Author Topic: Ghostbuster game?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Ghostbuster game?
« on: Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 02:27:36 AM »
Apparently a group of people put a good amount of effort into making this game, tech demo, I dont know what to call it. Nobody knows what engine its running on nor if its console or PC. Its like some free floating apparition that just appeared out of nowhere out of the sparse corners of the game industry, spooky. All I know is I want to play it really, really badly since Ghostbusters is a fond fantasy of my childhood so long ago.

Oh and as a bonus, heres this really cool looking poster for it, I have no idea where it came from, I just saw it on a forum.

Some people are saying its not going to turn into anything. But why put this much effort into something like this?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Ghostbuster game?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 02:31:02 AM »
That's awesome.

Did any of you have that old Ghostbusters game for the Tandy (I'd assume it was on other systems as well)? That thing was great. You'd buy one of four cars of varying value, gear it out, then drive through the city and capture ghost for money.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 05:14:50 AM »
Oh man I LOVED LOVED the ghostbusters game on the Commodore 64. That was awesome. There was also a game called 'Ghost n' Goblins' that was really sweet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 07:44:09 AM »
Yeah, I remember the old Ghostbusters game.  It was awesome.  But I have no recollection as to where I would have played it.  It kind of mystifies me, actually, because I can't think of anywhere that I would have, yet I know I did.  Go figure.

But this looks cool.  It must be something... that's too much work and video for something that isn't a real project.  I'm sure somebody must be working on an actual game or at least a mod.  That said, I don't know how exciting the gameplay actually looks, but the concept itself certainly seems to have big potential.  I could totally go for a big free-form city where you can run the business side of things as well as go ghost hunting.  That'd be awesome!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 12:54:49 AM »
Oh man I LOVED LOVED the ghostbusters game on the Commodore 64. That was awesome. There was also a game called 'Ghost n' Goblins' that was really sweet.
Ghosts 'n Goblins, aka Ghouls 'n Ghosts, has made an appearance across the platforms.  (NES, SNES, Genesis, PSP, at least).

The only Ghostbusters game I played was on the Genesis.  I don't remember it being anything special.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »
Hmm...a Ghostbusters game....odd.....they have to get Bill Murray to do voice-work, if they do it! Murray rules!!!

Hmmm...I remember Ghost Master on the PC.....that was a fun game. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »
Fuck that shit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 04:23:22 PM »
Fuck that shit.

Atari is really gimping PC versions of games lately.
Censoring The Witcher in the USA; Alone in the Dark PC did not get the improvements the PS3 version had; Crappy DRM on Riddick: Dark Athena PC; and now this.
Bah!

No wonder PC versions ain't selling upon their release day as well as they should be...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 15, 2009, 12:59:57 AM »
I'm really disliking the lack of DLC on PC...though that is odd for me to say. Maybe not missing, but I guess its the unfair treatment. Its kind of a downward spiral. "We wont release the DLC on PC because PC sales are low. PC sales will be low since people will opt for the console versions that have DLC. Repeat."

It especially annoys me when its not just simple costumes or the like, but rather substantial updates. The DLC for Prince of Persia (the newest one) continued the games story past the ending. If you bought the PC version...tough luck, you don't get to see it. Thanks.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 15, 2009, 04:30:40 AM »
I'm really disliking the lack of DLC on PC...though that is odd for me to say. Maybe not missing, but I guess its the unfair treatment. Its kind of a downward spiral. "We wont release the DLC on PC because PC sales are low. PC sales will be low since people will opt for the console versions that have DLC. Repeat."

It especially annoys me when its not just simple costumes or the like, but rather substantial updates. The DLC for Prince of Persia (the newest one) continued the games story past the ending. If you bought the PC version...tough luck, you don't get to see it. Thanks.
That is shitty, especially, as you said, when it is substantial DLC.

It really irks me they run sales comparisons on games that have no real business being on PC in the first place then they argue that PC sales are terrible: "Devil May Cry 4 did much better on the PS3 than it did on PC, this proves that PC sales are just not viable."

Even if the game is in the right genre for a PC audience it's delayed beyond its acceptable span losing its appeal generally and possibly sporting some ridiculous restrictions: "We released Halo 2 for Windows Vista Only 2 years after the Xbox release. Even though it does not match its peers in graphics, performance, and public appeal we are very dissapointed that it did not even come close to the Xbox version's sales figures."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, June 15, 2009, 05:58:36 AM »
Yeah, it's a bunch of bullshit.  There's no reason not to make DLC available on a PC version of a game and fuck any company that gives us the shaft.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 15, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
It is completely inexcusable. And the excuses they have given so far, are ridiculous, because they add to the problem which they are presenting as the reason for not releasing DLC in the first place.

I hope my business really takes off so I can get rich and then show these idiots how it is done.

edit:

I guess they mean paid DLC and not free add ons. I guess that sorta makes sense. PC gamers traditionally don't want to pay for DLC anyway, so releasing it would be pointless, since that DLC would be pirated anyway, even by legit buyers of the game.

I've pirated a bit of DLC, I will admit, and it is for games I've bought. It is purely because I am just not used to being nickled and dimed for my games on the PC. I am probably wrong to do so, but I can sorta understand when a developer decides not to go for PC DLC.

Just won't be viable, when PC gamers were going to be the smallest percentage to pay for the game anyway, and then when even a tinier percentage of that small percentage would have paid for the DLC.

On the flip side, you could argue that it wouldn't require a giant effort to release the DLC, and they might as well do it for free a few months after the console versionsm just to buy some goodwill.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »
Atari/Threewave explains lack of PC multiplayer.
Multiplayer for the PC version of Ghostbusters is something that Threewave and Terminal Reality always wanted to do. However, our focus was on making the console version the best that they could be - an experience that allows multiple players to re-live and re-fight many of the themes from the movies. When we looked at the resources necessary to pull off multiplayer on the consoles and the PC, it became a question of what could we do and still be excellent in our execution. We couldn't do all versions with multiplayer simultaneously with the resources that we had available - there was simply too much to do. Something would have to suffer. Therefore, we kept our focus on making the console versions deliver on the promise of being an integral player on the Ghostbusters team.
I don't really care about the game anyway, its just kind of sad that not only does the PC version get the shaft with no multiplayer, but that the MP was made by freaking Threewave of all people and its not on PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 02:13:13 PM »
They could always release a MP component for the PC version as DLC later...FOR FREE, since the other versions have it.

Yeah, and they wonder why PC sales for THEIR games are dropping and why piracy is so rampant...  :o

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »
Well, they wouldnt have to release it for free seeing as how the game is half the price on PC.