Author Topic: No More Heroes - why wasn't I informed?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
No More Heroes - why wasn't I informed?
« on: Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 01:20:46 AM »
Seriously, I've seen nothing on this game at all, but I'll be damned if that doesn't look like awesome good fun.

Damn it.  Just what I needed - another game for the Wii that I can't play.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: No More Heroes - why wasn't I informed?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 01:53:09 AM »
Well, I can!  Mwahaha.  I just ordered it from Amazon.  I knew the game was coming, but I thought only the Japanese version was being released soon.  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 06:45:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure I said something about this game long ago and no one cared. Its ok, the Nickclone forgives you.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 08:21:51 AM »
Maybe it was you that I heard it from originally, nick.  All I remembered was the name, nothing else seemed familiar.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
I've been interested in this game, but I have no Wii to play it on, hopefully a port will happen, even though I doubt it will.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »
Given its use of the motion controls, I'd guess not.  It actually seems like one of the better games to use those really effectively, if the general buzz is any indication.

Offline PyroMenace

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
So Gamespot got paid big bucks then?

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »
I just picked it up from the store and played through the first level.  I only meant to play for a few minutes, but I felt compelled to play through the first boss.  It was rather fun.  The little touches here and there are nice.  There's a lot of throwback touches, like the 8-bit style life bars and presentation.  It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a fun action game.  There aren't too many uses of the motion sensing other than finishing blows and wrestling moves.  Those are handled pretty well.  The art style is interesting, I liked it.  I did have fun with it for the 30 minutes or so I played.
Do play the tutorial, just so you have a feel for all the moves you can do in the game. 
One little thing that might get annoying is having to recharge the beam katana.  I kept forgetting about that and would slash away, only to run out of a charge and getting my ass kicked before I could recharge it.  So, just keep an eye out on your katana's battery level and you should be good to go.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »
I suspect it's one of those things where if you really appreciate the absurdity of the subject matter (it's all well-presented from what I've read, and the story's supposed to be fairly compelling), you'll probably think it's awesome.  If not as much, it's probably just a fun action game with neat art direction.  Which I suppose is kind of how Killer 7 was, but honestly, that game confused the fuck out of me.  I've always wanted to go back, but I didn't understand even a lick of what was going on even after getting through the first third of the game.  My guess is that this one isn't quite so blindingly esoteric.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 24, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »
Reminds me a lot of Killer 7.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 31, 2008, 12:18:17 PM »
I just picked it up from the store and played through the first level.  I only meant to play for a few minutes, but I felt compelled to play through the first boss.  It was rather fun.  The little touches here and there are nice.  There's a lot of throwback touches, like the 8-bit style life bars and presentation.  It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a fun action game.  There aren't too many uses of the motion sensing other than finishing blows and wrestling moves.  Those are handled pretty well.  The art style is interesting, I liked it.  I did have fun with it for the 30 minutes or so I played.
Do play the tutorial, just so you have a feel for all the moves you can do in the game. 
One little thing that might get annoying is having to recharge the beam katana.  I kept forgetting about that and would slash away, only to run out of a charge and getting my ass kicked before I could recharge it.  So, just keep an eye out on your katana's battery level and you should be good to go.

This was pretty much how I felt after the 39 minutes it took to get through the 1st boss.  I played around inside the hotel room.  I even fed the cat.  Interesting that you save while sitting on the toilet.  Then I went outside, got through the cutscene with Sylvia Christel.  (Haha!  You know who Sylvia Kristel is, right?)  And I ran around the open world, found my bike and rode around for a while.  It handles like crap, but I imagine riding skill doesn't enter into the game.  GTA it is not.  This part of the game is very rudimentary.  The fighting feels a lot more polished and fun.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 31, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
The main character was modeled after Johnny Knoxville.

Suda 51, that crazy guy

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 14, 2008, 05:09:06 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 14, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »
That was excellent.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 14, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »
Haha!  I saw that last week, and again now.  I think his reviews are an art form by themselves.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 06:14:30 AM »
I like watching ones for games I've played.  It makes more sense.  Otherwise I don't have anything to relate to and it's not as funny.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 21, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »
This game is crack cocaine.

I bought it Saturday and I've done nothing with my free time since but play it.  One of the very few games on the Wii that I can confidently say is better because of the controls.  This game wouldn't be as fun on another console.

If you own a Wii, you have to play this game.