Author Topic: Finished Dead Rising  (Read 10157 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Finished Dead Rising
« on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »
And I'm pissed!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Finished Dead Rising
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
I'm trying to remember how the first ending actually went, and that doesn't sound all that off.  Keep in mind that...

(click to show/hide)

Did the credits roll or did you "lose"?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:02:05 PM »
What is overtime mode?  The only option I had to start the game was 72-hour mode.

Yeah, I just read a guide and you only get overtime mode by

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
Ah, well that's weak.  Overtime mode is awesome.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »
Anywhere on the helipad area is fine.  I don't think that's the problem.

(click to show/hide)

Bigger
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:34:41 PM »
The more I hear about this game, the more it sounds gimmicky. I was hoping for a survival zombie game, and instead it just sounds like it has a lot of elements that take you away from the setting. I wouldn't expect any less from a console developer, but am I wrong? Do you guys think there are many instances that break the suspension of disbelief?

I am about to get a 360 for my bro, and will definitely play Dead Rising on it first, but a couple of things worry me. Here is the Gamespot review:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadrising/review.html?sid=6155398

The real-time structuring of Dead Rising has its unique qualities, but it doesn't always work particularly well. Specifically, the mission structure and the game's rather punishing save system simply don't get along with one another. Save points are scattered in a few specific spots throughout the mall, and you only get one save per storage device on the Xbox 360. Considering most people probably only have one storage device, that means one save for the whole game. The inherent problem with this is that because the game revolves so heavily on a rigid schedule for the case files, if you save yourself into a corner where you can't feasibly get to that next case file in time, you're screwed. All the case files are connected, and if you fail to get to one on time, the trail goes cold and you're unable to pick up any of the other story missions.

Interestingly enough, if this nightmare scenario happens, you can opt to save the game with Frank's current level and abilities intact and start the whole story over (which you'll basically have to do if you find yourself in this position anyway). Doing this does make it easier to bust through the parts you've already played, but it's still an obnoxious thing to have to deal with. By nature, having to be places on time is not an inherently fun thing. It's especially frustrating when the penalty for not being somewhere on time is the whole story mode ending and you having to start over from hopefully a close enough spot to eventually make it. Thankfully, Dead Rising turns out to be a game you'll want to play through multiple times. But potentially forcing players to replay sections because of an overly punishing save system is the polar opposite of fun.

That sounds insane. Have they released a patch?

What's more, there are tons of bizarre and hilarious ways to use these objects. Say, for instance, you find a novelty mask inside a toy store. Rather than simply bludgeon a zombie to death with it, you can put it over its head and watch it stumble around blindly, completely unable to detect you. Find a jar of cooking oil inside a mall diner, and explode it onto the floor. Then toss a nearby severed arm into the thick of it, and watch the zombies slip and slide all over the place as they struggle for their meal. Frank's also got a number of truly insane hand-to-hand combat moves he can gain throughout the course of the game. From punching a zombie in the gut and disemboweling it with a single thrust to wacky wrestling moves like German suplexes and giant swings, odds are you've never combated the undead quite like this. It's very entertaining, and the combat controls make it a breeze to pull most all these moves off. The moves themselves are simplistic, and there are no combos or other complications to worry about. It's just about getting a weapon into your hand and pressing the right attack buttons to bludgeon, stab, or shoot away.

hahaha that sounds so crazy and awesome. Screw this, I want to play this now!!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:41:43 PM »
I'm pretty much sick of defending the game.  It's awesome.  If you don't like it, your loss.  Just try it and find out.  It definitely has problems and is far from a perfect game, but the good stuff makes up for it.  That's about all I have the patience to say at this point.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:46:46 PM »
The problem is that, unless you know in advance what you're getting into, you are going to be very frustrated by those things you quoted.  The game is made to be played repeatedly, as you level up.  It's sort of like Groundhog Day in that respect.  As you gain experience, you can address the requirements with better timing and understanding.

Having said that, the save system is definitely poor.  I'm lucky in that I have both the HDD and a memory card, so what I ended up doing is using the HDD for the safe saves (beginning of chapters, usually), and the memory card for the in-between saves.  That way, if I got stuck in a situation with not enough time left, I could go back to the safe save.  With the HDD or a memory card alone, you don't have this luxury.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:47:10 PM »
I was actually seeking a more impartial opinion which is why I was asking Scottws and Cobra. The game is $65 here so that's why.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »
My opinion went from "this sucks!" to "I can't stop playing this!"  If you get past the multi-game learning curve, I think you will love it.  The one and and only gripe I have not been able to address is the constant accidental roll-forward moves.  Double tapping an omnidirectional analog joystick is not at all like double tapping left or right on a D-Pad.  Whoever came up with this mechanic needs to die a painful death.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
I was actually seeking a more impartial opinion which is why I was asking Scottws and Cobra. The game is $65 here so that's why.

Well, the game is sixty bucks here, too.  Or at least it was when I picked it up.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Well, the game is sixty bucks here, too.  Or at least it was when I picked it up.

What do you want me to say?  :o

My opinion went from "this sucks!" to "I can't stop playing this!"  If you get past the multi-game learning curve, I think you will love it.  The one and and only gripe I have not been able to address is the constant accidental roll-forward moves.  Double tapping an omnidirectional analog joystick is not at all like double tapping left or right on a D-Pad.  Whoever came up with this mechanic needs to die a painful death.

Thanks for the info Cobra. The fun stuff described in the reviews certainly seems awesome. Hey does this have some split screen action?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »
Don't want you to say anything.  I was just mentioning that it's pricey here as well, so you aren't alone in your fears of blowing money.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 04:33:22 PM »
I know. The only reason I was seeking Cobra's and Scottw's opinion rather than yours isn't because I don't respect yours, because I do. It is because you are fond of the genre far more than I, and would thus be more willing to look past any flaws. Like for example if Diablo 3, Neverwinter Nights 3 or Civilization 5 came out, I'd be less impartial than some more neutral to those sort of games.

I already know where you stand on the game, and that's about all I know. Cobra and Scottws have both professed their love for the game as well as the frustrations it has caused them, so I was wondering how at the end of it all it stands.

It isn't that I am not a fan of the zombie theme. On the contrary, I love anything post apocalyptic, especially when it has something to do with zombies. I've seen Dawn of the Dead a gazillion times, and that scene shot from top of the mall where they show all those zombies going about just fascinates me.

My ideal zombie game would be very realistic, with humanity slowly being erased out. It would be a frightening, bleak and humorless game that would show how the last few humans are dealing with hopelessness. Actually it would be a lot like the first half of 28 days later, minus the stupid zombies.

Obviously this game isn't like that at all, but I was just thinking out loud there.

Anyway I will pick this up soon and let you guys know what I think. : )

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »
I know. The only reason I was seeking Cobra's and Scottw's opinion rather than yours isn't because I don't respect yours, because I do. It is because you are fond of the genre far more than I, and would thus be more willing to look past any flaws. Like for example if Diablo 3, Neverwinter Nights 3 or Civilization 5 came out, I'd be less impartial than some more neutral to those sort of games.
Oooooh @ NWN III.

Sounds good. :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 08:01:34 PM »
I really like the game.  It's the best zombie game I've ever played by far, but it took me a long time to get over its flaws.

I initially ooked at the game more as a movie, a story about a town infected with zombies and your struggle to survive in it.  But I had to come to grips with the fact that it's a game, and has boss characters that would have no place in such a movie.

Once I got over it, I fell in love with the game.  It definitely one of the better games on the 360, and as I said before it is the best zombie game ever made IMO.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »
Damn....we really need a PC port of this one, Capcom....

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 11:33:19 PM »
So yeah, I went back and used a glitch to be able to play the game with no required missions.  Now I have all the time in the world to complete zombie genocider.  Well, 72 hours anyway.

I realized though that I'm going to have to go back again and get the unbreakable and punisher achievements too, so I can complete the Mega Man outfit.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 02:47:03 AM »
So yeah, I went back and used a glitch to be able to play the game with no required missions.

:o  Had not heard about that one.

(click to show/hide)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 07:52:18 AM »
:o  Had not heard about that one.

Yeah, it's a glitch.  Here's the explaination/how it's done.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 07:57:06 AM »
Interesting....
...So, is Capcom gonna patch that glitch up???

Or are they gonna let it stick just like the "font" issue that needed patching, but they decided they just won't patch???

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 08:21:31 AM »
I wouldn't think they'd patch it up as the only way you'd really experience it is if you purposely waste a bunch of time at the beginning.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 09:38:55 AM »
I wouldn't think they'd patch it up as the only way you'd really experience it is if you purposely waste a bunch of time at the beginning.
Ah, I see.....

...But, it's still an exploit...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
So what.  It's not like it's a multiplayer game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
So what.  It's not like it's a multiplayer game.
Point taken...

...But it's still a bug. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »
Nobody cares.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 01:35:06 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »
Yeah, it's a glitch.  Here's the explaination/how it's done.

. . .

Wow.  I'm going to have to try that for the hell of it.  I'll take any excuse I find to get back into DR.   :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
Damn you all.....

All this DR talk, I want a PC port like....NOW!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 07:23:36 PM »
Don't hold your breath.  Capcom doens't do PC ports, do they?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 07:41:35 PM »
I tried the demo for this game and wasn't too impressed with it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 09:33:09 PM »
Don't hold your breath.  Capcom doens't do PC ports, do they?

Res Evil 4 is bound for official release on the PC VERY SOON.

The newest Devil May Cry is at stores for the PC...
What is it? DMC3? Or 4?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:48:03 PM »

What is it? DMC3? Or 4?

The newest is DMC 3, DMC4 is coming out PS3 sometime this year.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #33 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 01:23:17 AM »
I enjoyed RE4 for all the twenty minutes that I tried it, but really couldn't go much further. I need motivation to revisit it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 01:34:33 AM »
I was tempted to get DMC3 for PC.  It's like twenty bucks and I'd totally play it on my nice monitor and stuff.  But I haven't read a review of the PC version yet, so I held off.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 01:36:09 AM »
I was tempted to get DMC3 for PC.  It's like twenty bucks and I'd totally play it on my nice monitor and stuff.  But I haven't read a review of the PC version yet, so I held off.

Sorry to derail the thread more, but if you don't own any of the Devil May Cry games at all you can pick up a 3 pack of all three games on PS2 for $30 and it has the special edition of DMC3 where you can play as Dante's brother Vergil.  Yeah, the second game sucked, but you'll have the other two.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 01:38:12 AM »
Oh, I already own all of them.  Well, not 2, but 1 and 3.  I just wouldn't mind having 3 on my PC.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 05:37:53 AM »
I hated DMC.  I sold it back to EB Games within a week.  It was one of the few games I ever sold back as used.

What is it? DMC3? Or 4?
Well, on that kind of schedule then I guess you'll be waiting another 3 years or so before you see a Dead Rising port on the PC, if one is ever made.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 12, 2007, 05:59:37 AM by scottws »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #38 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 10:07:22 PM »
I enjoyed RE4 for all the twenty minutes that I tried it, but really couldn't go much further. I need motivation to revisit it.

Zomg you need to play more RE4.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #39 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 10:49:40 PM »
Tell me why I need to play it more.