Author Topic: New expansion: Wrath of the Lich King  (Read 16017 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: New expansion: Wrath of the Lich King
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, November 13, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »
Man, that looks awesome. I really want to get my death knight to Northrend soI can get tot he new content. I'm 2/3 of the way through 67, but I think I might wait until 70 to head there, so I don't get owned by hard quests or get behind in levels.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
YOu dont have to worry about getting behind in levels..just do both Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra...they are both WOTLK starting levels so its perfect for a level 68. Quest in one till 70 then hit up the other.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #42 on: Friday, November 14, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
You know how people had the worry of questing in Northrend and losing their set gear to something that made you look like a clown with an assortment of mismatched pieces of armor? Well it looks like its done a much better job at making the new greens and blues look much more uber and cool looking. Heres my warrior in Borean Tundra garb now that Ive done most of the quests.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: Friday, November 14, 2008, 06:39:27 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Friday, November 14, 2008, 07:50:17 AM »
I don't think I'd want to be a "famous" WoW player.  That's like being famous for having a growth on your neck or something.  I mean, you know?  I'm not saying people who play the game are dumb, but... what's to be famous about?  It seems like the attached stigma would make it pretty not worth it.  I can't imagine getting a lot of respect from anyone that wasn't an idiot.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: Friday, November 14, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
You know how people had the worry of questing in Northrend and losing their set gear to something that made you look like a clown with an assortment of mismatched pieces of armor? Well it looks like its done a much better job at making the new greens and blues look much more uber and cool looking. Heres my warrior in Borean Tundra garb now that Ive done most of the quests.

yea but the result is that all the armor looks the same. :p While looking through all sorts of plate from 5 mans and such, I noticed that it all pretty much looks the same. I guess it's better than looking like a clown, like my DK does at the moment. He's 68 though, so I can start replacing it all now.

EDIT: the clown look:

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #46 on: Friday, November 14, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »
That athene person is a totally tool.  I've watched some of his youtube video's and can't help but shake my head in shame.  I just can't see what is in WotLK that can pull me back in.  You're just going to be doing the same thing that you were doing before.  Grinding for faction, running the same instance every week and having some noob win some loot that you deserved more.  But that's my opinion, and sadly theres not another MMO out there that can do it as well as WoW can.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Friday, November 14, 2008, 06:59:23 PM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #48 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »
I've put some time into this now and it is fantastic, when you can actually play.  I've just hit 72 and finished up the first zone available, Borean Tundra and it was a really great place to level.  Lots of different scenes and landscapes.  I'm quite excited to head to the next area already.

While I do like the fact that Blizz introduced two starting zones, the Borean Tundra and the Howling Fjord, it kind of sucks that the two are completely disconnected.  As a result, I quested completely in Borean Tundra and had no need to go to Howling Fjord.  While I probably will go there for the rep and the instance, it would have been better implemented if the two zones were connected or had quests that asked you to go to the other zone as well.

Problem with the game right now is the queue.  Absolutely ridiculous, at 1200-1700 person queues on the server I play on.  That's a 1.5 to 2 hour queue.  I basically have to log in 2 hours before I know when I can play in order to make sure that when I can play, I won't have to sit in the queue.  This doesn't work when I come home from work though.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #49 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
Yea, the queue thing sucks, Ive only had to deal with it that one time though, but I also get off work at 2:30 in the morning.

But I completely agree with you about questing in Northrend. Its just been totally amazing. It feels the quests and backstory to everything are much more clear and just all around well done. In some ways in sorta reminds me of Guild Wars. Theres a cool quest near the end of the zone, it kinda leads you up to where it works out its one of the last quests you do in the zone and theres a nice scene where its fully dialogued with speech and the Lich King plays an appearance, totally awesome.

Wait till you start opening up Dragonblight iPPi, theres a daily there thats just fucking amazing. Really easy and really damn fun. I was going to post some screenshots but I dont want to spoil it for you.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »
Yea I just headed out to Dragonblight tonight, though I didn't have time to do much.  All I ended up doing was finish the quest to learn how to teleport to Dalaran.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 12:45:43 AM »
I have barely gotten any time to play, sadly.  My paladin is 71 and my mage is still 70, along with the druid.  I'm gonna push to get the mage and the paladin up to 80 first.

The quests are similar, but slightly more engaging than before.  The eagle one in Howling Fjord was interesting at least.  I've run Utgarde Keep a few times.. and it's really, really easy.  But it is a quick and fun instance.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 03:06:48 AM »
We had 3+ hour server queues over on Blackrock. So we all eventually got tired of it and took the free transfer to Chromaggus. It was an easy descision since we all just rerolled/transferred to Blackrock about a month ago. No we have zero queues, and it's also a lot easier to level without all the overcrowding.

What I did for questing was hit up both starting zones. I did Borean Tundra enough that I got the 130 quest achievement from there, then did the same thing in Howling Fjord. Now I'm a little ways into Dragonblight and I'm 2/3 of the way through level 75. Plently of instance runs helps too though. At this rate I'll still have half of Northrend left once I hit 80, so I can go do all those for money.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 03:53:46 AM »
I just hit 74 and Im checking out Dalaran for the first time... holy hell this place is gorgeous. A huge step up from Shat. Not that Shat was terrible, it just got old quickly. This place is just a beautiful site to behold.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 04:27:21 AM »
Holy crap! They made professions kick so much ass now. As a jewelcrafter I can now cut BOP gems that have better stats than any of the BOE gems I can cut. Even cooking is soo much better now. In the Burning Crusade cooking sucked there really wasnt that many recipes to get. Here its ridiculous! Theres a recipe to cook foods that give you any stat bonus you want, theres even ones that let you track humans or beasts!

Ee gads, Im so fucked, my life is over.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 07:46:29 PM »
So I hit a major plot quest last night and discovered there are cutscenes, then shortly after I got to see how the new phasing stuff works in the world. Its pretty awesome.

The new quests and the way the story comes about from time to time is something never been done like this before in an MMO and raises the bar even more that it ever had. There are some points where I dont even feel like Im playing an MMO, its weird and pleasant at the same time the way the world will coalesce from something that a single player experience will give you then back again to where you remember this is a place where thousands of other players are in there with you.

I honestly cant wait till more of you check this out. Don't worry about end game content stuff like raiding and grinding, but just leveling your character in Northrend to 80 is where all the good stuff is.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
DING 80!!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tichondrius&n=Sequoia

Naxx tonight.. i've replaced a ton of my BT/Sunwell gear already.. i am half in cloth =\

Also, my guild boasts nearly 9 Realm Firsts including Realm First 80, Human, Paladin
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
I just hit 80 on my death knight. Now I need to grind out the 3000 gold that I borrowed to buy my epic flying skill, haha.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »
10 man Naxx cleared!
10 man Sartharion cleared!

Malygos.........not so much. Only had 4 tries on him but he is for a Naxx geared raid so we had a tough time. Should be able to get him next week.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »
They did some seriously cool stuff in this expansion. I just did a quest where I was riding on the back of a dragon with a harpoon and there's other dragon riders around me. I had to throw the harpoon at a dragon to pull myseff off mine and onto it, where I would fight the other rider. I had to do that like 10 times, jumping from dragon to dragon WAAAY high up in the sky.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 04:53:31 AM »
The questing is much more inventive, I agree entirely.

I was shooting a machine gun at a bunch of ghouls while protecting injured soldiers earlier today. 

My toons are only 74,71,70 too.  Haha.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
While I've never played WoW, I really do want to try something which I seem to enjoy doing whenever possible in a game. I want jump off a dragon from a great height, and just have a great fall.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: Monday, November 24, 2008, 07:12:22 PM »
So my guild and I did our first 25 man Naxx last night... we went at it for 4 hours and cleared the Spider wing and plague quarter..we got all the way to Thaddius before we had to call it a night. In our first 4 hours of 25 man raiding in the new x-pac we cleared 9 bosses!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »
Dinged 80 last night. My quest progession was Borean Tundra > Dragonblight > Zul Drak > Stormy Peaks. Zul Drak I think was my least favorite, not to say it was bad, and their were some cool quests, it was more that Troll lore doesnt interest me as much as other parts of the universe, like say the Dwarf lore which is more prevalent in Stormy Peaks which I loved. Cant really say much else other than what I have already gushed about. Now I gotta work on some better gear for heroics if we can manage to do that. Gotta farm for mats for epic rings I can make. First thing I went after was the epic shield that blacksmiths can craft. I managed to save stuff up while I was leveling. Where did you guys go to quest anyhow?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
I too recently hit 80 and have started raiding with my guild in 10 and 25 man content.  I'm a little undergeared compared to the rest of my guildies since they have been raiding for about 2-3 weeks now and the lag is making it difficult to maintain a good rotation, but overall my dps is reasonable.  Once I get a couple more pieces and replace all of my level 70 gear I'll be in much better shape.

I went Borean Tundra > Howling Fjord > Dragonblight > Zul'Drak > Storm Peaks.  I've been meaning to go back and do quests in Grizzly Hills, Sholozar Basin, and Icecrown, but work + raid, and the need to do heroics doesn't give me much time to do so. 

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »
I did Borean Tundra > Howling Fjord > Dragonblight > first part of Grizzly Hills > Icecrown. I need to go back and do the rest for achievements, as well as to grind Oracle/Frenzyheart rep. My small guild has managed to clear naxx like 3 times now. It started off with like 5 friends and we've managed to pick up a few pro people we've met while doing heroics, some of
which ditched their "raiding" guilds to join us on 10 mans.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »
my guild downed 25 man Malygos about 2 weeks ago.. we are now working on Sartharion with his 3 drakes up. It is the hardest fight in WOTLK thus far while everything else has been cake.. Malygos seemed like the only "real" raid content and even he paled in comparison to anything in Sunwell
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
Yea all the content, except for 3 drake Sartharion is pretty much a cakewalk at the moment.  I believe 2 guilds on our server have the Twilight Vanquisher achievement -- we're gonna start working on 3 drake Sartharion this week ourselves.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #68 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 02:54:49 AM »
Well I think Im gonna take a break from it for a little while. Im the 2nd person in the guild to reach 80 and I think its gonna take a little while for the rest of the guild to catch up so we can start doing those instances. Plus Ive been thinking about getting into a lot of other games lately.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #69 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 03:00:35 AM »
I hit 80 a while ago, but have been bored out of my mind waiting for the arena season to start.  Done many of the heroics, but my gear has improved little if at all since dinging 80.  My time schedule doesn't allow me to do Naxx with my guild either, sadly.  All of this will change in a few weeks, though.

Can't wait for arenas!  I need pvp gear!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 12:36:10 PM »
Ditto.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #71 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
I'm bored with my 80.  There is no incentive to do anything but end game raiding at this point in time.  Heroics are 'meh' -- you get badges but the gear is so easily replaced by gear that drops from 25 mans.  Rep grinding -- you need to do heroics to grind it.  PvP -- non existent at this point in time with no pvp gear; makes BGs and arenas pointless at least until season 5.  Raiding -- seems boring since the content is so easy.

While I had a blast leveling from 70-80, I'm finding the end game very lacking at this point in time.  The DK is a lot of fun though, I think I'm gonna get him to 80 next.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #72 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 11:51:11 AM »
Though the more I "think" about it, the more I wonder whether or not Hellgate: London might surpass WoW for me...

This post seems so funny -- in a sad way -- over a year later.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #73 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »
Wow.  That's really depressing, isn't it?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 11:27:30 AM »
3 drake Sartharian is annoying.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »
3 drake Sartharian is annoying.

We finally got it on Heroic

After 54 tries

-_-
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #76 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
Quote from: Que
Though the more I "think" about it, the more I wonder whether or not Hellgate: London might surpass WoW for me...
This post seems so funny -- in a sad way -- over a year later.
Quote from: Que
Wow.  That's really depressing, isn't it?

Flagship would've been still here, if...
..they didn't release the game too early; had enough of a team to patch up the SP and MP equally; didn't come up with stupid DLC schemes (a pay-monthly-subscription fee to keep all new DLC; DLC wouldn't be in the SP side); and probably some other "etc, etc" I just can't think of.

Matter of fact, Flagship should've just made the game either SP only or MP only. There's no way they -- or any company, for that matter -- could handle that kind of insane load of stuff they had to do and wanted to do. I don't even think BethSoft could've pulled off what Flagship tried to do, as great as BethSoft is. Hench why BethSoft usually makes only SP games.

I think the only game with any chance of trying to take a stake at WoW's dominance on the MMO market might be SWTOR MMO.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »
The Blizzard name carries so much weight and people are loyal to it. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing surpasses WoW until Blizzard's next MMO (which we know nothing about so far, except that it's a new IP).

I'm bored to tears of WoW again. I quit my old guild and sold off my rogue because I was sick and tired of the raiding game at 70. Then some efriends got me to reroll alliance and start a small friends only guild with the intention of PvPing and maybe doing 10 mans. Next thing I know we're doing joint 25 man runs with another guild and that old feeling of "fuck, these people are all retarded, why do I ever come to raids?" came back. Of course without raiding there isn't really anything to do anyway. I hate arena, BGs are boring after 3 matches of the same old maps (except the new shitty one, strand of the Ancients). I'd like to level my rogue alt and go two shot people while they try to quest, but every time I get on him someone wants me to get on my DK for something.

Oh, and I swear to god I'm never rolling another class with the capacity to tank or heal again. I started out as a DPS death knight, now everywhere I go I'm asked to tank, even by my guild who knows I'm better geared for dps. Of course, I think the whole tank/healer/dps setup is retarded anyway. Very few people actually enjoy tanking or healing, so why build an entire game around that type of gameplay? It ruins the fun for some people, and it's completely retarded when you think about it. Oh, so this Illidan guy has been dominating shit for like 1000 years or something, and leads legions of troops and plans on total annihilation.... but he's too stupid to stop attacking the guy with the shield and heavy armor, when he could be killing the guy in the dress. There has to be another way.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 03:19:07 PM »
Play more Left 4 Dead.  It has zombies and won't make you feel like a pussy.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 06:03:44 PM »
Play more Left 4 Dead.  It has zombies and won't make you feel like a pussy.

I dunno..i kinda feel like one when a tank RAPES MY FACE OFF
Suck it, Pugnate.