Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius, the Blade Runner.  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Oscar Pistorius, the Blade Runner.
« on: Monday, January 14, 2008, 05:16:17 AM »
This is guy is really cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius

Oscar Pistorius (born November 22, 1986) is a South African Paralympic runner. Known as the "Blade Runner" and "the fastest man on no legs", Pistorius is the double amputee world record holder in the 100, 200 and 400 metres events and runs with the aid of carbon fibre transtibial artificial limbs.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Oscar Pistorius, the Blade Runner.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 14, 2008, 06:28:18 AM »
Sweet! Respect man!

Ooh he's younger than me by 5 years and a day!

Edit:
His artificial lower legs, while enabling him to compete, have also generated claims that he has an unfair advantage over other runners. In 2007, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) amended its competition rules to ban the use of "any technical device that incorporates springs, wheels or any other element that provides a user with an advantage over another athlete not using such a device". It claimed that the amendment was not specifically aimed at Pistorius, and is monitoring his track performances using high-definition cameras to determine whether he actually has an advantage.

Shouldn't there be some kind of award for inventing artificial limbs that are superior?? If the IAAF has issues with such parts why don't they just provide standardized equipment to all contestants, basically it will be "Who can win with these?" Then again that's my view on any sport involving equipment, unless of course it's meant to be a contest of equipment craftsmanship.

Whether or not his artificial legs give him an advantage I think it's pretty badass to pull it off!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 14, 2008, 06:33:22 AM »
And his kicks would cut you.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 14, 2008, 06:51:38 AM »
Wired did a feature on him several months back.  The Olympic committee and other full-bodied contestants don't want him competing in the regular events because they feel his Cheetahs (that's what they're called) artificially lengthen his stride, which gives him an advantage.

The engineers don't agree, because Oscar doesn't have calf muscles that give that extra burst.  The Cheetahs have a bit of springing action which makes up for it, but not completely (supposedly).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 14, 2008, 10:58:06 AM »
Interesting stuff on all counts.  It's more like a science-fiction movie than I might have thought!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野