Author Topic: Sim City 5 Thread -- UPDATE: Maxis is NOT doing Sim City 5, but someone else is.  (Read 2791 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Looks like there will be a Sim City 5.

And GFW will preview it in their mag, next month.

EA resurrects SimCity
Tuesday 5-Jun-2007 11:06 AM
SimCity 5 to be revealed in next official Games for Windows magazine

A new game in the much-loved SimCity PC series is to be revealed in the next official US Games for Windows magazine.

Seeing as the mag's not on the shelves yet, we know pretty much sod all about the new SimCity. But according to a listing on US retailer Gamestop, the fifth instalment is called 'Sim City Societies', which suggests a stronger focus on the people living inside your virtual metropolis.

As for what we'd like to see in SimCity 5, a shift in focus to more European cities would be nice, and if it actually ran on our aging PC rigs that'd be fantastic.

Keep your eyes on the internet, as the first details and media will inevitably leak within the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 07, 2007, 08:41:41 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Sim City 5 Thread
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »
I don't have much interest.  SimCity 4 was like SimCity III except really hard.  I think SimCity 2000 was the best one.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Sim City 5 Thread
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 05:17:10 PM »
I was not impressed with SimCity 4.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Sim City 5 Thread -- UPDATE: Maxis is NOT doing Sim City 5, but someone else is.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 07, 2007, 11:24:52 PM »
WHAT? Thats almost like taking Warcraft away from Blizzard. Even more of a reason anyone should care less.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Sim City 5 Thread -- UPDATE: Maxis is NOT doing Sim City 5, but someone else
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 06:31:19 AM »
Yeah that's really strange.  Though I seem to remember the Nile game getting good reviews, and I haven't been all that fond of Maxis's latest outings, so maybe it isn't so bad.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Sim City 5 Thread -- UPDATE: Maxis is NOT doing Sim City 5, but someone else is.
« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 07:08:13 AM »
Yeah, I felt like Maxis really wasn't making any progress on the series anyway and I especially didn't like SimCity 4.  Plus, performance in the games isn't all that great.  I went back and played SimCity III not that long ago and it still was kind of choppy scrolling around.

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 07:52:14 AM »
a stronger focus on the people living inside your virtual metropolis.

Don't like the sounds of this. I don't want another The Sims. I want a game with zoning, budgeting, transportation, bonds, and power plants. Oh, and arcologies.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »
This is a strange coincidence, but last night when I was hitting the sack I started thinking about the game after the longest time. Anyway I agree with Dr S.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Sim City 5 Thread -- UPDATE: Maxis is NOT doing Sim City 5, but someone else
« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
I guess that's really a sign that games like this are going away... which is somewhat fine, I guess. One thing that's been proven is that increased technology hasn't really imporved these games all that much. SM4 and Civ4 more or less proved that. I'd rather be playing the old "ugly" ones than these when I get the mood. It's still sad to see them go or, hopefully, away for a while.

Of course, the real reality is the Maxis and Wright are probably just busy plugging away at Spore while EA wanted something with name recognigtion that'll pull in a few bucks easily. These other guys probably have a lower price tag and developement cost associated with them, so it's sorta win-win for EA.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 05:45:58 PM »
Actually, Civ4 was universally well-received it seemed like.  I think it was the first "new" one that really started to pull people away from the originals.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 09, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »
I guess that's really a sign that games like this are going away... which is somewhat fine, I guess. One thing that's been proven is that increased technology hasn't really imporved these games all that much. SM4 and Civ4 more or less proved that. I'd rather be playing the old "ugly" ones than these when I get the mood. It's still sad to see them go or, hopefully, away for a while.
Yeah, my favorite Civilization is still the original.  I wonder if it is possible to get it to run under Windows XP.

I might have to check out Civ4 though.  I never did do that.  Civ3 was decent, but the military stuff was just too hard.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 09, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
Yea Civ 4 was hot.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 20, 2007, 12:13:26 AM »
Sim City 5000 is looking pretty good. I have to say I've got little intrerest in the game, but it is looking very pretty.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 20, 2007, 12:47:28 AM »
I saw something in, I think, Windows for Games that made it look more interesting than I originally figured it would be. At a glance it's breaking the mold a lot and, while it makes me think it should just be a new game entirely, it does look like it can stand on it's own for different reasons.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 20, 2007, 01:19:39 AM »
I saw something in, I think, Windows for Games that made it look more interesting than I originally figured it would be. At a glance it's breaking the mold a lot and, while it makes me think it should just be a new game entirely, it does look like it can stand on it's own for different reasons.

Hmmm... I haven't read anything, but if it's anything like the last 2 games (and Sims 2) I'll give it a go for 2 days one weekend before dropping it like a dead body. On the other hand my PC will probably not run this game for more than 3 minutes before melting down so I'm saved!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 20, 2007, 01:29:05 AM »
Yeah I'm a civ fanatic and I'm absolutely in love with Civ IV.  A substantially large expansion hits at the end of the month too, and I think its the largest expansion for a civ ever.  That said I've got a sealed big box copy of the original Civilization.  Apparently its worth money so I'm not opening it.

As far as Sim City is concerned, I think they really hit their stride with 2000.  3000 opened the game up a little, and was fun, but not like 2000 was.  I didn't really bother with 4.  The series as a whole had started to get stagnant, so perhaps another studio might breathe some life back into it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Friday, July 20, 2007, 05:52:21 AM »
I read the same article and it did sound pretty interesting.  I think I'll give it a whirl.