Author Topic: Streaming movies...dead?  (Read 2275 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Streaming movies...dead?
« on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »
About a year or so ago we saw a massive boom in streaming video sites.  The best part of this was that you could pretty much find any movie and watch it.  With the creation of streaming divx, this got even cooler, but now it seems almost dead.  The best sites like peekvid.com and tv-links.co.uk are basically a collection of shitty qualitiy videos and dead links.  Is this whole thing dead?  Because I really want to watch something.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Streaming movies...dead?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »
All those sites remembered "Holy shit, bandwidth isn't free and streaming video uses a fuckload of it."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 11:53:11 PM »
And streaming video is pointless when you have decent torrents up for everything under the sun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 11:57:40 PM »
generally I'd agree, but when you want to watch something on the spur of the moment, straming divx is pretty much the best option.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 08:00:36 PM »
And streaming video is pointless when you have decent torrents up for everything under the sun.

Except that now it's "holy shit!  They're using a fuckload of bandwidth for uploading on torrents.  We said we'd give them that in our ads, but we didn't mean for them to really use it!"

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 02:55:40 PM »
That's not new. The BitTorrent protocol has been the single largest consumer of bandwidth on the Internet for a few years now. (That means it uses more bandwidth than the entire WWW.)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 03:11:44 PM »
Well, Comcast blocking the protocol is something new.  So is Torrentspy blocking all USA addresses.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »
I thought Comcast wasn't blocking the protocol - they were just forging RST flags on BitTorrent traffic.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
Son of a bitch . . .  Why am I not surprised?  Welcome to America, the next totalitarian state.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 04:35:04 PM »
Come to think of it, I recall it was Comcast that initially tried blocking BitTorrent. Within about 48 hours, every major BitTorrent client had protocol encryption, with the result that there was no result.
Son of a bitch . . .  Why am I not surprised?  Welcome to America, the next totalitarian state.
You say aren't, but you sound surprised...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 05:07:01 PM »
*Sigh*  No, it's not surprise.  It's more like I try to make myself believe that I'm being too cynical, and then reality smacks me straight again.  What do you call that, insanity (as in doing the same things repeatedly, expecting different results)?