Author Topic: Knight Rider  (Read 2983 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Knight Rider
« on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
So, I just watched the Knight Rider backdoor pilot.  It was nothing real special, but the car was fucking badass.  I miss the old KITT voice, but other than that it was sweet.

So I was thinking about it... can a show like Knight Rider survive in 2008?  I mean the original was pretty cheesy too and it was all about the sweet car, but it wasn't a prime time show.  I just don't know how it can work these days.  It almost has to be one of those Saturday day or middle of the day type of shows that we used to watch as kids (along with Dukes of Hazzard).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Knight Rider
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »
I agree. I watched it (my bro is a huge Knight Rider fan) and it was ok. I just don't know if a car-centric show will work out in prime time.

Remember that show "Viper"?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »
I think I watched it once.  It was obviously inspired by Knight Rider, but the car sucked.  It transformed, but the transformed car was stupid.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 09:16:32 PM »
You guys were little kids at the time, so it makes sense you liked it.  I always thought it was cheesy as hell, and used to laugh at it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »
Actually, I was never into Knight Rider, only my brother. But he was always a car nut, so shows like KR and Dukes of Hazzard were like gold for him.

I don't remember watching a lot of TV. Though I do remember watching Happy Days and The Monkees.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »
Both of those shows sucked.  Now, back to car shows...

Oh, there's no question that Knight Rider was cheesy as hell.  I remember in particular this one episode where KITT was damaged and Michael was injured and they had to get away and he enabled KITT's ramjet.  Think about that.  If you don't know what a ramjet is, look it up and then think about how ridiculous that concept is.

But hey, I loved the show.  And Dukes too.  Especially Dukes.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »
Even when I was little I thought that show was stupid as hell.  There's no way I'd watch it now, cool car or not.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 10:27:57 PM »
I always loved the show but it probably has more to do with my man-car love obsession than anything.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 01:45:05 AM »
I loved that show. :(

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 10:52:31 AM »
Isn't a ramjet a scoop which forces air into the combustion chamber after a car is moving fast (60+ mph)?  It has the same effect as a turbocharger, except the motive force is the car's airspeed instead of a turbine.  OK, I'll look up the official word.

Edit:  Ha!  According to Wikipedia, I'm way off.

Edit 2:  The concept is similar to what I was thinking of, which is ram-air.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Interesting, I'd never heard of either thing.  My friend had a big-ass aftermarket intercooler and intake scoop on his MR2, but ram-air specifically is new to me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »
Isn't a ramjet a scoop which forces air into the combustion chamber after a car is moving fast (60+ mph)?  It has the same effect as a turbocharger, except the motive force is the car's airspeed instead of a turbine.  OK, I'll look up the official word.

Edit:  Ha!  According to Wikipedia, I'm way off.

Edit 2:  The concept is similar to what I was thinking of, which is ram-air.
What I mean is basically this:  A conventional jet engine (a turbojet) works by compressing air via a series of fan blades, mixing the compressed air with fuel, and burning the mixture and shooting it out the back.  A ramjet is a specific type of jet engine that has no ability to compress the air itself.  Instead, it relies on the pressure of air piling up in front of it as it moves through the air.  A ramjet sitting at 0 mph has no ability to compress air and subsequently generate thrust.  According to Wikipedia, ramjets are extremely inefficient less than mach 0.5 and generate very little thrust.  I think it also said that the lowest speed one has been tested is 100mph.

Basically, the concept of a car using a ramjet is completely absurd.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
But it sounds cool.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 01:14:04 PM »
Yeah, I know.

Besides, that show is full of such examples.  Like one time KITT locked the steering wheel of another conventional car by sending out some sort of signal.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
What I mean is basically this:  A conventional jet engine (a turbojet) works by compressing air via a series of fan blades, mixing the compressed air with fuel, and burning the mixture and shooting it out the back.  A ramjet is a specific type of jet engine that has no ability to compress the air itself.  Instead, it relies on the pressure of air piling up in front of it as it moves through the air.  A ramjet sitting at 0 mph has no ability to compress air and subsequently generate thrust.  According to Wikipedia, ramjets are extremely inefficient less than mach 0.5 and generate very little thrust.  I think it also said that the lowest speed one has been tested is 100mph.

Basically, the concept of a car using a ramjet is completely absurd.

I think the show expected you to leave your brain at the door when it centered around a talking car. Though I suppose that is more probable.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »
Yes we are very close to cars that drive themselves and fairly decent AIs or at least speech recognition.  Of course... in the 80's we were not.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »
I think the show expected you to leave your brain at the door when it centered around a talking car.

Yeah, exactly. I was going to point out how breaking down the nuances of the show when it centers around a talking car is a little silly.

Besides, you are ignoring the fact that KITT is a total bad ass. He's no average car.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
Sometimes I can only suspend my disbelief so far, especially when the overall setting is mildly plausible like Knight Rider.  Plausible in the sense that it supposedly takes place on Earth in the present day.

As an aside, I was looking at this thread at work when one of my co-workers came over.  Her name is Shakira and she's from Kenya.  She's fairly reserved, but funny.  Anyway, she saw what I was looking at and she was like "Oh did you watch Knight Rider last night? I thought it was awesome!"  My jaw must have been sitting on the floor because she was like "I used to love the original show when I was a kid."

It's just not what I expected at all from not only a girl, but her especially.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »
Sometimes I can only suspend my disbelief so far, especially when the overall setting is mildly plausible like Knight Rider

While an AI controlled talking car you can believe to be possible one day, you don't expect it to for example be casting spells or whatever. I was just trying to be funny when I talked about leaving your brain at he door. :P

Anyway, she saw what I was looking at and she was like "Oh did you watch Knight Rider last night? I thought it was awesome!"  My jaw must have been sitting on the floor because she was like "I used to love the original show when I was a kid."

She's from Kenya? I have a few friends from there.

At the age of around ten, even though I lived in the Middle East (where we had local American TV channels, as well as satellite TV), I did pay a couple of visits to Pakistan, where satellite and cable TV hadn't hit weren't available at the time. There were three state run channels in Pakistan, one of which would run popular American shows like McGuyer, Knight Rider, Street Hawk, Airworlf etc. once per evening. Everyone we visited was fascinated with such shows of course, partially because they were new and exciting for them.

I assume that's pretty much how it was in most poor countries. In countries where there was less choice in what to watch, it didn't matter if you were man, woman or child. Of course nowadays, cable TV is popular in every corner of the world.

These days, when it comes to my young female cousins, they watch all the girlie Nickelodeon shows, while their brothers stick to more manly programming. I think that just has to do with there being a 100 cable channels in Pakistan now.

Of course this could also be because your Kenyan friend just grew up around boys. For example, while my sister is very obviously a girl, among her favorite games are Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Unreal Tournament, and Max Payne. Of course she plays The Sims 2 every day as well... she is still a girl after all. :P

It's just not what I expected at all from not only a girl, but her especially.

Well, to be honest, people of a country can afford to make choices based on their sex when they grow up with more choices. I have no idea what the background of your coworker from Kenya is honestly, but I suspect that like my female cousins, she found Knight Rider fascinating because compared to the local choices, it was a fascinatingly big budget show.

It is like your comment in the past about the Yaris being a chick car. I realized that it was a very fair observation for most people from rich locations like the Middle east, Europe or North America, but in this part of the world, where there is less freedom in choie, most guys drive the car for more economical reasons.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 08:59:09 AM by Pugnate »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 06:05:34 AM »
Yeah, I suppose that all makes sense.

Your sister and mine would get along great.  She loves Baldur's Gate (1 & 2 and the expansion to 2), NWN (and all its expansions), and NWN2.  I gave her my copy of Planescape: Torment.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
Some day some guy will thank us for giving our sisters a better appreciation of the finer games in life.