Author Topic: Assassins Creed PC to have extra content  (Read 7634 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Assassins Creed PC to have extra content
« on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
London, UK – February 6, 2008 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, unveiled Assassin’s Creed™ for PC will be available at retailers end of March.

Following in the wake of the critically acclaimed and worldwide console hit Assassin’s Creed, the PC version entitled “Assassin’s Creed™, Director’s cut edition” will feature four brand new exclusive types of investigations, thus providing even more ways for players to explore the various locations of the Third Crusade.

Players will assume the role of the main character, Altair, and will work to stop hostilities by suppressing both sides of the conflict and experience the art of a master assassin. With more than 5 million units of the console versions sold to date worldwide since its mid-November 2007 launch, Assassin’s Creed PC is set to expand upon this success.

“We are thrilled to bring Assassin’s Creed to an eager PC audience and we anticipate the game will resonate with them just has it has across the other platforms,” said John Parkes, EMEA Marketing Director at Ubisoft. “Assassin’s Creed is a game that must be experienced firsthand to fully understand how dynamic and meaningful this title has become for video game fans worldwide.”
I'm not sure what they mean by "investigations", but more = good, right?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Assassins Creed PC to have extra content
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »
The buzz seems to be that the game could have used some more development time to give it more depth.  Adding more types of investigations, and staggering them through the cities/districts, would help with the repetitiveness that so many complained about.  The question is, though, will they be up to par with what's already there, at least?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »
It seems a lot of critics and gamers found the game to be a bit of a dud. Some even said it was more of a tech demo than a fully realized game. Is that true?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »
Not at all.  Not from my perspective.  I played the game for weeks, and I was fully immersed.  After a while, I felt like the prince of Persia himself.  Love the full realization of the mechanics and the world.  Loved the storyline.  Loved the ancient vs modern dichotomy.  Yes, there are repetitive elements.  If you enjoy what you're doing, so what?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
Assassin's Creed is a great game.  There is more potential though that isn't fully realized, but the storyline, the open world, and the general gameplay is fantastic.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 03:32:20 PM »
A lot of people here at work were pretty underwhelmed by the game.  I haven't played it myself.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
Everything Cobra said holds true for me as well, though I still haven't finished it.  I got back into FFXII and now I'm not playing games at all for February because of FAWM.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
This is good news. I'm still very anxious about this.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »
Oh, so that's what the extra gig of RAM is for...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 12:40:41 AM »
That's funny. But now I have this sinking feeling that the joke will be repeated a few hundred times on the net.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
IGN Review

7.8, not bad.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »
I'm grabbing their video review so that I can make myself sick with what I can't play on my hardware.

Edit:  It doesn't look vastly better, though I imagine the frame rate on good hardware would be closer to ideal than the locked 30 fps on the 360.  I can't tell that from the video, which I imagine is 24 fps.  (VLC won't tell me the frame rate of this FLV video.)  It seems DX9 is the better choice.  DX10 doesn't run as well, so, as the reviewer says, what's the point?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 01:20:44 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 02:38:22 PM »
HookedGamers.com gives ACPC a 8.0

WARNING: 2nd paragraph of the review sounds like it gives game spoilers (without warning), so you might want to be careful if you care about that...

EDIT:
GameZone gives ACPC the score of 8.3
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 04:40:09 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
I can hardly wait man. I've been counting down! I'm gonna pass by Virgin megastore tonight and see if they've got it.

I'm gonna play it with no expectations though, with no basis on any reviews or comments I've heard so far.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »
GameSpot
8.5 from GameSpot for PC version of AC.

The PC version has a few more issues than its console counterparts, and the keyboard-and-mouse controls strip away some of the smooth magic of exploration. Nevertheless, if you don't mind plugging in a gamepad and have a system that exceeds the system requirements, you'll find the same free-form travels and atmospheric game world that console owners enjoyed last year.

On a high-powered PC, these elements look even more stunning than they did on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but the splendor comes with a price: The minimum requirements to play Assassin's Creed are surprisingly high, particularly where the CPU is concerned (a dual-core processor is mandatory). On one test PC that runs Crysis at a respectable frame rate on medium settings, Assassin's Creed slowed to a crawl at lower settings. A high-end test machine ran the game with much better results, though with some occasional slowdown.

The PC version of Assassin's Creed isn't the superior one, but this is a case where translation to the PC resulted in some minor hiccups rather than obvious gaffes. If you don't have the opportunity to play it on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, you should pick up a copy and immerse yourself in its memorable world. It's the kind of game you want to show your friends even if they're not into games, and if you have a high-powered computer, it's one that should be in your collection.

EDIT:
GameSpy
3½ stars from GameSpy (out of 5)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 01:48:50 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2008, 09:34:31 PM »
I checked with Virgin and it should be here (UAE) in about a week. I'll hold my patience with SC: Forged Alliance and 12Sky (a free MMORPG).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 10, 2008, 04:07:03 AM »
Apparently Assassin's Creed PC is available on Steam now.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 pre-purchase is also available on Steam.

Has Ubisoft struck a major deal with Valve?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 10, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
Yeah, Ubi recently made a deal. They are eventually going to put up a lot of back catalog on Steam (something like 42 games I think they said)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 10, 2008, 01:52:29 PM »

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, April 13, 2008, 10:41:37 PM »
You know, I got it up and running on my PC and it looks amazing.  I think it's even more detailed on the PC than it was on the 360 already.  And it plays wonderfully.  Smooth and without a hitch.  The only thing is that it seems unduly complicated on the keyboard, so I had to switch to the 360 controller.  I've been trying to set it to what I remember on the 360, but unfortunately can't get the RB and LB to function as actual buttons.  Buh.  Otherwise, very pretty.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 05:14:52 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 06:53:24 AM »
Ubi is already working on a Patch for ACPC to fix a bunch of issues and to remove DX10.1 support, since they think it needs to be re-worked.

This is from UbiRazz of Ubi Montreal, on the ACPC Official Boards.

Quote from: UbiRazz of Ubi Montreal
Hi guys,

I’m glad to see some familiar faces around here and it’s cool to be back! I used to work in Ubisoft’s UK office but I’m now working in the Montreal studio, where they developed Assassin’s Creed, and for the foreseeable future I’ll be here as your community developer.

Having me here basically means that I’ll be giving you updates on what’s going on with Assassin’s Creed and the first bit of news I have is that we’re planning to release a patch for the PC version of Assassin’s Creed that addresses the majority of issues reported by fans.

In addition to addressing reported glitches, the patch will remove support for DX10.1, since we need to rework its implementation. The performance gains seen by players who are currently playing Assassin’s Creed with a DX10.1 graphics card are in large part due to the fact that our implementation removes a render pass during post-effect which is costly.

We don’t have an exact date for the release of this patch but we’re hard at work and hope to have further updates soon.

Thanks guys

UR

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »
Man, I am loving this game! It's addictive and it incorporates a lot of things I always wanted in an open-world game!

I also checked the reqs on the back of the DVD case and the RAM reqs are 1GB for XP and 2GB for Vista, which are very reasonable compared to the leaked reqs. ALso it doesn't say anything about minimum or recommended reqs.. I gather these are the minimum and anything higher is recommended.

The only visual drawback I've noticed is that the game is permanently in widscreen mode, so on 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions it is cropped (which is not really that much of an issue), it's kinda like a widescreen movie DVD.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »
It's called lazy fucking development and yes, it's pretty standard, especially on the console side of things (360 is the worst offender I've yet seen, with virtually no developer offering any *real* SD support other than letterbox).  Makes sense considering AC is very much a console game at heart.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
I suppose they're using passive aggressive means to convince everyone to buy new TV's.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it. The only gripes I have so far are:

• Beggars only react to Altaïr. They only notice me and don't the same way to other NPC's moving around them. They are so fooking irritating.
  • Drunks only react to me as well! And they're even worse than the beggars. They seem to go out of their way to push me, yet they have no reaction to anyone else.
  • Water is deadly. I can understand that they didn't want to implement a swimming mechanic but Altaïr can survive a nosedive into a haystack!

They're not really big issues, more like things to consider for the sequel.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 01:54:20 PM »
The only visual drawback I've noticed is that the game is permanently in widscreen mode, so on 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions it is cropped (which is not really that much of an issue), it's kinda like a widescreen movie DVD.
Widescreen movies aren't cropped.  The fullscreen (4:3) versions are.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »
Widescreen movies aren't cropped.  The fullscreen (4:3) versions are.
Sorry, I meant letterboxing; black strips across the top and bottom; as oppose to Bioshock in which widescreen modes were actually cropped.

It's not that big a deal though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »
I just noticed one more minor irritation.

When I want to quit playing I have to actually exit 4 times and sign-in once before I'm back to Windows. Specifically I have to "Exit Memory" which has to load the Animus scene, in which I have to "Exit Animus" followed by pausing and selecting "Quit Game" which takes me to the title screen, then I have to sign into my profile before I can finally select "Exit Game."

It doesn't interfere with the gameplay or anything, just a minor detail that could probably be attended to in the next AC.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 12:48:48 AM »
Or you could just hit Alt-F4.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 02:38:08 AM »
Or you could just hit Alt-F4.
That's what I would do, but in some games I noticed it can affect the save file (it doesn't register or becomes corrupted). I'm not sure how it affects AC's save file, but it may be a viable option.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 02:44:53 AM »
You're ok with AC since it's constantly saving the game.  Everytime you get through a major event it auto-saves, so I think you'll be ok there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 03:03:41 AM »
You're ok with AC since it's constantly saving the game.  Everytime you get through a major event it auto-saves, so I think you'll be ok there.
Coolness. Thanks Hoob!

I'm really loving this game. The parkour bits are great!

I've been playing it with a gamepad so far. Now that I've finished it I'm gonna try it out with the KB+Mouse, mainly to give it a real shot but also to make it feel fresher the second time around.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
The issue with the kb and mouse bits is that I find the climbing and sprinting bits don't work as well as with a controller.  You just don't get the same range of motions on a keyboard, unfortunately.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »
The issue with the kb and mouse bits is that I find the climbing and sprinting bits don't work as well as with a controller.  You just don't get the same range of motions on a keyboard, unfortunately.
Yeah, you're kinda limited to key directions rather than a smooth analogue set. I generally use the mouse for direction, so it's pretty smooth, and the keyboard for sharp turn or 180's.

So far I'm finding it fairly straight forward with the KB+Mouse controls. It took me a bit to get used to the keys especially in combat. My mind is still kinda mapped to the gamepad buttons since they're directly matched with the diagram on the top right. It wasn't until I reverted my perspective to the Prince of Persia style that I got a better grasp on it.

All in all I think they did a great job of making it work.

Speaking of the combat, from the Gamespot review and many player comments I gathered that the combat is supposedly difficult and generally a bad idea in most cases.. Honestly, the combat is frickin' easy. It's just a matter of timing. No matter how many people you're up against you're only ever attacked by them one at a time. I like the counterattack system I just wish there was a tad more variety to how my enemies attack me. As it is, all the fights end up being essentially the same thing: guard, wait for attack, counter, next. Repetitive, but never fails.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »
I gave it a 9/10.. I would have given it an 8/10 but the proper Arabic pronounciation warranted an extra point. I was so impressed with that ;D

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 01:14:15 AM »
Not sure if this was posted, but I haven't come across it on here yet:

Yahtzee's take on AC

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 06:03:38 AM »
Not sure if this was posted, but I haven't come across it on here yet:

Yahtzee's take on AC

Hehe, gotta' love Yahtzee.
Yeah, that was a funny review.

I love the whole part of him complaining how everyone who you stab/kill has a soliloquy before they die.
That and the line about the enjoying a grille cheese sandwich that is replaced...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »
... the line about the enjoying a grille cheese sandwich that is replaced...
Haha that was disturbing!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 04:18:44 AM »
Apparently I wasn't the only one to note the "Exit Game" fiasco.

Assassin's Creed, I can't quit you...

I just use ALT+F4 now. Thanks for the reminder, Hoob :D

EDIT:
And here's an interesting amalgamation: Assassin's Solid