Author Topic: New Xbox?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
New Xbox?
« on: Sunday, January 06, 2008, 10:47:48 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: New Xbox?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 06, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
Sounds like crap to me, especially now that Blu-ray has 70% of the movie discs with WB's move.  This is exactly the wrong time for MS to take the chance they wisely avoided by keeping HD DVD separate from the 360. They could easily create a Blu-ray add-on if, er, when Blu-ray takes over the whole market.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 07, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »
Yeah nevermind the fact that MS denied it, they normaly just don't comment on stuff like this, but they actually denied it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 07, 2008, 03:31:28 AM »
They denied the Xbox Elite version as well... but now that I think about it, it makes little business sense.

But yea the WB move has really set things one way in the HD format.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 07, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
That rumor sounds completely bogus.  Microsoft sells the 360 wireless adapters for $100 USD.  Now they are going to include it?  Either they are taking a hit on the retail sales of the adapter and not increasing the price of the 360 by $100 or they are in fact increasing the unit price by $100 to preserve that revenue.  Then you add on the cost of the HD-DVD drive.  This thing would be $600 or $700.  Insane.

Besides, I doubt Microsoft would release an HD-DVD based console at this point, especially since Blu-Ray is clearly taking the upper hand.  Microsoft already said they would change support to Blu-Ray if that format came out on top, so it's not like they are going to staunchly and stubbornly ride HD-DVD to its grave.

Sony may actually win a format war for once.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 07, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »
I'm really starting to get fucking sick of technology.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 07, 2008, 10:27:53 PM »
Well now they are rumors that it is a new Xbox entirely, which makes even less sense. Apparently they are working on something...but who knows what.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
Damnit.  If I wanted to upgrade my console every six months I would have bought a PC.  Enough with the stupid ad-ons.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 05:43:32 AM »
I should probably sell my 360.  I haven't even had it plugged in once for like eight months and if Microsoft announces a new Xbox 360, the value of the current console will plummet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 09:05:38 AM »
Really?  Wow.  I'm going to sound like a fanboy here.  I can't see being into console games at all and not owning a 360 at this point.  Without it, Peggle and old games would be all my entertainment.  I'm done with Mario Galaxy, MP3 and Super Paper Mario.  If anything, it's the Wii that makes me wonder if I could use that desk space better.

I'm also surprised that you all are worried about some magical variation of the 360.  Whatever it may be, if anything, isn't going to obsolete the standard.  Microsoft is not stupid, and it's way too early for Xbox 3.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 09:11:43 AM »
I'm not talking about the next Xbox, but a redesign of the current one.  Like the PSX:PS1, PS2:PS2 slim, and GBA:GBA SP, the original loses a portion of its resale value once a new design is announced.

As to my desire for the 360... I'm pretty underwhelmed by it.  The whole Xbox Live system impresses me, but I am not real happy with the game selection.  Almost everything I want is out or will be out on PC.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »
I figured you meant a variation of the current system, not the following gen.  If you want to dump the 360 altogether, then yes, now would be a good time.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
The rumor is right now is that there will be a blu-ray peripheral much like the HD-DVD add-on drive.  I've really heard nothing else at the moment.