Author Topic: Prince of Persia: SoT - replayed  (Read 3522 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Prince of Persia: SoT - replayed
« on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 02:19:06 AM »
My brother was hogging the Xbox and I wasnt interested in the superbowl...whats a guy gonna do? I wanted to play more Tomb Raider, so I reinstalled the next best thing: Sands of Time. In a long marathon with a few food breaks I played through the entire game. Took a bit to get used to the controls (I now see its better suited to a gamepad), and I forgot how mind numbing the combat was. Not so much that the combat itself sucks, but having tons of enemies just "phase in" gets boring. You have no idea when they will stop showing up. It would have been so much better with fewer enemies, or simply spawning all the enemies into a room and fighting them when you got to them. I found a trainer online that would freeze enemies so they dont chase you around or attack so I could dispatch them quickly and get back to the platformy goodness.

Stellar level design. I love "puzzle room" type games (Tomb Raider, PoP...uh...what else?). Probably my favorite "genre" that sadly isnt that large.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Prince of Persia: SoT - replayed
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »
Yeah, it's a pretty awesome game.  Despite massive sync issues that apparently also creep into the sequel and are present even on the Xbox version, which is just... so fucking pathetic it isn't even funny.  Really ruined some of the latter story sequences for me, but apparently it's an extremely common problem that was never fixed.  Still, I loved the game, and I didn't even really mind the combat that much except a bit toward the end.  I picked up the second one in the hopes of forcing myself through it so I could play Two Thrones, but I haven't done it yet.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 09:26:10 AM »
I'm thinking of grabbing the Xbox version because it has both the original PoP and PoP2 as unlockables. I might go for WW or 2T just to get more of the platforming.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »
I loved Sands of Time.  It was a really fun game and stuff.  I've never tried the sequels though.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 12:09:50 PM »
The Prince of Persia games are all awesome, Two Thrones was probably my favorite one.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 12:18:47 PM »
I'm playing Two Thrones right now.  I'm not as impressed with it as I was with the first one, but it's still a stellar game.  I think there may be something about the combat that I just don't get...because it's boring as hell and I get my ass kicked quite a bit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »
I really enjoyed watching the PoP games, but wasn't impressed with the combat. One thing that always irked me was how the poor Prince went hardcore so very slowly.

He started off as a Persian gentleman, and slowly evolved into BADASS NINJA MASTER 4000

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »
PoP: SOT -- yuh, I need to finish that one.
And PoP: WW, as well.

Though, I ain't bought Two Thrones yet, but I really hope they remove StarForce from Two Thrones.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
I picked up the Two Thrones a few months ago, it was 15 bucks so I figured why not. It's quite fun- I enjoy the parts that are challenging, although most puzzles take 30 seconds to figure out.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 08:13:38 PM »
I'm thinking of grabbing the Xbox version because it has both the original PoP and PoP2 as unlockables. I might go for WW or 2T just to get more of the platforming.
Weren't the original Prince of Persia games made by Titus?  The same lame developer that did the infamous Superman 64?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 10:52:49 PM »
I'm playing Two Thrones right now.  I'm not as impressed with it as I was with the first one, but it's still a stellar game.  I think there may be something about the combat that I just don't get...because it's boring as hell and I get my ass kicked quite a bit.

The combat is a lot harder in Two Thrones than the other two titles and has a slightly higher learning curve, I remember having some minor problems at the beginning of the game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 11:52:56 PM »
Weren't the original Prince of Persia games made by Titus?  The same lame developer that did the infamous Superman 64?
Wikipedia states Brøderbund made them, and theres no mention of Titus doing the console ports, either.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »
Titus ported Prince of Persia 2, I think.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 10:04:06 AM »
Oh...huh, you're right. I missed that. They ported PoP2 to the SNES. And they are right, it sucks. It runs at a much faster speed making everything much harder. I thought it was zsnes messing up...turns out its the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
I picked up the Two Thrones a few months ago, it was 15 bucks so I figured why not. It's quite fun- I enjoy the parts that are challenging, although most puzzles take 30 seconds to figure out.

On what system???
The PC? X360? PS3?

I wonder w/ the new SF patch for Vista, if Two Thrones will run on Vista....

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
On what system???
The PC? X360? PS3?

I wonder w/ the new SF patch for Vista, if Two Thrones will run on Vista....

Two Thrones never came out on the next gen systems, just PS2, Xbox, and I think Gamecube.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »
Oh yeah, you're right....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Wow, that's a heck of a deal.

I'd even consider the 4-pack deal for $34.95.

That ain't a bad deal, either.

And oh yeah - I'd love to see a sequel to the magical Prince of Persia 2008, one day...