Author Topic: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions  (Read 1885 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
« on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 08:44:45 PM »
I'm seriously debating on buying a PSP again. I had one earlier this year, but ended up taking it back. Just got bored of it, and decided it was too much money. But I can get a new PSP Slim bundle with Dacter, 1gb mem stick, and a movie and such for $160. So I'm seriously thinking about getting it.

Mostly for FFT:TWOTL. I've said it before turn based, tactical RPG's are so few and far between. And FFT is probably one of my favorite games ever. So yeah, I'm thinking about it. Isn't there some new software out that can run homebrew and everything no matter what the firmware is?
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 01:24:56 PM by ScaryTooth »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War With Lions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 01:34:39 AM »
Apparently they've cracked the Slim PSP's firmware, but I don't know details since I don't own one or care to.  I think I really don't like the things.  They just feel cheap compared to the older model, IMO, though they're a bit lighter and hence some find them easier to hold.

Anyway, there are a looot of complaints from hardcore fans of FFT about the updated version.  Apparently there's a lot of slowdown when you use big special attacks and stuff, which is stupid because there's really no technical reason for it other than poor programming.  Also, it appears people are really unhappy about the way the sound was handled.  On the plus side, of course, you've got the pretty new cutscenes, the extra events, and the revamped translation (which apparently is on par with FFXII and Vagrant Story, which are in my opinion two of the best localizations in the history of video games, if not *the* best).  That's pretty compelling stuff.  I don't know how to feel about it, but given my love of Ivalice, I feel like I really need to (I never finished FFT before because I wasn't all that into SRPGs when I purchased it originally).

Still, I'd question whether or not it's worth it just for FFT.  However, you've also got the updated version of Disgaea coming to it, and I can attest to the brilliance of Level 5's Jeanne d'Arc, which is superb.  So yeah, that's countless hours of SRPG fun right there alone.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »
I'm also looking at some other stuff. The new Warhammer game coming out. God of War. And I miss Lumines, heh. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. Still thinking about it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »
There are tons of good games on the PSP, man.  I've got 22 boxes sitting on my shelf right now.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
This reminds me -- I acquired the original FFT recently and I need to try it out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »
Also, as a sidenote, it's actually Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 13, 2007, 03:50:17 AM »
So I've been playing this a little, and I have to say, it's pretty great.  The slowdown some have talked about doesn't seem too jarring to me, and I almost wonder if it was intentional.  I mean, it happens even when you do certain actions that have no real effect attached to them whatsoever.  I can't be sure of that, but I can't come up with any other reasonable explanation.

Anyway, the new cutscenes are fucking gorgeous.  Amazing even.  I love them.  The rest of the graphics don't hold up so well when you compare them to more modern stuff (the sprites are still pretty great, but the landscapes are beginning to really look drab), but everything looks nice on the PSP screen.  Sound is fine, except for the parts that... well, aren't.  I've never heard a worse imitation of wind in my entire life.  Was it like that on PSx as well?  I can't remember.  But holy crap it's bad, heh.

That said, the new translation is indeed beautiful.  I did count one error where somebody said "don't assume to tell me" and they meant "don't presume to tell me", but I'm hoping that was just a fluke.  Thus far, it appears to emulate the tones of Final Fantasy XII and Vagrant Story very well.  Voice acting in the new scenes seems pretty darn good, too.

All in all, I'd say this one is a winner.  The press seems to agree.  Gamespy has a nice review.

What's funny, though, is that for all this... I still much prefer Jeanne d'Arc.  Having been at that one for so long, the switch is kind of jarring.  Jeanne is just a much better game in a lot of ways, suffering far less from the kinds of limitations that FFT does.  And it doesn't hurt that it looks about a thousand times better (the muted tones of FFT are nowhere to be found in Jeanne's vibrant palette).

But yeah, it seems like it's well worth picking up for anyone interested.  I really don't have any complaints other than the camera, which sucks as much now as it ever did.  Wish they'd freed that up a little more.  But yeah, it seems like all the new stuff is pretty top notch, so give it a try if you can.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 17, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »
Hooray for really old threads.

So it's funny, the reason I'm playing this now is because Jeanne d'Arc pissed me off really bad the other day.  It's got these turn limits where a battle can only go so many turns or you lose, and I've found that I hit it often enough that it pisses me off.  I'm never losing, and am always within a couple turns of victory... then wham, I lose.  I fucking hate it.  I should be paying more attention and I guess playing just a bit more aggressively, but during this (admittedly really awesome) boss fight I lost because of it and just got really annoyed.  So I quit it again after putting another 10 hours or so into it (I'm sure I'll go back again), and decided to hit up FFT on PSP for real this time.

It's pretty amazing.  A lot of what I said before holds true, though I'm struck even more by the goodness of the translation now, and I'm actually less critical of the graphical presentation.  It's definitely drab compared to Jeanne, but the sprite work is actually quite tremendous.  They look really good and have so much personality.  The music is phenomenal too, which I'm not sure I mentioned last time... it's another soundtrack from Hitoshi Sakimoto who has become one of my favorite composers since FFXII (he also did Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Vagrant Story, and Odin Sphere).  Awesome stuff.

Sy was telling me he played through this as well and finished it not too long ago.  He seemed to think pretty highly of it too.  Did anybody else ever pick it up?  I'm just curious how well it's done and whether or not people who played the PSx version sprang for the new one.