Author Topic: MyD Buys X-Box 360 for Windows Controller; wonders why he didnt buy it sooner!  (Read 2379 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
MyD Buys X-Box 360 for Windows Controller; wonders why he didnt buy it sooner!
« on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »
So, I bought for my PC -- the X360 for Windows Controller (USB); had a $10 coupon for CC, got $10 off, so decided to use it. ($30, after coupon). I was already buying AoM Package and Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black" CD (which were on sale), so I figured I might as well use my $10 off of a purchase of $50+ coupon.

Easiest and quickest install ever. Put software disc in (for X360 Controller for Windows driver), put controller in -- all done.

My God -- why didn't I buy this controller sooner???

Damned if I know.....

Anyways, this controller is way more comfortable in my hand and way more responsive than my Logitech RumblePad PC ever dared -- as much as liked I RumblePad and all, this controller trumps it. So, I tried the X360 for Windows Controller on Scarface PC -- the keyboard setup, which is pretty much unconfigurable, ruins that option for me for when on-foot. And I wasn't really feeling it on my Wingman Pad for driving, too much; it was okay, but the analogs on that controller are kinda flimsy. So, I put Scarface PC aside. So, I tried it on the new X360 PC Controller -- well, hot damn; this is the way to play this game.

I tried a few other games, namely games w/ driving aspects on them -- Godfather PC and GTA: SA, another game to try a controller on, for driving sequences. Godfather PC doesn't support the Wingman RumblePad USB (though, you can edit the INI and get it going, if you know what cha doing...), but the X360 PC Controller is supported officially.

I really should try some other PC games that I used my Wingman for, like say Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, PoP: Warrior Within, and Psychonauts w/ this controller -- all of which are games which I do need to finish, this century.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: MyD Buys X-Box 360 for Windows Controller; wonders why he didnt buy it sooner!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:22:09 PM »
You'll need to be aware that the 360 controller makes use of XInput, which is new and older games won't see it as a gamepad. For those games, you use XBCD. I actually have both installed and can switch between them depending on the game (have to change manually, but it works).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: MyD Buys X-Box 360 for Windows Controller; wonders why he didnt buy it soone
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »
MK4 PC
I tried out Mortal Kombat 4 PC, for the hell of it, w/ my new X360 controller.
Well hell, it actually worked! :)

XBCD Question
So, wait -- these XBCD drivers don't overwrite the X360 Microsoft drivers??
Do they act as separate drivers for the same actual device?!?!?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: MyD Buys X-Box 360 for Windows Controller; wonders why he didnt buy it sooner!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 05:45:52 PM »
Yes.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: MyD Buys X-Box 360 for Windows Controller; wonders why he didnt buy it soone
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 05:55:37 PM »
Yes.

Interesting.

So, you said you select manually what games use either the Microsoft X360/PC Controller Drivers or the fan-made XBCD drivers...

Do you have to have some sort of program to run in the background to do this or something???

Or do you have to calibrate this w/in each game's Setup or Options or something???

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
You have to go into the device manager and manually change it. Find the controller under "Human Input Devices", right click, choose "Update driver", go through the steps to manually install and when it asks for a locations you choose "I will find it"...it then shows 2 drivers, one official and one that isnt.

Its a bit of a pain, but if you want to use the controller in old games you need it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »
Don't forget to revisit this thread.  Lots of info ended up there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
You have to go into the device manager and manually change it. Find the controller under "Human Input Devices", right click, choose "Update driver", go through the steps to manually install and when it asks for a locations you choose "I will find it"...it then shows 2 drivers, one official and one that isnt.

Its a bit of a pain, but if you want to use the controller in old games you need it.

Oh, so you have to go through Windows to actually do it....
That sounds like a hassle, but not too damn bad...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 06:44:15 PM »
Thanks for the link, Cobra.
I forgot all about that thread, or I would've posted there.

Can we combine this thread here w/ the thread Cobra suggested for me to look at?

Those two threads are so much on the same subject, they should be merged into one thread, I think...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 06:58:16 PM »
Thanks for the link, Cobra.
I forgot all about that thread, or I would've posted there.

Can we combine this thread here w/ the thread Cobra suggested for me to look at?

Those two threads are so much on the same subject, they should be merged into one thread, I think...

Maybe you just shouldn't post so much.  It's bad for your health....and ours.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 08:19:20 PM »
:(

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
He nags you because he loves you.  :-*

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »
This is substantive, though.

D, between these 2 threads, I think all the relevant info is covered.  While I haven't played PC games at all for months now, I remember the controller working very well.  It's a great choice for games that don't benefit from mouse precision.