Author Topic: Command & Conquer: GOLD released for FREE DOWNLOAD by EA  (Read 2560 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Command & Conquer: GOLD released for FREE DOWNLOAD by EA
« on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 03:20:45 PM »
Command & Conquer has hit its 12th anniversary today, so EA released the C&C: Gold Edition of the game for FREE for you to download, if you'd like!

Thanks largely to the efforts of our loyal fans whom continue to sustain and grow the Command & Conquer community, Command & Conquer has become a legendary franchise and it’s time to celebrate its birth once again.

In order to give back to the fans for over 12 years of devotion we are putting together a 12th Anniversary celebration during the month of September. However, as any Command & Conquer fan knows, the true party starts today, August 31st, which marks 12 years since Command & Conquer Gold launched way back in 1995.

To kick the celebration off, today we have a special surprise which we are certain new and old Command & Conquer fans will enjoy. We are providing the original Command & Conquer Gold as a free download, compatible for Windows XP! This is the same version included with the collectors pack Command & Conquer: The First Decade, and is now available for you to download for free!

PLEASE NOTE BEFORE DOWNLOAD:

We are providing the ISO image of C&C GOLD for both the GDI and Nod discs. In order for C&C GOLD to run on Windows XP, you will need to burn the ISO image onto a CD with a CD Burner and any "CD Burning Software" such as Nero, Alcohol, etc. There are also a few extra steps in order to make C&C GOLD run on Windows XP after you burn it to CD.

Continuing on in the month of September, be sure to keep your eyes right here on our official site at www.commandandconquer.com each week as we plan to celebrate and remember 12 years of Command & Conquer in a number of different ways.

Okay, so guys -- I got a question.

What's a GDI Disc and what's a NOD Disc???

And which version should I download???

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
Re: Command & Conquer: GOLD released for FREE DOWNLOAD by EA
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 03:43:45 PM »
So you know nothing about this game then huh  :P
To play the Nod SP you needed the Nod disc, or to play the GDI SP you needed the GDI disc in the CD drive. From memory you could play MP and install the game with either.

I remember I never finished the GDI game... oh well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 03:45:17 PM »
Right.  You can play against another person through a LAN right out of the box, each of you getting one of the factions.

Edit:  I have this game, the full and legal thing, from way back then.  I wonder if I can follow their "extra steps", whatever they may be, to make it work well with XP.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 03:48:38 PM »
So you know nothing about this game then huh  :P
Nope.

To play the Nod SP you needed the Nod disc, or to play the GDI SP you needed the GDI disc in the CD drive. From memory you could play MP and install the game with either.

I remember I never finished the GDI game... oh well.
Hmmm....
...Are these like two different campaigns or something???

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 06:02:12 PM »
essentially, yes.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »
Man, D, stay behind and write "I must play awesome old games" 100 times.

GDI = "Allies"
Nod = "Baddies"

The Brotherhood Of Nod, specifically. Extremist lunatics who want to take over the world. GDI was Global Defense Initiative, or something similar. The GDI disc had the "good guy" campaign, the Nod disc the "bad guy" campaign. As I recall you need both to install the game.

C&C Gold wasn't as good as Red Alert, but damn if they didn't make it sweet anyway.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 10:05:42 AM »
Is "gold" just a rerelease of the original?  The original had some awesome fucking music, as I recall.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »
Is "gold" just a rerelease of the original?  The original had some awesome fucking music, as I recall.

According to part of the C&C info from Wiki....

"Gold" was the edition just re-released for Win 95, it looks like...

And it looks like Gold lacks some of the soundtrack the DOS Version had, as well...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 10:46:26 AM »
Well that sucks.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 06:08:21 PM »
According to part of the C&C info from Wiki....

"Gold" was the edition just re-released for Win 95, it looks like...

And it looks like Gold lacks some of the soundtrack the DOS Version had, as well...

Oh well it is free though... But you don't play these games anyway D, like Q said in the AoM thread just play the 10000 games you've bought and never installed.

Oh and I agree Red Alert was a better game, personally Red Alert 2 was the best though the recent C&C 3 was pretty well done too.