Author Topic: I'm saving Deckmatch  (Read 2568 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
I'm saving Deckmatch
« on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »
A long time ago, there was a canadian gaming site called ca-boom. One day they posted the rules for a deathmatch style game played with a standard deck of cards, and they named it Deckmatch. I thought it was really cool, bookmarked it, and then kind of forgot about it.

I remembered it sometime later and thought it would be really cool to make real cards for it. Magic: The Gathering style with icons, a nice image, and the card info all right there. Would certainly make the game easier to play and understand. In fact, I still might do that. But at the time I went in search of the rules and my bookmark was a dead end. The site had gone under. Google searches for "Deckmatch" had a lot of hits, but they were all blogs that simply linked to the original page (that doesn't exist). I believe I was able to scrape up a copy of the rules using the Internet Archive, but that took quite a lot of digging.

I tend to check out BoardGameGeek, a site about board games. They had Deckmatch listed, but no rules. I tried to upload the rules but was rejected because of copyrights. I wasn't the author, and it did make use of id softwares IP. Bummer. I still had it listed as a game I "own", and had several PMs from people asking for the rules...which I uploaded and linked them to. Recently an admin at BGG PM'ed me about the game since they were going to delete it since there was zero info available. I told him pretty much what I told you and linked him to the rules I uploaded once more. Haven't heard back, but the entry on the site remains...so hopefully it doesnt get removed.

Well, I'm going to save those rules, damnit. I made a Google Pages page with all the original rules, check it out here. I posted a link to it in the BGG forum for the game, so hopefully people see it. I would love to get in contact with the authors, maybe edit the rules ro make them slightly more generic so we don't step on ids toes, and then release the rules under a Creative Commons license. My dream would be to create a site where people can download cards with full art like I said before.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: I'm saving Deckmatch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
At first, I thought it said "Deathmatch." :P

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »

...dude

Back on topic..

Sounds like a cool game, I'm always looking for card games that two people can play. There aren't that may good ones. Making your own cards would be very difficult, but you are fairly proficient at that stuff. Post pics if you do make any cards.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 07:00:08 PM »

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but is your head made out of fucking wood or something?

Anyway... this sounds awesome.  Let me know if I can lend a hand in the creation of the cards, or (most especially) if you want to adapt the rules away from "id stuff"... or even try to come up with a several-person version.  I love this kind of stuff.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but is your head made out of fucking wood or something?
Yeah, I think so. :P

And, God -- if that's your "nicest way possible", I'd hate to see your "evilest way possible."  :o

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »
Instead of making another thread in art, I'll just keep it here.

I was working on card art today. While I am inspired by CCGs like Magic the Gathering, I'm not nearly artistic enough to create cards with art like that. Would be a neat project for something like deviantART and have the various artists contribute.

So since I'm not going to be able to draw anything halfway decent, I needed a different plan. So I focused on something more HUD-like. Simple icons that get information across simply and quickly.

And to be a little different, I chose the dimensions of the Moo MiniCards. I got a little sample pack of these and they are pretty cool. $20 (+$5 ship) gets you a box of 100 cards and each can have unique art on it (of course you can have doubles). So if I could figure out two cards to trim from the game you could get two decks of cards for $25.

So, anyway...the really early example cards.

The main icon is easy to tell what card by not only the graphic but the color. Of course the name is there as well. The numbers represent the Damage/Penalty of the weapon. Below that shows whether the weapon can be Linked, and at the bottom is the weapon can be Stacked. As you can see, both can be Linked but the Railgun can't be Stacked.

Not really final designs, obviously...but I kinda like them already. Some tweaking and creating the non-weapon cards and...look out, Deckmatch cards!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 03:17:08 AM »
Fucking awesome!  OWmeet 2008 has an official game.  Well, another official game other than ZOMBIES.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
Fucking awesome!  OWmeet 2008 has an official game.  Well, another official game other than ZOMBIES.

ZOMBIES?!?!?

What is this ZOMBIES game??!?!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 01:12:14 PM »
OOooh, that looks cool!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 07:16:49 PM »
All weapon cards minus the Gauntlet have been made. Gauntlet is going to be tricksy since I have to draw a hand or something. Like the rest I'll base it off the Q3 icon.

I've got a few ideas for the rest of the cards (Grappling hook, backpack, Haste, Health, Armor). Those should go together quickly.

I think after that I might adapt the rules and cards to be a little more generic. I wonder if Moo will print the Q3 inspired cards for me or not. Would be good to have a backup plan. I might also resize them to business card size and get those sheets to print them at home. Laminate and they might work well as playing cards.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 07:48:38 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 08:41:19 PM »
Yeah, I'll look around. I'll also check some of the DIY game making sites, they probably have some good tips.