Author Topic: The Ultimate Call of Duty 4 thread.  (Read 18427 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
The Ultimate Call of Duty 4 thread.
« on: Saturday, April 21, 2007, 06:19:07 AM »
So, what should we expect from the Infinity Ward to announce on April 28, 2007?

Call of Duty 4?
A new IP game of their own???
Or will they be making a game off someone else's IP?

<boring update>

Insert boring update about some mundane 'what we're doing' detail that no one actually cares about (such as new employees or kleenex testing) because they're just reading these updates for the glimpse hope that we'll slip and say something we're not suppose to about our next title, or that we're going to allude to the fact that maybe, just maybe something that actually is interesting is coming up in the near future (and by near future I mean next Saturday).

</boring update>

Amazing Things To Happen On April 28th:

1758 - James Monroe, 5th President of the United States is born.

1788 - Maryland becomes the seventh state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.

1932 - A vaccine for yellow fever is announced for use on humans.

(Then nothing really happened for a long time.... but now....)

2007 - What goes down this April 28th is equal to, if not surpasses, the magnitude of any of those.

Whose ready?!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 04:13:22 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Infinity Ward has plans to announce something for April 28, 2007
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 22, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »
Couldn't this post be made when there actually is something to announce?  As it stands it's like, "We announce that we will announce something."

This isn't news.  Game companies are always making new games.  It's what they do.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 22, 2007, 07:38:53 PM »
Couldn't this post be made when there actually is something to announce?  As it stands it's like, "We announce that we will announce something."

This isn't news.  Game companies are always making new games.  It's what they do.
They just want gamers to speculate what it'll be.

I'm guessing CoD 4, myself....

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 22, 2007, 09:51:06 PM »

Agreed.  I wish companies would realize that overhyping a game, especially if it ends up being delayed is just as bad as underhyping it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 22, 2007, 10:48:48 PM »
Yes, announcements of future announcements are worthless and really don't need their own thread unless they bear some kind of amazing potential.  This doesn't.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 22, 2007, 11:31:14 PM »
Yes, announcements of future announcements are worthless and really don't need their own thread unless they bear some kind of amazing potential.  This doesn't.

Agreed.
By the way there's already (yet) another CoD game game coming I thinks its called Airborne or Germany vs Mars or something.
I hope its not CoD 4 - come on lets see something new or I'll care less about the real announcement than I do about this "news" item.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Activision has confirmed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare with CVG this afternoon, saying that a first video from the sequel will be shown in the US at the weekend.

CoD 4 is being developed by Infinity Ward (responsible for the original Call of Duty game on PC and Call of Duty 2), and the video will show during the NFL draft on ESPN over the pond at 1pm EDT/10am PDT.

We're expecting to have the video shortly after its airing on ESPN.

Activision isn't spilling any details on Modern Warfare, but rumour of the sequel hitting back in March 2006 suggested it deals with tackling terrorists around the globe in an attempt to thwart plans that involve unleashing an arsenal of chemical weapons.

Players, according to the rumour, will operate as part of the S.A.S., US Marines and the US Army, with the action occurring in such locations as the Middle-East, the streets of Eastern Europe, aboard sea vessels in the North Atlantic and London.

Lending credence to this info is the fact that it was accompanied at the time by rumoured details on Call of Duty 3, which turned out to be pretty much spot on.
Why would you debut on ESPN during a football draft?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 08:48:49 AM »
Because the target audience for this game (and all video games) is males aged 18-24, which will be exactly who is watching the football draft. It has nothing to do with football.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »
What the Indian leader said.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »
So, is it coming to the PC?

And will CoD 3 (not developed by Infinity Ward) come to the PC?
Will someone port that over???

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 01:55:21 PM »
I dont think we'll see a CoD3 port. Currently no word on the platforms CoD4 will be on...but its IW so I bet PC will be one.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »
Only reason anyone might care is because its "modern warfare" so for me at least I might start to care after the 28th. But if this game turns out anything like CoD3's gameplay I'll give it a miss.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »
Well, well, well -- a PC version is coming!!!

Oh yeah, so are PS3 and X-Box 360 versions, too.

Call of Duty 4 Announced - PC Plans Confirmed [May 25, 2007, 5:51 pm ET] - Post a Comment
Though already revealed in a well-publicized (story) trailer (story), Activision and Infinity Ward now officially announce Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and confirming the upcoming modernized continuation of the shooter series that began with World War II will return to its PC roots this time around after a console-only CoD3. Here's word on the game, which is due for Windows, Xbox 360, and PS3 this fall:

Santa Monica, CA – May 25, 2007 – Grab your flashbangs and prepare to break cover for the most intense and cinematic Call of Duty® experience ever as Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) and Infinity Ward today confirmed development of Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare™. The new action-thriller from the award-winning creators of the Call of Duty series will arm gamers with the most advanced and powerful arsenal of modern day firepower to fight a new war in the world’s most treacherous hotspots.

“Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the most intense, visceral title we’ve ever created,” says Jason West, co-studio head and project lead, Infinity Ward. “The single player campaign is a well-paced, non-stop action experience. As the story unfolds, the player is introduced to new gameplay at every turn – one moment you are fast-roping from your Blackhawk helicopter after storming into the war zone with an armada of choppers, the next you are a sniper, under concealment, in a Ghillie suit miles behind enemy lines, the next you are engaging hostiles from an AC-130 gunship thousands of feet above the battlefield.”

Mixed with explosive action, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare also delivers amazing special effects, including use of depth of field, rim-lighting, character self-shadowing, real time post-processing, texture streaming as well as physics-enabled effects to enlist players into the most photo-realistic gaming experience. Combined with Call of Duty’s award-winning audio design, players will face war as never before.

In addition to single player, Infinity Ward has deployed a dedicated team from the start to deliver a new level of depth to multiplayer. Building on the hit Call of Duty 2 online experience, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare’s new multiplayer is set to provide the community an addictive and accessible experience to gamers of all levels.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is in development for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows® PC. The title is scheduled for release this fall and has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

Players anxious to answer the call can visit www.charlieoscardelta.com for additional information and exclusive updates.

Offline wizall

Re: Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat for PC, PS3, and X360
« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 12:23:57 AM »
No "Live Anywhere" for CoD4.

The studio head goes into why it's generally idiotic to have players on multiple platforms competing simultaneously.  Nothing we haven't heard--or thought of--before, but it's always nice to hear it from people in prominent positions.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 18, 2007, 01:04:18 AM by wizall »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat for PC, PS3, and X360
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 07:20:40 AM »
Call of Duty 4: SP Demo due out Thursday, Oct 10th.

Call Of Duty 4 PC Single Player Demo Next Week

Yahoo Games has revealed that a PC single player demo of Call of Duty 4 will be released on Thursday, Oct. 11. The web site has a brief preview of the demo (called The Bog) for the Infinity Ward-Activision modern day shooter which is scheduled to be released to stores in early November.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat -- Update: PC SP Demo Due Out THURSDAY (Oct 10
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 04:12:59 PM »
CoD4 requirements from the demo have been revealed

Call of Duty 4 Demo Specs [October 10, 2007, 4:30 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

Activision sends a note about the promised demo for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Infinity Ward's upcoming military shooter sequel. They say the demo "will be out later this week," suggesting the report that it is due tomorrow (story) is not carved in stone. In the meantime, they send along the requirements for the demo to see how your system stacks up:

“Recommended Specs”

CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better is recommended
    RAM: 1GB for XP; 2GB for Vista is recommended
    Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space
    Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better

“Required (min) Specs”

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
    RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
    Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space
    Video card (generic): NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800Pro or better

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat -- Update: Requirements from Demo REVEALED
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »
D if no one posts after your post, why not edit it to add what you have to say, instead of making a new post?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »
D if no one posts after your post, why not edit it to add what you have to say, instead of making a new post?

All he sees is +1 to his post count.  Robots think in numbers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »
 >:( @ all the MyD Bashing.

EDIT:
Demo's out, BTW.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 02:15:09 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
No one is bashing you my friend, but you have an important function on this forum. I get much of gaming news thanks to you. Why not edit the first post to add your updates so that they don't get lost among the replies? If you aren't posting a news update, then a regular style reply in conversation is perfect. But it would be far cooler if your news updates just happen on the first post. If you are replying to someone in the thread, then go with the flow as you do, but news updates could be done on the first post with edits. You edit the subject title as it is, so it could work out?

Just my thoughts.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »
Youbring much of this upon yourself man, and Pug is right about posting updates and such.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 09:39:02 PM »
GameSpot
Gertsmann of GameSpot gives it a 9.0...
...and complains about how short the SP Campaign is.

Quote from: Gertsmann
Unfortunately, it's about half as long as the average shooter, and there are plenty of sequences where you wish there were just one or two more hills to take.

IGN
9.4 from IGN
Closing Comments
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a fantastic game. The single-player experience is easily Infinity Ward's best work to date. Calling it intense may be an understatement. The overall story is standard action movie fare, but the relationships built over the short five hours of play are surprisingly strong. Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.

Infinity Ward has done it again. Call of Duty 4 is a winner.
FIVE hours short on the SP?!?!?!

Ummmmm....

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 11:04:59 PM »
I dont think a whole lot of people care about the single player for this game.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 11:16:34 PM »
I do...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 11:23:58 PM »
Yeah, I totally do as well.  I'm all about CoD SP.  I don't think I've even touched the MP in 1 or 2.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 12:13:22 AM »
I guess it is because we are looking at it from a PC gamer's perspective and Keebler is looking at it as a console gamer.

I remember CoD1 had some brilliant gameplay for which it received acclaim at the time. When it hit the consoles, it became better known for its multiplayer component.

I also apologize to Keebler for calling him a console gamer. Not even he deserves that.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 11:04:54 AM »
I played CoD1 MP for about 2 years straight - I can attest to it's greatness. The SP is excellent as well, but don't pass up the MP.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »
I do...

I said "a whole lot". Most people I know bought this for the multi-player
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #28 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 06:29:10 AM »
I finished up the campaign last night.  I can say with certainty it's one of my definite top 3 for the year.  Loved every minute of the campaign.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 07:15:58 AM »
Loved every minute of the campaign.

All five of them.

... sorry, couldn't resist.  Trolling on my way now...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 02:38:59 PM »
All five of them.

... sorry, couldn't resist.  Trolling on my way now...
Zinger! Nice!!

Coolest troll EVER!!!

Anyways, I wonder if CoD4 has an expansion, if the SP campaign will be PORTAL's Length. :-X

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #31 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 02:46:17 PM »
Zinger! Nice!!

Coolest troll EVER!!!

..........what is this? The third grade?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #32 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
You guys are lame.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 04:39:23 PM »
You guys are lame.

Oh, c'mon -- I knew I was lame like 27 years ago. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 05:40:19 PM »
I finished up the campaign last night.  I can say with certainty it's one of my definite top 3 for the year.  Loved every minute of the campaign.

Was  it actually all that short?  I ask because I've only seen the one review saying it's short, but another that said it's about the same length as all the other CoD games.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #35 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 10:27:03 PM »
I'd say I've played over 1/2 of it now and man this is mad cool! On the first USMC mission I had a ZOMG gaming moment, this isn't a spoiler, but a guy with an RPG was just feet away from and fired it striaght over my shoulder! I couldn't believe how cool and freaky that was!

(click to show/hide)

The visuals and audio are outstanding by the way.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #36 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 10:50:09 PM »
I was getting an error saying I was out of hard drive space, even though I have like 30 GB free.  I had to run it in administrator mode.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #38 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 11:01:23 PM »
I found the version on STEAM for $20!

I am not going to be playing much of multi though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 11:18:23 PM »
I need someone to verify the SP length before I buy this.  And $20 on steam?  Seriously?  Maybe I'll do it that way if they fix the issue.