Author Topic: Warhammer 40k MMO in the works  (Read 2708 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Warhammer 40k MMO in the works
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »
Actually, that's just the sound of another franchise name suddenly going the MMO route...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 08:28:55 PM »
I can't say jack and/or shit until I see screens and see where the art is going, etc.  That's the very first step for me.  Fuck that up, you lose, and that's a huuuuge undertaking, even for an MMO which may potentially have more money to throw at such things.  There's just so much uniqueness that you'll have to represent if you're going an RPG route, because you won't just be sitting in battlefields.  This is going to be a massive undertaking requiring a fleshed out society that isn't just straight combat.  I honestly don't know how they're going to pull it off, but it'll be interesting to see.

The one thing I'm happy about?  THQ has it and not EA.  I mourned the death of the fantasy Warhammer MMO being given to EA.  Stupid fuckers.

Anyway, this is really something that we'll have to wait and see on I think.  There's just no way to say "yay!" yet, but not necessarily any reason to get pissed.  Also, I'm less annoyed with this going MMO because of the simple fact that the games are very much multiplayer experiences, so it's a natural progression.  Of all the franchises to do this with, this one makes sense.  Warcraft, while ultimately a success, didn't make sense in the same way.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 11:40:42 PM »
I really doubt anyone can really pull it off to be brutally honest. Tackling the universe on something outside of the battlefield would be a huge undertaking that would require some serious skills in both the raw gaming department and technical prowess. The universe isn't really designed in such a way that individuals really don't matter. There are a few heros and characters, but for every person who become known there are billions of people who amount to little more than fodder. I guess it could work if it was locked to a single planet (some redneck planet), but that's also not what 40K is really about. Almost no one has the freedom to go where they want and do what they wish, so any game that gives you choices like that sorta goes against the actual spirit of the universe as well.

I guess it could work with something near the visual style of 40K, and be 40K in spirit, but not true 40K. Really, who wants to play a game where you're born into an ultra oppressive society and then told you live and die only for the God Emperor. If you're "lucky," you're born onto a hell planet where managing to survive means you get a chance to be a Space Marine and if you manage to survive the initiation you get to spend the rest of your life in constant battle and prayer (actually, that could make a pretty bad ass single player game). The point is, very few people actually get any sort of freedom in 40K and that's a huge requirement for a MMO.

I'll wait and see, but I won't hold my breath.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 12:15:58 AM »
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I wanted to be positive.  Because I really, really want to see a crazy huge Imperial city with all the nutjobs and wires and gun servitors and... yeah.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 01:13:41 AM »
I'm going to wait and see but I'm with Sy this will be tricky even for the best of developers.
I wonder how the non 40K warhammer MMO is going?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 01:21:42 AM »
It's with EA.

(Which means it's not going well.)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 01:24:36 AM »
Even though they're under EA, the Mythic people seem pretty cool. I know some of you watched the interviews with the head guy at E3 and he seems like a total nut, but in a good way.

Still, I think the game is doomed to failure and it has nothing to do with the game itself. Rather, the existence of WoW pretty much kills it, even more so that the game is probably taking a large some of money to develop.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 01:39:48 PM »
It's with EA.

(Which means it's not going well.)

haha well I'm (again) with Sy on this its doomed becuase the MMO would have little to do with the game, which is too bad becuae 40K is a gold mine waiting for a decent developer, I just don't think this is it.
But if the game was all about PvP think sort of like AV in WoW - 40+ people on either side in a PvP setting, fighting it out for different objectives. Think of it like the "world PvP" in WoW where the zone has a few PvP capture points (or something) but in this game the PvP component is the main focus, and the rest of the game was built around that. Then maybe this would be closer to the 40K game we all know.
I think if the developers were willing to take some risks and break away from the pack on this they could deliver a very different experience one that better reflects 40K.... but I just don't see that happening.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 10:58:45 PM »
That's actually not a bad idea. Keep the focus on the battles and you've got a shot. I like that.