Author Topic: Fable: Anniversary  (Read 3086 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Fable: Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 13, 2014, 07:40:59 AM »
Eh, master-race problems.  ;)

But seriously, that's just a typical shoddy port from console to PC.  In this case, there's no reason at all to get it.  He convinced me that the original Lost Chapters is the superior PC choice on the whole, and also much cheaper.  But in the general case, many of these ports to PC are going to remain console-centric, and must be played as console games (namely with a controller, and without expecting dominion over features and options) if they're going to be enjoyed at all.  If a PC user is too huffy for that (and he sounds the part, no?) then he's better off avoiding such offerings entirely.  I'm sure good games which came to consoles first (a frequent occurrence now) are often ported well.  I hope you get a good version of GTA V in January, for example.  The remaster of that game is looking amazing, probably because they're using the assets they had to scale down (or cut off entirely) to shoehorn them into Gen-7 consoles.  I'm guessing the Gen-8 and PC versions will more closely resemble the dev team's original vision--a very different situation from the port of a ported remake of an old PC game.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
I was actually looking forward to catching a sale on this.  I really enjoyed Fable and its sequels.  The huge knock against the PC version of TLC is no controller support.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
I was actually looking forward to catching a sale on this.  I really enjoyed Fable and its sequels.  The huge knock against the PC version of TLC is no controller support.

Did you ever try using Xpadder, Pinnacle Game Profiler, or any other 3rd party PC game-pad tool with Fable: TLC PC?

Yeah, I know - native support's usually normally better.
There's no excuse for Fable: TLC PC to support a PC-gamepad - especially since it was on the XBox platforms.

And there's also no reason for Fable: Ann PC to properly support KB-mouse + re-configurations; and have better UI support in that inventory.
Fable: TLC PC did all of that stuff well w/ KB-mouse.

EDIT:
Eh, master-race problems.  ;)

But seriously, that's just a typical shoddy port from console to PC.  In this case, there's no reason at all to get it.  He convinced me that the original Lost Chapters is the superior PC choice on the whole, and also much cheaper.  But in the general case, many of these ports to PC are going to remain console-centric, and must be played as console games (namely with a controller, and without expecting dominion over features and options) if they're going to be enjoyed at all.  If a PC user is too huffy for that (and he sounds the part, no?) then he's better off avoiding such offerings entirely.  I'm sure good games which came to consoles first (a frequent occurrence now) are often ported well.  I hope you get a good version of GTA V in January, for example.  The remaster of that game is looking amazing, probably because they're using the assets they had to scale down (or cut off entirely) to shoehorn them into Gen-7 consoles.  I'm guessing the Gen-8 and PC versions will more closely resemble the dev team's original vision--a very different situation from the port of a ported remake of an old PC game.

The only thing I can think that can be a major benefit for us is that Fable: Ann PC is it supports UE3.
So, UE3 is a very widely used and well known engine.
SDK or not - I think it's possible, this version could be modded...especially since Fable is a big-time AA title.

Wouldn't surprise me, if modders go on + mod the crap out Fable: Ann PC, in whatever way to make it better for PC-gamers and more PC-like.

It's amazing what some guys like Durante have done w/ PC versions of Dark Souls 1 + Deadly Premonition.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
I'm playing it on my HTPC, which is hooked up to my TV and operates primarily with a gamepad; it's essentially a Steam console. The game runs perfectly fine there but that's only because I play it exclusively with a gamepad. When I heard about the mouse+kb control issues I was disappointed but not shocked, considering how great the mouse+kb controls were in the original Fable: The Lost Chapters.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god