Author Topic: What I just bought  (Read 2198 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
What I just bought
« on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 02:02:57 AM »
As advertised when I opened Steam

It's a shame I had to buy them that way, but I was thinking about trying to track down Uplink just the other day, and the price really couldn't be any better for all three.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: What I just bought
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 02:14:28 AM »
Uplink is fun for a while because the concept works, but it gets pretty boring pretty quickly.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 02:15:21 AM »
Yeah.  And it's hard as hell.  I did like it, though.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »
Cool for that score on ALL those games together!

Though, if you got a Big Lots near you, you could've found Darwinia for around $4 or $6 there -- and it comes w/ a cool keychain of a "3D green sprite" in the box, too!

And No STEAM to deal w/ in the retail box version, either!

Ain't seen the other two (DefCon nor Uplink) at Big Lots, though...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »
Uplink:  You guys are dead right about it.  I've "died" three times because the police tracked me down...but they didn't, they just got close. Whacked because the only option is completely start over again, and it's not the type of game you want to do that because the beginning consists of copying or deleting files for about an hour.

Defcon: Pretty fun, but I was hoping it'd be a bit more like a risk type of game, or maybe at least have a bit more of a SP focus.  Maybe I just need more practice though.

Darwinia: this seems like it will be winner in this anthology, but some of the tasks are tedious as hell.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 17, 2007, 12:23:48 AM »
Yeeeeah, uplink....Uplink sucks balls after the first hour or so of a game.  I just played again to make sure I wasn't fucking up before, and it seems like no matter what I do I randomly get caught for something.  I'll go in, do what I have to do with the monitors, firewalls, and proxys off, delete the logs, and then log out before being traced everytime, and sure enough I'll randomly get a message saying "You've been caught by a major corp. and we've destroyed your computer and data".  I'll get it even if I'm not hacking anything.  Whacked.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 17, 2007, 12:52:54 PM »
Uplink is fun for a while because the concept works, but it gets pretty boring pretty quickly.