Author Topic: Wing Commander Arena baby!  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Wing Commander Arena baby!
« on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
Almost makes me want Xbox live heh.

Old-time gamers who remember EGA graphics and tweaking expanded memory settings are sure to rejoice the comeback of Wing Commander. Electronic Arts is bringing back the classic space game, which pitted humans versus the cat-like Kilrathi, to the Xbox Live Arcade. The game will feature up to 16-player deathmatches and the best players can compete and climb up a ladder board ranking system.

Unlike the traditional games, Wing Commander Arena is purely focused on shoot-em-up combat rather than extensive exploring and missions. There will be single player and free-for-all type matches along with some team play. Players can customize their ships and fire traditional weapons like torpedoes and gravity bombs.

Electronic Arts says Wing Commander Arena will be available this summer. There's no word about Mark Hamil making a special appearance.

Makes me smile. I wish they'd bring Wing Commander back.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Wing Commander Arena baby!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
Wing Commander : Wing Commander Arena :: MechWarrior : MechAssault

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »
well apparently it sucks balls. it's basically a glorified asteroids - on a 2d plane and everything.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »
Not much of a shocker there.  This franchise died a long time ago.  I was a fan back then, but even I see no need for it to make a return.  It really ran itself into the ground toward the end.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 26, 2007, 06:37:19 AM »
No comment on the game, but yes I remember tweaking extended and expanded memory settings and trying to get something to boot with a whopping 640k of RAM available until you could call up more RAM.  And having boot discs for pretty much every game.  That was a boatload of fun.  Not.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 02:37:41 PM »
I hated boot disks, so I came up with a multi-boot menu.  I had about 8 entries in it, with different kinds and amounts of extended/expanded memory and variations on other stuff I can't remember.

I can't trust anything EA does anymore.