Author Topic: Idea for a zombie game  (Read 3197 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Idea for a zombie game
« on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »
Kojima had an idea, but his idea sucks. But it did spark an idea in my head, something that could end up being fun as a multiplayer game.

You start as a living human, play as a FPS...the usual zombie blasting fun. Oh noes! You get bit! You die! So now you're a zombie and get to hunt the people that used to be your teammates.

Zombies arent known for their coordination, and playing a zombie in FPS makes you seem too smart. So I thought a 3rd-person view where you dont have direct control would be pretty cool. Click the ground to where you want to go type control (diablo/titan quest style). Zombies have a basic AI that you can influence, so clicking the ground will give it a nudge in that direction. If it sees something along the way it may get distracted, or lose interest and wander in a different direction. Make it more zombie-like instead of direct control human thinking-like zombies. If you get near other zombies maybe you could influence the entire group.

I dunno...could be cool.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Idea for a zombie game
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »
Kojima had an idea, but his idea sucks. But it did spark an idea in my head, something that could end up being fun as a multiplayer game.

You start as a living human, play as a FPS...the usual zombie blasting fun. Oh noes! You get bit! You die! So now you're a zombie and get to hunt the people that used to be your teammates.
Seems weird that you'd start the game as a FPS as a human, then spin it into a point-and-click zombie action game.

Why don't the entire game be a 3rd person point-and-click action game??? There are games that are 3rd person point and click action games, w/ guns and stuff in real time and all, like the Alien Shooter games Que likes and Commandos series games. It's not much different then playing a point-and-click RPG where you're a ranger/archer type of character.

Zombies arent known for their coordination, and playing a zombie in FPS makes you seem too smart. So I thought a 3rd-person view where you dont have direct control would be pretty cool. Click the ground to where you want to go type control (diablo/titan quest style). Zombies have a basic AI that you can influence, so clicking the ground will give it a nudge in that direction. If it sees something along the way it may get distracted, or lose interest and wander in a different direction. Make it more zombie-like instead of direct control human thinking-like zombies. If you get near other zombies maybe you could influence the entire group.

I dunno...could be cool.
I like this idea.

EDIT:
I got another idea.

You can switch in-game at anytime and anywhere, regardless of human or zombie, b/t 3 views:
1. First person action view and controls (like Oblivion, Dark Messiah and Doom)
2. Third person action view and controls (like say Splinter Cell or Fable)
2. 3rd-person click-and-point game view and controls (like say Diablo and Titan Quest).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »
The reason I want to switch to 3rd person as zombie is because its not really "you"....its "zombie you".It should feel different.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
An alternate approach would be to blur out your vision, and maybe color-key fresh (live) meat to stand out, but you wouldn't recognize faces very well.  The response of your inputs and movement speed would then be slowed down, and some wobble or something could be added.  Your attack commands could be reduced to something like grab, swing, and bite.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 07:40:09 PM »
I think idol's idea is actually quite cool.  I like the perspective switch, and I could totally see myself digging on that concept.  Really combining two different types of gameplay in this sort of game isn't commonly done.  I think it's original and fun-sounding.  I dig!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »
One thing....

Let me know when the game is made.
I am a fan of FPS's and click-and-point RPG's. :)

And w/ zombies in it, should be interesting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 08:23:37 PM »
I think idol's idea is actually quite cool.
I do, too.

I like the perspective switch, and I could totally see myself digging on that concept.  Really combining two different types of gameplay in this sort of game isn't commonly done.  I think it's original and fun-sounding.  I dig!
That's what I'm saying, Que.

One moment, you jump way out of the battle into click-and-point mode.

Next moment, you want to *be* the head zombie and kick-ass in direct-action mode.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 08:52:17 PM »
Interesting idea, but I think it would be more frustrating than fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 09:19:47 PM »
Well, the game would be fun in the sense of action for the human players.  The fun in zombie-mode would be (hopefully) the humor of your zombie doing funny stuff, getting blasted in entertaining ways, and then occasionally managing to actually kill a human in particularly grisly fashion every now and again with some of your equally-stiff zombie buddies.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:58:57 PM »
Good idea, Que. I think it would be fun if it was less serious and more light hearted. Like...cel-shaded zombies! Do a bunch of funny animations and things that can get zombies (and humans) into trouble.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 01:00:57 AM »
Sounds fun, although for it to work in multiplayer you would have to have someone start out as a zombie.

I think it would be a cooler single player game. You have a storyline- zombies are attacking, etc. If you end up getting bitten throughout the course of the game, you turn into a zombie, and the storyline changes to fit this.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 05:44:46 AM »
Sounds fun, although for it to work in multiplayer you would have to have someone start out as a zombie.

I think it would be a cooler single player game. You have a storyline- zombies are attacking, etc. If you end up getting bitten throughout the course of the game, you turn into a zombie, and the storyline changes to fit this.
I dunno, but I think it'd be cool if in Multi-Player, you had a Human Vs. Zombie mode.

In this mode, at least one person be a zombie, the rest humans. The object for the zombie: convert them all over by the game's over.

The objective of the human: destroy all the zombies.