Author Topic: If you had to tell people what you "do".  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
If you had to tell people what you "do".
« on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 01:04:18 PM »
I'm just curious about this, as I was thinking about it the other day.  People are so often defined by their jobs.  "What do you do?" - "Oh, I'm a loan consultant."  You know?  But really, I think oftentimes that defines us as people far less than the things that really matter to us.  I work for the Department of Child Support, and that doesn't define me on any level.  I hate it and have hated it every second that I've done it.  If I was really to give an answer to that question with something *meaningful*, I'd say that I write, because I think of all the things I do, that's the thing that defines me best as a person... in terms of goals, loves, interests, and endeavors.

If you were to answer that question in some sort of more honest way, other than just tossing out a profession, what would it be?  Or are your career goals (or even lack thereof) or educational goals something that defines you well?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Antares

• Veteran
Re: If you had to tell people what you "do".
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 02:52:57 PM »
I've always hated answering this question, especially since I used to hate my job.  It is always one of the first questions someone asks when getting to know you, and I never used to like saying I was a claims adjuster.  Eventually I started just answering the question and moving on immediately with the conversation.

Nowadays I've been telling people I'm a personal banker with Citibank, it seems to go over pretty well, it sounds like a decent job, but isn't interesting enough to warrant any followup questions.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 04:32:57 PM »
I never liked the question either.  I am not my job (or lack thereof).  People feel the need to pidgeon-hole you, and I guess it can't be avoided.  I always say I'm a software guy, in one way or another.  It's what I identify with the most.

Que, if writing is your passion, and you're actually doing it, I see nothing wrong with saying you're a writer.  Your job is only the way you pay the bills, not what you really invest yourself into.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 04:45:23 PM »
I think I'd feel less guilty about it if I was, you know, published.  But one poem does not exactly translate into an exciting literary career.  I'm working on it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »
I'm a gamer. Makes me sound like a loser, but truer than anything else. Its not just playing them, its studying them, understanding what makes them work, and even a little wishful thinking designing.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 05:09:10 PM »
i'm a techy. i don't actually know what the official name of my position is, but i think techy describes me in more than just a job role anyway. i'm the kind of person who used to buy pc hardware not to play games, but to see how high he could get his 3dmark score. other than that, well i was unemployed for the last year and i did a lot of drugs, so drop-out, i guess.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 05:59:51 PM »
It depends who is asking. Usually I just try to make a joke or something, as I find the question generally mind-numbingly boring.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 06:34:20 PM »
well.. like you guys, i hate the question but i answer it if i have to. 

Sometimes, I say "I'm not at liberty to divulge such information."

If it's someone with an attitude of "let's see who has the better title", I always sweetly say, "Oh, I just hang out and have fun!".  It totally ruins them.

If it's just a question to break the ice or be polite, I have random answers from business manager, all-around assistant, cook, traveler, researcher etc etc.

Taken.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:47:10 AM »
My response is usally: "I love, I live, I laugh, I chill out, play games, relax. Oh you mean for a living? I'm a graphic designer, public relations consultant, and event manager."

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »
I sell drugs

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
i'm a techy. i don't actually know what the official name of my position is, but i think techy describes me in more than just a job role anyway. i'm the kind of person who used to buy pc hardware not to play games, but to see how high he could get his 3dmark score. other than that, well i was unemployed for the last year and i did a lot of drugs, so drop-out, i guess.
Haha.

I'm sort of the same as well.  I have an IT-related job, but it is  pretty low on the totem pole in terms of an IT career.  I'm a techy too.  I loved my project of setting up not only a Linux VMware virtual server, but file and web servers on top of that.  I'm always looking for some sort of tech project to occupy my time.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:39:53 PM »
I tell people I'm a carpenter, and a student. If they don't like it, fuck them. I don't care.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »
Musician. Yup.
|

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 01:44:22 AM »
I tell people I'm a carpenter, and a student. If they don't like it, fuck them. I don't care.
I love that attitude! hehe

I know that's how I feel, but too often I resort to a more diplomatic way of expressing myself. I'm involuntarily polite. It's a terrible affliction.