Author Topic: Riddick: Dark Assault - Update: It now is on Steam (Reply 41)  (Read 7629 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Riddick: Dark Assault - Update: It now is on Steam (Reply 41)
« on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 03:50:25 PM »
Look here for a video and interview on this -- Riddick: Dark Assault on Athena.

Here's what's up w/ this, according to the video.

--They ported all the Butcher Bay content over on a Revamped Graphical Engine, all for these Next-Gen Systems.
--They added 40% more NEW SP content, for this version of the game.
--They are trying to approval from their publisher to put back in some content cut from the original Butcher Bay game that was cut, as well.
--There will probably will be a Multiplayer component.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 02:08:58 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Assault On Athena
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 08:09:48 PM »
Well, that blows.  I mean, the game was completely awesome, but why aren't they making a fucking sequel?  I don't need extra content for the original game on a system I don't plan on owning, especially when I own the game twice over on 2 other systems I *do* own.  That's... crap.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 08:15:37 PM »
Que, it'll be on 360...so now you can have it on 3 systems! Wait...thats bad.

On one hand its cool and all since the game was surprisingly cool. On the other hand...yeah, make a sequel or something new instead.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »
Oh, didn't watch the video.  Just assumed PS3 since it said something about that in the blurb and the site was the "Sony Protection Group" or whatever.

And seriously, what the fuck is that crap?  Why don't they just call themselves the Stupid Asshole Fanboy Union or something?  Idiots.  Somebody should firebomb their houses.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
Say there is 40% new content there.
Butcher's around -- what? Maybe 10-13 hours, if that???
So, the new content is around say 4-7 hours???

Yeah, why don't they just make a sequel??!?!?!?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »
Aww man, I would love a Riddick sequel, I loved Butcher Bay. Still the news is cool, I'll be all over it. I wonder why they are changing the name to something that sounds totally different from escape from Butcher Bay.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 10:28:25 PM »
That's what I wonder too.  If the content was really good in theory I might pick it up, just because I couldn't finish it on PC and this will probably also have the commentary mode.  Then again, my new PC might run it... I dunno'.  But with updated graphics, it might make the return trip through the first half more appealing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 01, 2008, 05:51:04 AM »
As y'all might have known, Activision dropped Riddick franchise -- which left the Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena up in the air.
Well, Atari decided to pick it up.

Last time, I reported there might be a MP component in. It now looks like for sure, the MP is definitely going to be in there.

In regards to the SP, it looks like it'll have two pieces: Butcher Bay Remake + New Entire Campaign.
I don't know if the new piece will be 40% of Butcher's size (as originally reported -- where BB was around say 10-12 hours) or if the New SP Campaign maybe possibly even more so in size now. We'll probably know, in due time...

1UP News

Riddick Gets Reprieve as Atari Picks Up Dark Athena
Remake with new campaign and multiplayer finds a home.
By Shawn Sines, 10/31/2008
Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena logo

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena has found salvation in Atari. The future of the game -- based on the Chronicles of Riddick franchise, which was spawned by the movie Pitch Black -- was dubious after it was dropped by Activision along with Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend, and several others.

Since then, Dan Aykroyd has said that Atari has also pick up the much-anticipated Ghostbusters game, although this remains unconfirmed. The even better news about Riddick, though, is that Dark Athena will give players more than just a remake of The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. Bill Kispert, head of interactive for Universal, recently assured Variety that players were in for a new campaign and multiplayer experience. Kispert explains:

"Originally it was just a remake, but we started thinking more and felt that wasn't super compelling.... The new campaign is robust, it's not an extra mission or two. It has a storyline, new characters, new locations, new weapons."

Kispert also hints that the multiplayer mode will be something out of the ordinary. It seems that Dark Athena has just moved from a remake to a game in its own right.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Assault On Athena (BB Remake + New SP Campaign + MP)
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
Awesome, it looks like it's hitting PC as well, which means I can give up trying to get CoR:BB to run.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Assault On Athena (BB Remake + New SP Campaign + MP)
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 23, 2009, 11:42:15 PM »
Heres the intro vid for the Dark Athena campaign. Im pretty excited about it so far, I just really hope the new SP content is at least the same length as the Butch Bay one.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 12:17:40 AM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44651.html
"...which itself is just as big as Butcher Bay was, we've got probably about 11+ hours of single player content"

It does have a multiplayer apparently, Gamespot has impressions on it. It sounds like typical been there done that stuff but in the Riddick universe. Actually, the Gamespot multiplayer impressions compare it's quick twitchiness to Quake and UT. I assumed it would be more slow and strategy based. There's also a mode that puts a team of player controlled soldiers agains a Riddick player who's obviously more aware and stronger than them.

The game takes place immediately after the escape from Butcher Bay when the ship gets captured by some space pirate type ship, then Riddick wakes and frees himself from his cryochamber to explore the ship and start killing people.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 06:17:29 AM »
I'm looking forward to this remake and expansion of The Ridicules of Chronnick! Actually I just wanted to share that lame pun but I am anticipating its release.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »
I'm sorry, but the whole "Underverse" and army of undead was just too much for me and ruined the whole universe.  Pitch Black was decent but The Chronicles of Riddick was godawful.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 12:56:02 PM »
Did you ever play the game, scott?  The movie was an absolute abomination.  I couldn't believe the game turned out better than the movie.  I'd never have even seen the movie if it hadn't been for the game, and what a waste of money.  There were some cool art concepts and stuff like that, but it was utter schlock, and really poorly acted where the bad guys were concerned.

But Butcher Bay was a fantastic game.  Nothing like the movie at all.  The movie kinda' cheapened the universe, which is a shame, but if they just stop making movies and let Starbreeze do more games... I'm all for it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »
...but if they just stop making movies and let Starbreeze do more games... I'm all for it.
What Que said.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
Also since the second game takes place before the second movie, you can just pretend all that dumb shit never happened.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena EU Release Date Confirmed
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »
Courtesy of Gamershell.com

To be released on April 24 in Europe
Atari has announced that The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena, a new game developed by Starbreeze Studios for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, will hit the store shelves across Europe on April 24th, 2009. Previously announced as a remake of The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena now features a brand new full-length campaign, an entirely new chapter in the Riddick saga and, for the first time, online multiplayer modes. The game will be available in North America on April 7th. Demos for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions will be released this March.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
Holy shit, seriously?  Dang, this snuck up on me.  I have to see if my new rig will run the first game properly now, so I can finally beat it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »
I also read that there will be a PC demo as well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »
Idol, no release date planned yet on the PC version, though. :(

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »
I've been waiting for this for a while.  I never was able to get the first one running on my pc.  CPU problems stemming from dual core, gpu problems requiring driver rollbacks, shitty performance and horrible, horrible BSODs made me give up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, April 01, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
7.5    Lasting Appeal
"There's plenty of game here, but not all of it is worth finishing even once."
I don't get how that comment = 7.5 for Lasting Appeal.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, April 01, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
As usual, Hilary Goldstein's slop is completely unworthy of being read.  I should have checked the name of the reviewer before getting halfway through.  I don't know why that fucker still has a job.

That isn't to say I think he's wrong, necessarily.  I'm a Starbreeze fanboy, but there's been a little bit of niggling doubt in the back of my mind simply because of the way the game came into being in this new incarnation (and that there wasn't a big push for "Hey, let's do a sequel!" right off the bat, and they were doing a slightly improved version of Butcher Bay instead, making this the third release).  Still, I'm not going to take Goldstein's word for it.  Probably not G4's, either.

It's interesting to note that both of these reviews complain that the stealth gets dropped toward the end of Dark Athena and the game turns into more of a shooter, which it doesn't excel at.  Condemned 2 suffered from the exact same problem.  I think developers sometimes have a bad habit of trying to up the excitement in the endgame and make things play out too generically instead.  Just because something is faster and has more explosions doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be more exciting.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, April 01, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
Yea, though I remember towards the end of Butcher Bay that the shooting elements became more prominent which I still didn't mind.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 01:40:23 PM »
Warning:
PC versions of Riddick: Dark Assault has THREE Installs for a limit WITHOUT any revokes or de-authorizations allowed.

You may reinstall the game on the same PC as much as you like, AS LONG as you don't change hardware or reinstall an OS.

Change hardware or reinstall an OS, you're basically asking to lose an install.

If you want some installs back for some legit reason -- i.e. you're removing the game from one PC to place it on another -- you'll have to call Atari's hotline.

The Chronicles of Riddick DRM Sparks Outcry
by Chris Faylor Apr 09, 2009 12:22pm CST tags: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, DRM, Controversy

Reports that the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena can only be installed three times have sparked another round of outcry from the extremely vocal PC community, though publisher Atari says these reports aren't entirely accurate.

The PC version of Starbreeze's stealthy first-person shooter does indeed have a three-machine install limit, Atari told Shacknews in a statment, but customers can acquire more activations, assuming "it's a legitimate request," by calling the Atari hotline.

"We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy," explained Atari. "The [initial] activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you don't change any major hardware in your PC or re-install your operating system."

Concerns arose earlier in the month after an Atari Forums post, citing PC Gamer, claimed that the DRM was non-revocable. This led many to believe that a copy of the PC game could only ever be installed three times, with no chance of recovery after that.

In response, Amazon.com was flooded with negative reviews and one-star ratings for the game. One review claimed that "DRM restrictions have left this game unplayable," adding "it isn't even any good." Another was titled "3 Installs: Piracy wins again".

Machine-based activation limits are nothing new in the land of PC DRM. Far Cry 2, Spore, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Crysis Warhead, Dead Space and many other titles have used this particular technique in an attempt to restrict piracy.

Typically, legitimate owners can either revoke past installs or call customer support for assistance if they find themselves hampered by the limit.

An enhanced remake of The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC, Xbox) with an entirely new campaign and the addition of multiplayer, Dark Athena (PC, PS3, X360) launched in North America this week, and arrives in Europe on April 24.

Thanks to everyone that sent this in.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Riddick: Dark Assault - Update: PC version had 3 installs ONLY WITHOUT revokes
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 01:45:29 PM »
That is shocking because you think these people would have learned by now!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Riddick: Dark Assault - Update: PC version had 3 installs ONLY WITHOUT revokes
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »
That is shocking because you think these people would have learned by now!

Didn't ANYONE learn from UbiSoft's and EA's mistakes?
Them two companies sure did learn...the hard way.
Especially EA.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 01:49:57 PM »
I do not condone piracy, however it is the lesser evil here. I'm just saying they shouldn't be shocked if it gets pirated up the wazoo.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
I do not condone piracy, however it is the lesser evil here. I'm just saying they shouldn't be shocked if it gets pirated up the wazoo.

If they are THAT concerned about piracy, release the game on freakin' Steam.

Steam seems to be one of the more reasonable Internet DRM protections than what Internet versions of Securom and Tages can do.

Though, honestly -- I'd rather the game have no DRM -- a la PoP 2008 PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »
Patch 1.01 Released.
Fixes a few things.

Patch notes!

Multiplayer - User is unable to join an online session hosted by a patched game or a game with downloaded content and message "Blahblah" is displayed.

Multiplayer - User is unable to join an online session if the port is not forwarded to 30000. This causes the message "session no longer exists" to be displayed.

Assault on Dark Athena - Game crashes on throwing the guards body into the rotating fan.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »
DRM talk.
OK guys, first I want to say thanks for being patient, now to get right to it.

There has been a lot of talk lately about DRM and how it was implemented in Riddick and there is a lot of misinformation being tossed around. I just wanted to get word out to you guys that we are listening to your concerns but I also wanted to let you know a few facts.

As of today only about 10% of all the Riddick PC games sold have been activated more than once.
Yeah, the game just came out and you're already at 10%? That only goes up, dickheads.

One Riddick serial number alone had over 50,000 activation attempts, so people do try and pirate games.
People pirate games, news at 11. So how is that everyones fault? Ban that key and move on.

Only four people have been unable to play on the PC due to DRM. In all cases the parties involved first tried to activate illegal serials. They were banned initially but then were manually unbanned when they purchased legal copies of the game.
Excuse me while I question the validity of this statement. You know it was exactly 4, and that they ALL pirated it first? Sure.

DRM is not designed to keep you from playing the game, nor is it designed to combat any after market sales. After market sales for PC games are nowhere near what they are for console games anyway, aside from ebay, craigslist and yard sales I can’t even really think of anywhere to get used PC games.

I want to make it clear that there are people who are monitoring activations so if and when we get into an issue with people not being able to play that issue will be addressed. Should the case get so severe it effects a large portion of the gamers, more activations will be set in place as needed. Further down the line the DRM will be removed and a new unprotected exe will be released.
I'll believe it when I see it. Bioshock still has its DRM and activations in place ("unlimited" activations are still activations). By the time they think its ok to remove the DRM they are off working on some other project and have no reason to spend time and effort to actually do it.

So to summarize if you buy Riddick legally on the PC we are going to do our best to make sure you can play it for as long as you want.
I hope this helps answer some of your questions / concerns.
Well at least I know I wont be buying this game for a good long while.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 06:32:29 AM »
DRM talk.
 Well at least I know I wont be buying this game for a good long while.
Ditto. I'll probably wait till it hits the bargain bin.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 06:39:04 AM »
I can't really justify the purchase anyway, as I bought the original game twice (I eventually caved and got the PC version when it was a bit cheaper).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »
I hope Atari sticks to their guns and does officially release a Riddick EXE that is unprotected at a later said date.

Ditto. I'll probably wait till it hits the bargain bin.
Same here.

By that time, usually when the game isn't expensive anymore, usually games get their protection removed -- unofficially OR officially.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »
'K, so I guess I missed this originally but I made the mistake of watching the movie after playing DA/BB.  Holy fuck, what the shit?  Seriously?  Necromongers?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
'K, so I guess I missed this originally but I made the mistake of watching the movie after playing DA/BB.  Holy fuck, what the shit?  Seriously?  Necromongers?

Dude, but isn't it badass when Riddick outruns THE FUCKING SUN!?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
Yeah, and "The Underverse".  It was laughably bad.  Amazingly horribly bad.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Dude, but isn't it badass when Riddick outruns THE FUCKING SUN!?

Not going to lie, I skipped that 20 min. of the movie.

Yeah, and "The Underverse".  It was laughably bad.  Amazingly horribly bad.

Seriously, what the fuck?  How could it be so much worse than the game?  It seemed like a cool character and a universe with potential but then it turned out to be nothing at all but horrible fan fiction.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 07:23:12 PM »
Even the much lower budget original - Pitch Black - was worlds better.

I agree about the potential.  Pitch Black was a fun piece of sci-fi.  I didn't get far into the game, but it seemed alright and certainly had a decent story from what I could tell.  Then the second movie came out and... yeah I don't know what happened there.  Not only was the whole concept ridiculously stupid, but it was a mess from simply a movie-making standpoint as well.

I will never understand why Diesel refused to do 2 Fast 2 Furious only to make this piece of shit.