run into one that works OR you run out of settings.

Another thing to try -- swap out BinkW32.DLL with a newer version of itself. Find a game that you have that has a NEWER version of BinkW32.DLL than Prototype's (i.e. see Wolfenstein 2009 or Section 8 ) -- or see if you can find it uploaded online somewhere. Just rename Prototype's BinkW32.DLL just in case you might need it again for back-up purposes, if necessary -- rename this old one to BinkW32_old.DLL (or whatever your soul feels content to doing). Move your newer version of BinkW32.DLL from some other game (like say Wolfenstein 2009 or Section 8 ) into the same exact folder as Prototype's BinkW32_old.DLL.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:56:35 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Um, about that.   I totally uninstalled the game and then didn't backup the saves when I reformatted.  But I will bookmark this because I'd like to try to beat it someday soon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 01:37:21 PM »
Um, about that.   I totally uninstalled the game and then didn't backup the saves when I reformatted.  But I will bookmark this because I'd like to try to beat it someday soon.

:(

Hope you didn't get too far into it.
I'm not too far into it, myself.

I have to get some lady, pick her up, and get an ATV vehicle.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 01:05:24 PM »
You know something, X? I'm glad it ain't tagged w/ a license on it. I like it as it is, as Prototype.

Overall it's quite fun, a lot of mass destruction, not quite as destructible as Red Faction: Guerilla but still amusing.
I haven't played RFG yet, but I don't think I have yet played anything as destructive as Prototype. I'm sure that'll change when I do play RFG, but this Prototype -- now that I got by all the technical stupidities -- is a blast.

I have been having a blast w/ this game. It's a blast, when Floating, flying, and jumping around from rooftop to rooftop. I love walking up and around buildings. Consuming enemies never gets old -- and looking just like them. Always fun to pick up cars and objects and just toss 'em around. And driving a tank, shooting missiles and running over cars and enemies rocks.

Oh, all the optional Web Of Intrigue guys/NPC's that are running around the world that you can consume for side quests -- I am trying to find as many as I can. They give the game's story, factions, characters, and whatnot often more background and additional info to the game itself.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »
Finished the main quest, not too long ago. You can continue in the game world, if you want, once you finish the main quest and do whatever side stuff you want. Also, beat the game - and there's a Plus-Game mode that'll unlock, if you want to do that.

OMG - the action in this game and levels of destruction are so freakin' epic, I don't know where to begin. So are many of the boss fights, too. There's one boss fight in particular that is coming to mind as probably one of the most epic boss fights I've ever seen in a game....
(click to show/hide)

There's a few tedious missions coming to mind that go on too long and are too repetitive, but even still - most of this game is just awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god