Author Topic: Shuggy - sweet little platformer  (Read 1665 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Shuggy - sweet little platformer
« on: Monday, July 16, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »
Shuggy

The other day I got to thinking, "Where the hell are all the XNA games?" MS released the thing and people were all excited but very little seemed to have come from it. That should change soon since the Dream-Build-Play competition that MS is putting on finishes soon, but still...I wanted something.

I did a bit of searching, found some interesting things. I hate that some of them only have 360 versions to download (can only play them if you have a 360 and are paying the $99/year creators club fee). But enough of that. I found Shuggy.

Shuggy is a 2D platformer of awesomeness. Each level is a single screen, so its a bit of a puzzler. Your goal is to collect all the gems on the screen, but each level has its own twists to take into account. Some levels you can rotate the screen, some have "repeating time" (which is really cool once you figure out how it works), some give you a teleporter to play with, and some you arent in full control of the character...you just time his jumps.

13MB gets you 100 levels of pure platforming awesome. If you have a 360 pad everything just works, but there are keyboard controls as well. Download this or die.

*UPDATE*

Just wanted to remind anyone trying this, there are prerequisites listed on the page that you need to install before playing. The important ones being .NET 2.0 framework and the XNA framework.

But my continued playing unlocked some new level types. There are clones of yourself that you move about to help each other, and sometimes the clones have a different gravity where "down" is a different direction for each of them, and just now I unlocked a level where I have to create poker hands of all things.

I expect this to do well in the Dream Build Play contest.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 16, 2007, 03:40:19 PM by idolminds »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Shuggy - sweet little platformer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 01:18:57 PM »
Hmm, it doesn't work for me, even after downloading and installing the prerequisites. I really wanted to try it, too.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »
Yeah, doesn't work for me either.  It crashes every time I try to start it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
Hmmm, strange. I had no problems.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 06:45:11 PM »
Well, even though no one else seems to be able to get it running, I beat the game. Theres no fanfare or anything, you just have no more levels to unlock, and all the maps are open to play. Quite enjoyable.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:13:53 PM »
I'll try to remember it and come back when I have some time.  Suddenly I'm too busy for games again.  Haven't even gotten to that damned podcast edit session yet...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野