Author Topic: PC Vs. Console Gaming, Multi-Platforming And Piracy Articles  (Read 7345 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: PC Vs. Console Gaming, Multi-Platforming And Piracy Articles
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 05:29:21 PM »
It still hasn't fully made the transition.  I have the DVD edition of F.E.A.R., but F.E.A.R. Extraction Point only comes on 2 CDs.

That brings up something else I was thinking about.  It would be nice if it was standard industry practice to release original games on DVD with the DVD case containing the tall spindle.  Then I wouldn't care if the expansion(s) came in paper sleeves.  I could stick the discs on the spindle in the case for the original game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
I've noticed a lot of games come in those spindle cases. I've got Titan Quest, Company of Heroes, Fable, World of Warcraft (you get them from buying those time cards), Guild Wars, Dawn of War Dark Crusade, and Brothers in Arms.

The Dawn of War one is great because I've put all my DoW discs in the one case.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »
It still hasn't fully made the transition.  I have the DVD edition of F.E.A.R., but F.E.A.R. Extraction Point only comes on 2 CDs.

That brings up something else I was thinking about.  It would be nice if it was standard industry practice to release original games on DVD with the DVD case containing the tall spindle.  Then I wouldn't care if the expansion(s) came in paper sleeves.  I could stick the discs on the spindle in the case for the original game.

Oooh, good point.

I have my copy of Knights of the Nine and inside that case, is that small little spindle pole to stick your discs on. My copy of Oblivion came in a freakin' paper sleeve; thanks, 2K Games!!! Well, thanks me buying KOTN expansion that BethSoft published, which has the KOTN game come in a nice case w/ that spindle pole, I just put my original copy of Oblivion right on that same pole w/ KOTN. Oblivion manual fits in there, too. That works for me.

I also did the same w/ DS2. Microsoft's published Dungeon Siege 2 comes w/ the game on a bunch of discs, all which come in a DVD style case w/ the spindel pole to put all the discs on. Well, 2K published the expansion and it came in a paper sleeve. I just took the expansion disc and threw it right on that DVD pole for DS2. The manual for DS2 and DS2: Broken World do both fit in there together, which is good.

I've noticed a lot of games come in those spindle cases. I've got Titan Quest, Company of Heroes, Fable, World of Warcraft (you get them from buying those time cards), Guild Wars, Dawn of War Dark Crusade, and Brothers in Arms.

The Dawn of War one is great because I've put all my DoW discs in the one case.

Yes, I also like the CD/DVD spindle cases. Those are fine to me.

Fable, TQ DVD Edition, Black & White 2, B&W2 expansion, DS2 -- yeah, a lot of games come in those. I think those look like they are more so than ever becoming the norm for PC gaming.

Those DVD Spindels sure beat the paper sleeves. Especially since I can keep my game manual(s) RIGHT INSIDE w/ the game disc(s).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 06:30:38 PM »
I gotta' agree with the spindle thing.  I did the same as idol what with putting all my Dawn of War stuff in that case, including all the CD keys and stuff.  Awesome!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »
I gotta' agree with the spindle thing.  I did the same as idol what with putting all my Dawn of War stuff in that case, including all the CD keys and stuff.  Awesome!

Plus, the spindel case is often great b/c on the left side of the open-case, you can fit the game manual(s) right in there!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 11:14:35 PM »
I'm really suprised that the move to DVD took so long for games.  It's garbage.

For some reason it happened in the UK years ago.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 03:43:48 AM »
Tall spindle cases?  What's that?  All I see are the typical one-disc clicky things.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 04:36:06 AM »
Tall spindle cases?  What's that?  All I see are the typical one-disc clicky things.
It's the same except the case is thicker and the clicky thing is much longer. The case is about as thick as a VHS tape. Handy.

I'm grateful that the European titles have been in DVD format for a good while now, and games generally come in DVD cases now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
Oh.  That could really be useful.  I'm thinking I could even use a shelf-full of these to hold several video DVD-Rs apiece.  The spine should be thick enough to list the contents.  But why would games come in such containers?  Wouldn't the extra space be wasted?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 03:36:45 PM »
Oh.  That could really be useful.  I'm thinking I could even use a shelf-full of these to hold several video DVD-Rs apiece.  The spine should be thick enough to list the contents.  But why would games come in such containers?  Wouldn't the extra space be wasted?
Yeah, my Splinter Cell DA came in one, and it's a single DVD.. The case can hold 5 discs, and I have no idea why they didn't just put it in a regular DVD case.

Hmm, I have an idea.. My Dawn of War collection is three DVD's, in three separate DVD cases.. I coult switch one out with SCDA.. I'll have to match the spines though.. Nah, I won't touch my DoW! I'll have to find an alternative way!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »
MAXIMUM RESURRECTION!!

I thought this article was interesting: Eight Ways Consoles Are Helping PC Gaming

I'm definitely biased towards the PC, it's my primary platform, so that read really elevated my PC gaming mood :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 06:22:45 AM »
That article should be renamed "Eight Ways We Think Consoles Are Too Inferior to Get in the Way of PC Gaming".  It would be a much more accurate introduction ("Shiny New Toys" notwithstanding).