Author Topic: Life of Pi  (Read 1969 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Life of Pi
« on: Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
Anyone read this book? Megan picked it up a couple weeks ago, and she loved it, so I've been reading it. I don't read books all that much. Maybe 1 or 2 a year at the most. I'm digging this one. It's great.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Life of Pi
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
Not to infringe upon your thread, but I've been reading "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman. It is most excellent. As the title suggests, it is about the world without us- what will happen, what has happened, etc. Loaded with history, tons of great facts, etc. I highly recommend you read it after "Life of Pi."

Sorry for the thread jack. Meanwhile, I will definitely pick up Pi after this book. I'm on a book kick right now.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 07:54:30 PM »
thanks.. i've been looking for books to read but each time i go to the bookstore i just feel like "blech, aren't there any good / interesting looking books out there?"
Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 09:57:48 PM »
Haven't read it, though I always wanted to.  Been reading Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead by Rand due to the whole BioShock thing.  Funs.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:52:51 PM »
You jerks, you're just trying to make fun of me for being illiterate.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »
I'm getting close to the end at this point. Read it for 2 straight hours tonight. Loving it. Gonna check out "The World Without Us" after I get this read.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »
Ah, I've been slacking on my book. I have a good day or so left on it, which I plan to get done tomorrow. One of the great facts so far is the sheer number of animals that we (humans) slaughtered to extinction after we arrived to what is now America. Our diversity in terms of wildlife was greater than Africa. It's interesting to think that, while many think that we are only now disrupting biology on the planet, it has been happening for thousands of years.

Anyways, I'll start "Life of Pi" in the next few days and post impressions after.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:35:33 PM »
I started reading this book when I visited my parents.  I wasn't able to bring it with me so I couldn't finish it:

http://www.naturemoms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/lastchildpbcover-thumb.jpg

The more I read it, the more I agreed with the author that kids need to get out and learn the lessons one can learn in nature.  I appreciate the three years I was given before I was sent back to school.  The first time I went to school, I quit after three days.  After three years, my parents sent me back.  So those three years before I went back to school, I played ALOT.  Mainly outdoors, we had a big backyard with terraces and a garden surrounding the house and that's where I spent a lot of my time. 

A lot of kids are so dysfunctional and impractical nowadays.  there are some kids i know that will freak if we tell them we're going to spend a day at a farm or in a forest far away from the TV and computers and all that.  Many prefer malls rather than the outdoors.

Ghandi, there was this article someone told me about how the areas in chernobyl and the area between north and south korea are so much more beautiful and alive now that people don't really go there.  What you said reminded me of that conversation.  I think the world would be a better place if people left.
Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:49:43 PM »
It wouldn't be the world if people left.

The point that I have taken from the book, at least prior to finishing it, is that this is a glimpse of what the world would be if we weren't such a destructive species. It's unfortunate that we all take things for granted.