Author Topic: Sony To Copy the Wiimote?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Sony To Copy the Wiimote?
« on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »
Saw this at one of my favorite sites

The lastest issue of EGM is reporting a rumor that Sony has a Wii-mimicking iteration of PS2 in the works for a Christmas release. That may sound bizarre, but EGM doesn’t normally report on unsubstantiated rumors.

Wired’s Chris Kohler has written an insightful opinion piece in response to the rumor, and in it he states a number of reasons why such a move would be nothing but bad for Sony. I’m still rather puzzled by it all myself, and I’ll be quite surprised if this one turns out true.

You can read Chris Kohler's take on it
here

If this is true, I think Sony has hit a new low...how pathetic.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Sony To Copy the Wiimote?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »
That, if true, would probably kill Sony. The Wired guy is right, it would be the equivalent of Sony admitting Nintendo was right. Plus PS2 game dev is winding down, by Christmas who is going to start new PS2 games to take advantage of the "new" tech? And if the tech isn't as good as the Wii? (hey, hows that Sixaxis working out, Sony?)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »
I don't know that it would really affect Sony on the whole business-wise, but I don't think people would take to it.  It would end up being a stupid peripheral that a handful of people buy with only a couple of games that use it, and that would be the end of it.  Public opinion in certain circles might drop, but I sort of doubt it would make any radical difference in the long run.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 07:53:54 PM »
So, when is Microsoft's X360-mote and Vista-mote coming?  :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 07:22:18 AM »
Well, I can't say I'm surprised.  I mean Wii's are impossible to find while it's easy to find a PS3 anywhere.  And pretty much everyone who touches the Wii loves it, it seems.  Plus Sony has quite a history of copying Nintendo.  The Dual Shock comes to mind immediately (both the rumble and the analog sticks).

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
Does anyone else think the Wii craze will just end up being a passing fad? I haven't played mine in over a month, for three reasons: (1) the remote/nunchuk combo isn't really optimal for most games, (2) the graphics are terrible compared to X360/PS3/PC, and (3) there are hardly any good games out right now, though that'll hopefully change in the coming months.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
Well I don't know if the craze will wear off or not, but I think you're under the impression that the Wii is somehow in direct competition to the PS2/3 and Xbox 360.  It's not.  Nintendo's strategy all along was to position it as a 2nd system and to attract people that normally wouldn't fit the "gamer" mold.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
Yeah, I think on that level it's doing everything it intended and will probably continue to for some time.  Do I think motion control is a fad?  No.  I think it sort of is right now, yeah, but that eventually things will start heading more in that direction.  Eventually.  Whether or not that will be soon, however, is a matter for debate.  Personally I think the day that stuff gets universally accepted and developers start using it consistently is still quite a ways off.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »
Hmmmmm.........had they done this about a year ago they probably could have killed the wii.  They can sell PS2 hardware for next to nothing, and most companies have well developed engines and a ton of PS2 expierience under their belt.  It may have worked out really well for them.

Now, it will still be interesting, but probably nowhere near as succesfull as they could have been.