Author Topic: classical piano  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
classical piano
« on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 10:44:46 PM »
http://classicalpiano.com

just browsing here...
Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: classical piano
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 10:50:46 PM »
The piano is one of the most beautiful instruments.

When my grandmother was dying at the beginning of the year, my mother was playing the piano a few rooms away, and I was sitting in the room with my grandmother. My mother is a great piano player, and the piece that she was playing was quite sad but very beautiful, and my grandmother commented about how nice it was. She died within a week or so after that, and that was the last thing that I ever heard her say. I still remember the emotion brought about by the piano....very powerful.

Anyways, sorry for the sad story. I always wished that I could play the piano. I know a few pieces but nothing major. Hopefully someone will respond with something more cheerful. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »
I love piano, but I sort of hate it.  I took it for several years, and while my piano teacher told me I was really gifted and was super mad when I quit, I just couldn't deal with how much discipline it required.  You had to play so much and focus so much on technique... it just wasn't *fun*.  I picked up guitar instead and never looked back.  I've written several piano pieces despite this, because I do love the instrument, just not so much the methods required for one to truly become great at it.  It's the same for any instrument, really, but with other instruments you can often get a satisfying sound even at a lesser skill level.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 11:42:12 PM »
Do you remember what piece your mom was playing, Ghandi? Or did she make it up as she was playing?

Que, maybe someday you can share the piano pieces you composed.  I'll try play it.

The piano is called the queen of all instruments, many musicians usually learn their basics on the piano and then move on to other instruments. 

As far as why I stopped playing, that's a story I haven't told just yet.. but i will someday.

There was a kid I knew, he was 2 years old and had down's syndrome - awesome pianist!  Though at first he really scared me because he would come drooling while I was having class and he'd tug at my clothes till we lifted him up to the piano chair.  i don't know if he's still around and healthy.

Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 11:46:12 PM »
No, I was too moved by the moment. It was quite powerful. Her husband of 52 years, my Grandfather, was by her side, and his expression was indescribable. It was a very humbling moment.

Also, down's syndrome children are very misunderstood by the general public. I would very much like to tutor some.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 03:41:29 PM »
I absolutely love the piano, and it's one of my multiple regrets that I never learned to play.  I have nothing but admiration for the gifted musicians who can make a piano come alive.

One of my favorite compositions is Clair de Lune, by Claude Debussy.  I like it best when it's a piano solo.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 05:38:41 PM »
I absolutely love the piano, and it's one of my multiple regrets that I never learned to play.

I'm in this club too, mainly because I've never had the money for a piano.  I've taught myself to play bits and pieces of different compositions, new and old.  I used to know how to play a good chunk of Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy 6 and some Beethoven pieces.  I don't think I could play those bits anymore though because this was when I had regular access to a friend's piano that lived nearby me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 06:34:53 PM »
It's worth noting that many older people feel they can't pick up a new instrument and learn it, while many who make the leap find that they *can*... and enjoy it, too.  I think the myth comes from the fact that most virtuosos begin at childhood in order to become these amazing talents that astonish the world... but how many of us that play instruments dream of being virtuosos?  I just love music.  Sure other people can play better, but it's enough to me to be able to write music that people like.  And hell, for many composition doesn't even enter into the equation, or even playing really difficult pieces... they just want the joy of being able to play some of what they like most.

So never think that you couldn't try it if you wanted to.  It does require a good deal of time and a little bit of money, but still, don't write it off.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 01:07:46 AM »
I'm in this club too, mainly because I've never had the money for a piano.  I've taught myself to play bits and pieces of different compositions, new and old.  I used to know how to play a good chunk of Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy 6 and some Beethoven pieces.  I don't think I could play those bits anymore though because this was when I had regular access to a friend's piano that lived nearby me.

My parents couldn't afford a piano + lessons when I was a kid.  I could always figure out tunes by ear on a keyboard, but that's one-handed, one-note stuff.  I did learn some of Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown song, the full arrangement--until it gets past the ditty and into the real jazz.

Que, you're right.  I have thought about that.  It would take a lot of time, money and effort, and I do wonder if it's worth it at my age.  I do have the interest, nevertheless.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 01:13:09 AM »
Just don't let age enter the equation.  Either it's worth it to you or it isn't, I say.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »
My parents couldn't afford a piano + lessons when I was a kid.  I could always figure out tunes by ear on a keyboard, but that's one-handed, one-note stuff.  I did learn some of Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown song, the full arrangement--until it gets past the ditty and into the real jazz.

Que, you're right.  I have thought about that.  It would take a lot of time, money and effort, and I do wonder if it's worth it at my age.  I do have the interest, nevertheless.

If you have an ear for it, by all means, try it.  If only we lived closer to each other I'd give you lessons for free. 

If you have time to spare for it and it;s something you've wanted to do then why not?  Variety keeps the brain in better shape! 

don't listen to me though, I'm one of those people who forget my body's getting old, so i don't think in terms of "maybe i'm too old for that, or it's not appropriate for my age".  I still go on the swings and monkey bars in parks.. till someone reminds me i'm too "old" for it.  Heck, hide and seek and tag are still fun!
Taken.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 01:05:04 PM »
Haha!  Well, I'm not ready for rocking chairs just yet.  I was swinging in the playground with my little one last year.  It's more like what Que said: to really be good, you need to start out young.  But getting personal enjoyment from it should be enough (also like he said).  It's not like I expect to become a pro.  I have a lot of ducks to line up before this one comes up.

Thanks for the thought, though.  I'd love to learn piano from you.  Seems I have the hands for it too, with better than a 9-inch reach thumb to pinky and to ring finger.  (Middle finger almost there too.)

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Wow.. that's a good reach.  I have small hands so I can't play all the pieces I want to.  I can play a variety and a whole range but some pieces I just never will be able to play well because my hands are small.  It's up to the teacher to choose the most suitable pieces for their students.  I end up with a lot of very technical pieces or pieces with a lot of scales.  My last couple pieces were Liebestraum (original version) and Rustles of Spring.

Que is right that you need to start out young to be really good. it's true that you've lost some years.  But there's still time to be a pro if you want.   Depends on how much you want it!  Some people are naturals and can play anything they hear!  But they're technically weak.

Oh well.. any of your kids play?
Taken.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »
My older daughter does, but she's pretty much abandoned it.  (Grrr!  >:()  She now plays the oboe.  She's in a youth orchestra that sounds good, considering.