Author Topic: Networking problem  (Read 2429 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
Networking problem
« on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 03:11:45 AM »
ok, got two laptops, both the same model, both fresh installs of WinXP SP2. both laptops belong to the same workgroup and can see each other on this workgroup, but only one of them can actually connect to the other one. so yeah, the connection works fine one way, but not the other. i am a little bit vexed and any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Re: Networking problem
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 03:40:50 AM »
Firewall?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 03:46:34 AM »
nope. firewalls have been disabled.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 04:35:40 AM »
I hate it when that shit happens without explanation.

You mean one laptop can see the other laptop on the shared connection, but he other can't? My sister's comp and mine are both on the same network, and this happens randomly. Normally restarting the host computer solves the problem, but sometimes I have to recreate the network. Make sure permissions are OK as well.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 05:53:29 AM »
no pug, they can both see each other within the workgroup, but when i try to actually connect to the target system, it gives me permissions errors. I've set up a share which anyone on the network should have full permisions for. grrah! i forgot how much of a bitch windows networking can be.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 06:18:15 AM »
well some google searching and registry edits fixed it. this is the kind of stuff that should work out of the box, i remember why i got out of IT now...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 06:57:33 AM »
this is the kind of stuff that should work out of the box

Yup, it is the kind of reason people switch to Macs.

Wait... did I say that?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 07:15:48 AM »
well some google searching and registry edits fixed it. this is the kind of stuff that should work out of the box, i remember why i got out of IT now...
So... what was the fix?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 07:23:45 AM »
bad practice, i know, but i tried a couple of different things and did a restart - after which it worked. so i couldn't honestly tell you the individual thing that fixed it, just that the solution lied somewhere here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/file-application-sharing/66647-win-xp-home-logon-failure-user-has-not-been-granted-requested-logon-type.html

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 07:38:03 AM »
Wow some of that stuff is complete overkill.  I bet it had something to do with the classic vs. guest type of file sharing, which seems that resource kit they recommend fixes for you.

I tried to find the option, but I have Vista and they have completely redid the UI for sharing so I can't tell you what it looks like in XP.  But yeah there was an option in one of the MMC snap-ins to use classic sharing (accounts and passwords on the networked computers must match) and guest sharing (basically anyone can access the share in the network).

But I've always had trouble with the guest sharing.

Also keep in mind there are share permissions and NTFS permissions and they both apply on a file share (if you are using guest sharing, it uses the Guest account's permissions, and the Guest user is disabled by default).

Edit:  Yup.  Here is the likely fix:

Quote from: snog
FOUND IT!
Ok, same problem as everyone else.....
2 computers, one laptop, both XP Pro
Dell to laptop, can't access
Laptop to Dell, no problem

I do not want to download scripts from MS from 2003...
SOLUTION:
Start/Control Panel/Administrative tools/Local Security Policy
1. Security options/Network access: CHANGE to classic, users logon as themselves
2. User Rights Assignment: Access this computer from the netowork: add (by typing) "Administrators"

This works if the user (me!) is admin on both machines. Haven't fully tried if it works yet, but sure do get access both ways for the first time since I started trying, yihaaa.
I've spent hours and hours trying to fix this, reading all forums on the net....

Good luck, hope it works for you.
I was able to find it in Vista in the same place.  I'm not so sure step 2 there is completely necessary.  I've never had to mess with it in the past.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 08:10:35 AM »
Right, it's like magic, as I said before.  Perform the correct obscure incantations under a full moon, and then it works, never mind that it should have worked all along, or at least that there should have been a clear "make it so" procedure spelled out in the proper place in Windows for all to know.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 04:43:16 AM »
ok, resurrecting this thread here. problem is solved, but i think i actually found out why this time!

i had the problem again on a different set of laptops and was forced to find out where the issue came from. i thought that since this is a really common Windows issue, that seems to be the source of a massive ammount of networking problems i'd post the solution here.

scott was right - it's all related to the guest account. under "administrative tools > local security policy", there are dozens of settings saying who is and isn't allowed access to the system. if any of these settings restrict the "guest" account from getting in, you'll encounter the problem. from the sites i've trawled through and both sets of laptops i've been working with, it can be virtually any of these settings and requires a bit of "playing" to find out which setting is fucking things up.

so yes, obscure incantations indeed - but at least i know which ones to try if it happens again now.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 04:55:42 AM »
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 06:13:17 AM »
ok, resurrecting this thread here. problem is solved, but i think i actually found out why this time!

i had the problem again on a different set of laptops and was forced to find out where the issue came from. i thought that since this is a really common Windows issue, that seems to be the source of a massive ammount of networking problems i'd post the solution here.

scott was right - it's all related to the guest account. under "administrative tools > local security policy", there are dozens of settings saying who is and isn't allowed access to the system. if any of these settings restrict the "guest" account from getting in, you'll encounter the problem. from the sites i've trawled through and both sets of laptops i've been working with, it can be virtually any of these settings and requires a bit of "playing" to find out which setting is fucking things up.

so yes, obscure incantations indeed - but at least i know which ones to try if it happens again now.
I always switched to the classic sharing type, where you have to have the same user ID and password on both systems.  Like I said, I always had trouble using the guest method.  I just found it much easier to get working that way (and so must most other people as almost all Windows network share fixes you find on the Internet recommend using the classic type).

But yeah it sucks to maintain the same password on two systems and sometimes you have a situation where the user ID naming convention is different on both systems.