Author Topic: Mirror's Edge: Catalyst -- Update: Reviews rolling in...  (Read 5336 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Mirror's Edge 2 - Update: Development has been "stalled" on this one. :'(
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »
Damn.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
Dinger. I was looking forward to this one. It's ok, there's still hope.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »
Destructoid -> EA trying to "figure out" how to bring back Mirror's Edge franchise.

Electronic Arts' Games boss Frank Gibeau has promised that he did not murder Mirror's Edge 2, and has stated that the publisher is in the process of figuring out how best to bring the franchise back.

"We’re just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror’s Edge back and in what way. That’s part of the creative development process," he explained. "I know there are some stories about how EA killed Mirror’s Edge. Well, I’m the guy; I greenlight the games. I did not kill it -- as God is my witness.

"What we said internally is: 'What do we need to do to make [a sequel] a hit?' We need to go from version one to version two so that it sells two to three times as many, it finds a much bigger audience. The first game from a quality standpoint was good, but now it needs to be great."

It's always hard to tell if a publisher is being genuine, or just trying to placate an audience, but we can only hope EA is speaking from the heart. Mirror's Edge was a great idea and I hope it gets a sequel to iron out the problems that held it back. One can only keep the ol' fingers crossed.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Mirror's Edge 2 - Update: EA trying to figure out how to bring back this series
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »
Every time I see or hear anything about Mirror's Edge I want to play it. It's so cheap now, but I keep waiting because I've got other games to play.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Mirror's Edge 2 - Update: EA trying to figure out how to bring back this series
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
It's actually pretty unique and fantastic.  Well, at least I thought so.  If it's cheap, go for it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
Every time I see or hear anything about Mirror's Edge I want to play it. It's so cheap now, but I keep waiting because I've got other games to play.

The game itself is really good - highly recommend it.
My complaints - cut-scenes feel out of place and the story isn't anything that great.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Update: New Gameplay Trailer
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »
Now I have to replay Mirrors Edge. My hype levels are too high.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 06, 2015, 05:27:26 AM »
Now I have to replay Mirrors Edge. My hype levels are too high.

Hehe, I downloaded the game from Steam + began re-playing it yesterday, once I saw the news.
I am so hype for Catalyst.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 08, 2015, 05:11:49 AM »
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Developer Walkthrough.

Some things to take away from this:
-> This is a reboot
-> They do deal w/ Faith's origins + background story here
-> There is also some kind of additional online social component.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, August 08, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »
Hope that means they are really giving it their all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, August 08, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »
Hope that means they are really giving it their all.
Sounds like both EA and DICE are betting the farm on Catalyst.

From the article...

AAA Game
Catalyst is a gamble for EA. When the team at DICE started to think about a follow-up, they quickly realised that it couldn't be half-assed. To make a worthwhile successor, they needed the publisher's full support, which meant a "AAA" budget and a lot of development time. They didn't want Catalyst to be a small downloadable title, or even Mirror's Edge 2. To do Faith justice and broaden the game's appeal, DICE was committed to a grander vision that retold the character's origin story. What's been shown so far feels like a complete do-over -- the game that the original Mirror's Edge aspired to be.

Story
"We wanted to make sure that we had a game that could appeal to our core fans and also appeal to a broader audience of action-adventure fans," Jansson says. Part of that vision involves a richer narrative and giving Faith some proper character development. She has an iconic look and a pretty badass attitude, but in the original game little was revealed about her past or how she was recruited into the rebellious world of freerunning. In Catalyst, there's a larger and more meaningful storyline that weaves through the missions, as well as CG cutscenes and expanded dialogue while you're jumping around as Faith.

Seamless Open-World
Even the world and overarching structure of Catalyst is more ambitious than its predecessor. Whereas the original Mirror's Edge took you through linear, tightly choreographed levels, Catalyst offers a seamless open world. DICE says there are no load screens and as you take on more missions, new rooftop districts in the city of Glass will open up.

No More Gunplay for Faith
Catalyst is unashamedly different. Even firearms, which were difficult to control and largely out of place in the original, have been ripped out to focus on Faith's hand-to-hand takedowns. The extraction will be welcome news to fans, but for DICE it's another risky move that positions the game further from established first-person shooter franchises.

Risk involved for EA + DICE
"To be completely honest, when we pitched this we were not at all sure that EA was going to want to do it and take that risk," Jansson says. "Because it is a risk. It's more high risk than doing a Battlefront or a FIFA." But the team's pitch paid off. And while the game is a financial risk, it does seem to support EA's changing public image. Two years ago it was named "the worst company in America," and since then the publisher has tried to show that it's putting gamers first. For instance, it's funding Unravel, a whimsical 2D platformer that won the hearts of gamers at E3 this year. Both Unravel and Catalyst had huge booths at Gamecom too, rivalling EA's tentpole franchises such as Need for Speed and FIFA 16.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, August 08, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
That sounds exactly like the same kind of talk surrounding the original game.

DICE wanted to do something different that wasn't Battlefield, EA was reluctant but gave them a chance, the new title was going to be the "make or break" game for DICE etc.

We're just hearing the same buzz all over again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst PC version's system requirements are up.

MINIMUM:
CPU: Intel i3-3250 / AMD FX-6350.
(Note: Mirror's Edge Catalyst requires at least 4 logical cores to run.)
RAM: 6 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 650 Ti 2GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 270x or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

RECOMMENDED:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 at 3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 at 4.0 GHz
RAM: 16 GB

HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970 4GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 280x 3GB or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

Offline MysterD

• Forum god