Author Topic: Picked up Condemned  (Read 4043 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Picked up Condemned
« on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
New for only 20$ for the 360, score. After I finish up Ultimate Alliance I'll give this a whirl.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Picked up Condemned
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 02:45:15 PM »
New for only 20$ for the 360, score. After I finish up Ultimate Alliance I'll give this a whirl.

Rumor has it this game will be $10 for the PC at EB, during the upcoming Memorial Day sale.

Offline wizall

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 03:37:59 PM »

You liking Ultimate Alliance?  I've found it a little tedious...even playing coop with a friend, which is unheard of.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »
I played the Condemned demo.  I thought it was too . . . constricting.  I guess that's the idea.  If it has a $20 price tag, it may be worth it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »
You liking Ultimate Alliance?  I've found it a little tedious...even playing coop with a friend, which is unheard of.

Yea it is a little on the tedious side, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. There's just so much Marvel lore it really sparks my interest in the universe again. The story is kinda cool, aside from some of the cheesy comic book voice acting, and the cinematic cutscenes are completely amazing.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 04:22:29 PM »
Rumor has it this game will be $10 for the PC at EB, during the upcoming Memorial Day sale.

I didn't want the PC version as it didn't run very well on my system.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 07:27:56 PM »
I have the PC version, but I want the 360 version.  Don't ask me why, because I honestly have no idea.  I played and beat it already for PC and loved it.  Can't wait for the sequel.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »
I have the PC version, but I want the 360 version.  Don't ask me why, because I honestly have no idea.
B/c you liked Condemned that much, I guess. ;)

I played and beat it already for PC and loved it.
Is there multiple endings?

Can't wait for the sequel.
Cool.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 01:06:24 AM »
Alright so I'm a little bit into it. The atmosphere and spooky touches are reminiscent of F.E.A.R. so it does a good job of keeping things feeling very tense. In fact I was in this raggedy apartment building and Im in this little lobby area and theres a little look over to the stair below, I look down below and a fucking crackhead pops out scaring the utter fuck out of me.... damn that must have taken 5 years off my life. So yea, it gets an A in creepy dark atmosphere.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
Alright so I'm a little bit into it. The atmosphere and spooky touches are reminiscent of F.E.A.R. so it does a good job of keeping things feeling very tense. In fact I was in this raggedy apartment building and Im in this little lobby area and theres a little look over to the stair below, I look down below and a fucking crackhead pops out scaring the utter fuck out of me.... damn that must have taken 5 years off my life. So yea, it gets an A in creepy dark atmosphere.

Hey, this game was on a modified version of the FEAR Engine, right...?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same engine itself.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 01:12:32 PM »
I picked up this game for the PC.

I began this game -- just got through the first level.

Wow, this game's moody and dark as all hell.

As w/ FEAR, the graphics and production/presentation values are top notch. 'Lith really always has that part down-path, to say the least.

And the melee combat is freakin' brutal -- of course, the melee combat's awesome!!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 09:54:52 PM »
It may well be the same engine, but they look completely different.  The visuals in Condemned are really nothing like those in FEAR.  They use a lot of different effects to achieve different looks than FEAR.

But yes, best melee combat ever.  Some people complained, some people got bored... but I just can't get tired of beating the shit out of people with pipes, planks, and subway signs.  I'm sorry, that never gets old.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 11:35:21 AM »
It may well be the same engine, but they look completely different.  The visuals in Condemned are really nothing like those in FEAR.  They use a lot of different effects to achieve different looks than FEAR.
Maybe it feels like FEAR for me, in a sense, b/c there are lots of hallways and dilapidated warehouse-like looking areas.

But yes, best melee combat ever.  Some people complained, some people got bored... but I just can't get tired of beating the shit out of people with pipes, planks, and subway signs.  I'm sorry, that never gets old.
Can't forget shovels, either. ;)

I really like how the game has the "investigative" parts of the game. The game really makes you feel like you're a detective. Also, it's done in a different, yet pretty good way, for pushing the plot and storyline ahead in the game.

It's cool how to get through certain areas -- like certain doors, you need an axe equipped to chop the wood door down. Or, you might need a sledgehammer to bust a padlock. Feels like an "Adventure" game element.

I like that even through there's lots of melee, there's a few guns -- pump shotguns, 45 cal, etc etc. Of course, the shooting elements rock, too.

This really feels like a survival horror shooter, since ammo seems scarce. Really helps you not keep w/ the guns often; makes you rely on namely the melee, most of the time.

This game just flat-out rocks.

EDIT:
So, wow....this story is really developing into something interesting....

(click to show/hide)

I just can't seem to put this game down...

I just exited the Department Store....
« Last Edit: Monday, May 28, 2007, 04:24:53 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »
Well, this was a pretty damn good game.
If (and when) they bring the sequel to the PC, you can count me in...

Ending left a little bit to be desired, since it's setting up for the sequel and all..

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 10:38:42 PM »
Damn you already finished it? Im working my way slowly, playing a level here or there. Its really fun, im surprised how well this works, just beating the shit out of guys. But when I think about it, its not that far from a regular shooter like FEAR. I mean instead of just walking down corridors and warehouses shooting guys over and over again, your just using melee objects. The action is just varied enough and entertaining enough with some scripted events and things that it comes off really fun and mostly scary. I like it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 11:29:49 PM »
I think Pyro analyzed it pretty well.  What sets it apart is a pretty unique atmosphere and some of the awesome unique situations like the stuff toward the end (and the end fight) and...

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 01:45:18 PM »
Damn you already finished it?
Yeah, well, it's not a long game. It's around FEAR's length -- almost around 10 hours.

I spent a good portion of Saturday, Sunday and Monday playing the game here and there. I really just couldn't put it down, myself.

I did the same thing w/ FEAR, as well. It's something about The Lith's game....they're addictive....

Im working my way slowly, playing a level here or there. Its really fun, im surprised how well this works, just beating the shit out of guys. But when I think about it, its not that far from a regular shooter like FEAR. I mean instead of just walking down corridors and warehouses shooting guys over and over again, your just using melee objects.
Right.

Though, there are points when you can pick up some shooting weapons -- such as 45 cal, pump shotgun, rifle, etc.

The action is just varied enough and entertaining enough with some scripted events and things that it comes off really fun and mostly scary. I like it.
Yeah, I was never bored w/ this one.

Plus, there's all the Achievements you can get, too -- the PC still has them intact, in fact. It's just, they don't give you points on the PC. I dunno if The Achievements give you this also on the X360, but on the PC, for those Achievements you fulfill, you get extra stuff -- you can look at special footage, out-takes, concept art, and other stuff.

Offline wizall

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 10:32:56 PM »
Just DLed and played through the demo today.  Definitely glad I picked it up.  I really like the atmosphere.  Though I understand your complaint, Cobra, regarding the constraint, I don't think it's too bad.  At least from what I played.  It's definitely satisfying beating the piss out of a maniacal bum.

edit:  The new Pirates game, on the other hand, is a miserable bore.  Pretty, sure, but immediately repetitive.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 11:00:54 PM by wizall »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #19 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 02:56:35 AM »
Well I finally finished it up. I got sidetracked too much by WoW, but I played a lot last night and finished it off tonight. Man what a game, I loved it. I got a little frustrated at the end mainly because of a glitch which prevented me from progressing but I managed to get passed it after a couple more attempts. Its a pretty twisted and fucked up game but it does a good job of being just that. The ending didnt really reveal all that much, well I guess it did some, but it left a lot of stuff open. I mean the last level I just kept thinking over and over again... wtf?... wtf?... wtf?... alright WTF?!? but it was awesome in the wtf way. Now I can't wait for the sequel. Well then again I guess I can, as most of the game stressed me the fuck out.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 06:17:30 AM »
Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  That's pretty much how I felt about it too.  I really loved the last boss fight also, which got me all pumped up for more.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »
Gimmie Condemned 2, Monolith!!!

The original truly showed how good first-person melee combat can actually be done, when put in the right developer's hands.

Not only that, but the story, atmosphere, graphics -- hell, everything about that game was so down to a science.

I even liked the investigative parts of the game -- and how well it was done, to even push the story ahead.

Very good game. It's just hard to hate on Monolith -- just most of what they do, they do damn good. See Tron 2.0, NOLF series, FEAR and Condemned, as my examples.