Author Topic: Gamespot GOTY chosen!  (Read 6917 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Gamespot GOTY chosen!
« Reply #40 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »
Well Galaxy won the GOTY award. Reader's choice went to Crysis. You have to wonder... how did the fans of Crysis outvote the console fanboys?

Never underestimate the power and legions of PC gamers, pal. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 11:31:25 AM »
I'm just glad readers voted The Witcher in for best RPG.  It deserved it about a hundred billion times more than Persona 3.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
That really shocked me. Both the votes for Crysis and The Witcher were totally unexpected. Not because of the quality of those games, but because we know how the console fanboys are.

I was looking at the sales figures for Crysis and The Witcher. Crysis has been the number two selling game in most of Europe since release, behind COD4. It has been the number one selling game in Japan, which is quite weird.

The Witcher has been selling really well. When it debuted, it was no1 in most of Europe.

The surprising thing is that it made a lot of money in the US of A as well. This was after very little marketing in North America.

So yes, it makes me quite happy.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 01:08:28 PM by Pugnate »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 12:28:59 PM »
RPG fans are pretty fanatical, so to see a game really appeal to their intelligence and maturity with a game that feels revolutionary (in some ways, story mostly) and very old school at the same time, with dark themes and subject matter... that really counts for something.  Word spread fast.  And I think Europe has made a big impact this time around.  A lot of what's popular here doesn't garner the same following it does there, but it seems with these two games a ton of European and American players all really got behind them fan-wise.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »
That really shocked me. Both the votes for Crysis and The Witcher were totally unexpected. Not because of the quality of those games, but because we know how the console fanboys are.

I was looking at the sales figures for Crysis and The Witcher. Crysis has been the number two selling game in most of Europe since release, behind COD4. It has been the number one selling game in Japan, which is quite weird.

The Witcher has been selling really well. When it debuted, it was no1 in most of Europe.

The surprising thing is that it made a lot of money in the US of A as well. This was after very little marketing in North America.

So yes, it makes me quite happy.
Though, I did expect Crysis to sell well, regardless -- namely b/c the "casual gamers" would notice that EA was publishing and that it was a FPS. FPS's always seemed to sell well here. Plus, you'll have the legion of "hardcore gamers" that really liked Far Cry and want to see what Crytek's now up to.

Though, I wasn't sure how well Crysis would fly w/ the 256 MB GF 6800 being a minimum requirement; you'll already kicking casual gamers in the head w/ that requirement, basically. You'd basically force some to say "I'll wait a while..." or "Okay, I'll upgrade NOW."

About The Witcher, it did like 1 million sales worldwide after 1 or 2 weeks!!! Rightfully deserved, as this is probably one of the best RPG's this millennium. I'm glad the gamers voiced their opinions and chose The Witcher for their RPG.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
About The Witcher, it did like 1 million sales worldwide after 1 or 2 weeks!!! Rightfully deserved, as this is probably one of the best RPG's this millennium. I'm glad the gamers voiced their opinions and chose The Witcher for their RPG.

Where'd you get that from?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 02:53:50 PM »
Where'd you get that from?

It was on somewhere in my Witcher thread. It's somewhere on their website and message boards. Let me find it...

..Gimmie a lil' time!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »
Found it.

News story here

Cdprojekt chief designer Michael madej reported that the witcher has sold 100,000 copies in poland and more than a million copies worldwide

'For Polish readers, Andrzej Sapkowski and his The Witcher epic, are household names. The game hardly needs promotion either here or in Russia, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, where Sapkowski is widely read. But in the West he has been little known. As part of the promotion campaign, a collection of Sapkowski’s short stories about the witcher was translated into English. Signals on sales reaching the CD Projekt studio show the game is doing extremely well.

“For example is the second best-selling game in Germany. It is only a PC and it is able to compete with games selling on different platforms, like consoles and play stations. We are in the first ten or even five best selling games in Great Britain and in all countries in Europe and America. In Poland, our success it is unbelievable, because in the first three days we sold more copies than some titles sell in ten years.”'

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 03:32:26 PM »
That's awesome!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, December 30, 2007, 01:20:11 AM »
Found it.

News story here

Look in the comments section. The guy who translated that article, made a mistake.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, December 30, 2007, 05:44:23 AM »
Bah! :(

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, December 30, 2007, 06:09:42 AM »
Still, it's good to hear that it's doing that good.