Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Tennis
« on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »
Anyone here enjoy playing / watching tennis?

I've been watching the US Open on tv, I'm quite a big fan of tennis. It's actually a great time to be a fan of tennis right now -- the amount of talent is enormous. I've watched some awesome games the past few days, and I just got done watching Roger Federer vs. Andy Roddick -- great game.

Anyways, I play a little bit as well. I have great velocity on my first serve -- over 100 mph, which is quite good considering I've never actually played in any league. But I only hit it probably 40% of the time, and I have a horrible second serve. My forehand is quite good as well, but my backhand is also horrible. So my game overall is mediocre, but if I do hit in certain situations I excel.

Anyways, I kind of doubt that there are any fans here -- niche sport, but if so, feel free to post. :)

Offline Schlotzky5

Re: Tennis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:09:45 PM »
I despise tennis. I played it for the first time about 2 months ago. I whacked myself square in the balls with the racquet. I was on the ground for a good five minutes. The courts are right outside of my fraternity house and needless to say, I was the running joke for some time to come.

Squash on the other hand is a sport Ive gotten into quite a bit over the past few years.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »
I laughed at the fact that I called tennis a niche sport in the original post and you went on to talk about squash. WHO PLAYS SQUASH?! Haha....

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »
Pug and I are fans and we do follow the tournaments.

I've been following the US open, I was rooting for Nadal for some weird reason.  Federer is good too but I don't want him to break Sampras' records :p

Tennis' is something that's part of my life I guess.  Long story there and I don't really want to go into the details right now.

but definitely, I do follow it.. for the women's side, I'm rooting for henin now.. I don't really like watching the williams' sisters.
Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:52:43 PM »
I used to play tennis regularly for several years, actually, but I don't really enjoy watching it so much.  And I found out that after years of not playing, I can't even pick up a racket now.  Pretty weird.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 10:55:32 PM »
I'm a Nadal fan as well, although at heart I root for Roddick and Blake, just because of home country. But Nadal is such an amazing athlete. He may not have quite the serve that Roddick has (who does?) but his court coverage is incredible. Plus he is one of the stronger, more athletic people in professional sports period. Many people do no realize this.

As for Federer, I admire how great he is, but never root for him. He seems cocky to me. Which, coincidentally, reminds me too much of how I used to be. But he is a great talent, probably the best ever in tennis.

edit: Que, get back into it! It's great exercise and mentally stimulating. Good all around.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »
I love watching Tennis, but I am a terrible tennis player because I play squash.  It's a shame that the racket sports are so radically different that it is difficult to adapt to one another.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 04:25:26 AM »
I've always wanted to play squash, looks really fun.. I've played pingpong, badminton and tennis..

who do you guys think will win the US Open?
Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 08:38:18 AM »
I think that Djokovic will win. He's been playing great tennis. Federer looks good, of course, but he looked vulnerable during his match with Roddick.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »
whee... henin won..

both williams sisters are sore losers.
Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 09:38:11 PM »
game set match = tennis

set match run = arson

I did not come up with that, I just thought that it was hilarious.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 10:00:37 PM »
 ;D

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野