Author Topic: PSX games you should be playing on your PSP  (Read 1991 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
PSX games you should be playing on your PSP
« on: Monday, February 19, 2007, 05:15:31 PM »
I should note that I don't have a psp, so I can't tell you if these will run or not, but if I did these are the games I'd be playing:

1.) Tomba!: Pink hair, run around hitting pigs with a blackjack or boomerang before you hop on them and toss them into other pigs.  2D platformer with some 3d elements and a type of mission based gameplay that equals hours of fun.

2.) Tomba! 2: 2d gameplay, 3d graphics, and more of the same. 

3.)Klonoa: door to Phantomile:  Probably the best platformer on the PSX. Also a '2.5D' game, you control a cat/rabbit thing with 2 moves:  a jump and the ability to blow up enemies and grab them.  Use these two moves to beat the game in different ways. 

4.) Threads of Fate: Simple action RPG with colourful graphics and two playable characters.  Play as Rue, a male with the ability to turn into animals, or Mint, a female who can use magic.  Rue's storyline is probably the main part of the game, with  a more serious tone.  Mint's, on the other hand, is more of a parody.

5.)Strider 2: This arcade port is a bit short, but a fun side scroller regardless.   

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: PSX games you should be playing on your PSP
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 19, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »
I don't know that I'd agree with you on any of those other than Klonoa.  I haven't actually played that one, either, but I've always wanted to.  Got the PS2 game and enjoyed it quite a bit but heard the original was even better.  Right now I've got Legend of Mana, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, and Vagrant Story on my PSP.  It's good times.

EDIT - And that isn't to say any of those are bad games, I just don't feel like playing any of them much at the moment except for Klonoa.  Though I wouldn't mind playing through the Strider games again.  It's been a long ass time.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 19, 2007, 07:44:56 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 19, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »
Threads of Fate was a somewhat surprisingly fun game, short, but fun.  Another fun RPG that is a little similar to Threads of Fate but a lot more fun and has more content is Brave Fencer Musashi, don't know if that will run on a PSP though.  I haven't played Strider in awhile, I would like to play them again though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 03:44:24 AM »
Oh yeah! Brave Fencer Musashi was pretty cool! I also played Musashi on the PS2 (it's not exactly a sequel, but it is a successor). It was not bad, but a little too kiddy.

Strider 2 was a lot of fun. Crazy cyber-ninja action.

I would recommend Legend of Mana as well (I'm playing it now, and I'm still trying to get the hang of it). It's definitely got some of the best art I've seen in a PS RPG, it's unique.

One of my favourite RPG's was Breath of Fire 4. I was playing it on the emulator a few months back.