Author Topic: CoD4 map pack sells 1 million in 9 days  (Read 6212 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
CoD4 map pack sells 1 million in 9 days
« on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »
Wow

At $10 a pop, thats $10,000,000 in 9 days. This is just on 360, it doesn't come out on PS3 until the 24th.

Sad, though. These idiots are ruining gaming. $10 million in 9 days for a pack of 4 maps? No wonder devs love this DLC shit. I like PC games where games get new maps just because. The latest patch will have a map or two in it to show the devs still love you. Now you have to break out your wallet.

Note, theres no word on whether these maps will even come to PC. I would imagine if they do it won't be for a while so they can give them out for free and not have console gamers bitch. They could try charge, but you know everyone will just pirate the maps. I wouldn't blame them for doing it, either.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: CoD4 map pack sells 1 million in 9 days
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »
They charged $10 for 4 maps?  Seriously?  If they sold $10 million's worth, I guess they had the right price for those idiots you mentioned.  I guess now they'll have to double the price of new XBLA games.  If a damn map pack sells for $10, why would a whole game only fetch that price?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 11:51:05 AM »
Didn't Halo start this trend? If I remember correctly, theirs was even more expensive.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
Wow

At $10 a pop, thats $10,000,000 in 9 days. This is just on 360, it doesn't come out on PS3 until the 24th.

Sad, though. These idiots are ruining gaming. $10 million in 9 days for a pack of 4 maps? No wonder devs love this DLC shit. I like PC games where games get new maps just because. The latest patch will have a map or two in it to show the devs still love you. Now you have to break out your wallet.

Note, theres no word on whether these maps will even come to PC. I would imagine if they do it won't be for a while so they can give them out for free and not have console gamers bitch. They could try charge, but you know everyone will just pirate the maps. I wouldn't blame them for doing it, either.
Really though, Infinity Ward should take a look at what CDProjekt RED just did w/ The Witcher w/ Price of Neutrality DLC and what Bioware will be doing w/ MEPC for Bring Down The Sky DLC...

They charged $10 for 4 maps?  Seriously?
I know I'm gonna get attacked for this, but to hell w/ this one on holding back...

...Really though, what kind of quantity did you expect from a company that gave you a SP Campaign that goes on for around 4-7 hours? :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »
That's not the point.  The point is that $10--800 points--is the price of a new XBLA game (as opposed to a straight port of an moldy oldie like Asteroids, which is 400 points).  How can they charge the same thing for 4 freaking maps for an existing game that they charge for an entire game, some of them quite good in their own right?  I don't want to ask them point blank, because they may get ideas.  ("Oh, you're right!  1200-1600 point games from now on.")

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
Yeah, its 4 maps. One is even a remake of a CoD1 map. Its like the horse armor thing again...its too expensive for what it is. Think about it...$10 million (so far) for 4 maps. How much did it cost them to develop CoD4 itself?

Though if this is the case, that people will pay this much for this stuff, perhaps thats an avenue worth exploring. I guess those Korean MMOs, Battlefield Heroes, and possibly Quake Live are going experiment with it. What if you developed a game and released the basic package for free? If it was well made and fun enough to get people to buy map packs like this you could stand to make a lot of money. Theres less risk than a full retail game. If your free version fails to gain and playerbase you no longer have to spend time making all the new content.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »
Well if you're really into MP, $10 bucks for 4 maps isn't terrible considering the time that you are going to be playing them. If you play those 4 maps more than you would an XBLA game, I don't see how the price could be considered outrageous. Plus the market has clearly spoken. 1 million in 9 days is insane. Looks like this kind of thing is around to stay.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »
Plus the idiots with too much money and no fucking lives have clearly spoken.

I'm guilty of buying some DLC, but it's been pretty few and far between.  I do think it's generally a bad trend, but it depends on what you get and for what price.  I think $10 for 4 maps is utterly outrageous.  Of course, I used to play games like Quake 2 where you could literally download 200 really high quality community maps within a year of the game's release.  And of course, I can't really speak to this because I haven't and won't be buying CoD4.  But whatever.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »
I think $10 for 4 maps (where one is a remake) is crazy, as well.
I'm sure I'll eventually be buying CoD4, but not until it gets cheaper...

I agree w/ Que -- yeah, I mean, the Quake 2 days w/ free community maps galore of such a high-quality were great. And some might be better trump some of the Id Designer maps, too...

Well if you're really into MP, $10 bucks for 4 maps isn't terrible considering the time that you are going to be playing them. If you play those 4 maps more than you would an XBLA game, I don't see how the price could be considered outrageous. Plus the market has clearly spoken. 1 million in 9 days is insane. Looks like this kind of thing is around to stay.
You know, you could probably say the same about any game (regardless of its amount of quality and quantity) that you spend money for and keep playing the same game with the same levels/same maps/same single player campaign/same MP features over and over and over and over and...well, you get the point...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 08:21:05 PM »
You know, you could probably say the same about any game (regardless of its amount of quality and quantity) that you spend money for and keep playing the same game with the same levels/same maps/same single player campaign/same MP features over and over and over and over and...well, you get the point...

?

When you pay for a game you are paying for entertainment. If you are entertained, is it not worth the money? I think that 10 bucks is a little ridiculous as well but the fact is, 1 million people (and counting) didn't, so there's not a damn thing that we can do about it. Once devs realize they can get 10 bucks for 4 maps, it's only going to get more prevalent.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »
It's morons like this that ruin it for everyone.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
When you pay for a game you are paying for entertainment. If you are entertained, is it not worth the money? I think that 10 bucks is a little ridiculous as well but the fact is, 1 million people (and counting) didn't, so there's not a damn thing that we can do about it. Once devs realize they can get 10 bucks for 4 maps, it's only going to get more prevalent.
Well, perhaps 1 million people did find it ridiculous, but they really have no other option. You either pay or you dont get new maps. They have no 3rd party map options.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #12 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
But the market dictates the price of the good. Would people pay for it if it were $20? $50? $100? It's not like they would have paid for it regardless of the price. They new what they were buying before hand and they bought it anyways. You can't really feel sorry for them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »
BTW, how are the 3rd party maps for CoD4 PC?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 09:37:37 PM »
But the market dictates the price of the good. Would people pay for it if it were $20? $50? $100? It's not like they would have paid for it regardless of the price. They new what they were buying before hand and they bought it anyways. You can't really feel sorry for them.

It's an artificial price because the audience is captive.  Yeah, they could scrap their 360, buy a game PC and replace CoD4 with something similar on the PC, then get free maps.  Or they could do entirely without.  Either way, they're kinda screwed.

You're right that they won't pay a really high price.  But if they'll pay $10, maybe next time they'll pay $20 . . . $25 . . .  At what point does the gouge cause enough outrage?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #15 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
It's an artificial price because the audience is captive.  Yeah, they could scrap their 360, buy a game PC and replace CoD4 with something similar on the PC, then get free maps.  Or they could do entirely without.  Either way, they're kinda screwed.

You're right that they won't pay a really high price.  But if they'll pay $10, maybe next time they'll pay $20 . . . $25 . . .  At what point does the gouge cause enough outrage?

How are they captive? Nobody is forcing them to buy these maps. Do you really think that the map pack would have sold 1 million copies in 9 days if it were $20?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 10:15:43 PM »
Technically, they are not forced.  In practice, those who get into the game online really are.  They have no option other than to do without.  All goodness flows through Microsoft and their business model.  If it gets abused, people will buckle under up to a point.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »
bit of a tangent, but i always see the prices on the various map packs as an early adopters fee. most of the map packs for other FPSs have ended up being free after a period of time. don't get me wrong, i don't think the pricing is remotely fair - but generally speaking, as long as you've got patience, you're not going to be missing out on anything.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #18 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 11:18:20 PM »
Technically, they are not forced.  In practice, those who get into the game online really are.  They have no option other than to do without. 

What?! They can play the game without the extra maps. They absolutely have another option - don't purchase the extra maps, and don't play them online.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
bit of a tangent, but i always see the prices on the various map packs as an early adopters fee. most of the map packs for other FPSs have ended up being free after a period of time. don't get me wrong, i don't think the pricing is remotely fair - but generally speaking, as long as you've got patience, you're not going to be missing out on anything.

That's the thing, all of the Halo map packs have gone free after 6 months or so.  I don't really see what the big deal is.  It's not like $10 is that much money, sure it's more than free, but it's not like that's a reasonable option here.  I get what everyone is saying, but I'll side with Ghandi on this; if the price was all that outrageous, they wouldn't have sold 1 million in 9 days.  The same could be said about the Virtual Console games;  I think they're a fucking rip off but I can see why someone might drop some change on one or two.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 12:06:53 AM »
Im more along the lines of what Ghandi and Gpw said. Gerstmann wrote a blog on Giantbomb about how Bad Company is going to charge for DLC, what was causing so much ache was that guns were included in the content. Is it so outrageous? Well its really your decision. If you don't like it, don't buy it. However if your one of those that really enjoy the game and think that 5 or 10$ is worth some more maps or other additional content, then go for it. If its something that will hinder gameplay balance where players who buy get an edge over players who dont, then im sure it will probably make a good bit of gamers sour and perhaps enough wont pay to where the devs won't bother trying it again.

Here's what Jeff wrote if you were curious.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »
What?! They can play the game without the extra maps. They absolutely have another option - don't purchase the extra maps, and don't play them online.

Come on.  Look at what happens in practice.  Someone lives for the game online, and his friends move on to the new maps.  He has no choice he's going to find acceptable.  That's all I'm trying to say.  Of course he can choose to abstain.  That's always a choice with any indulgence.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
Yeah, it really isn't a viable option if you really like the game and plan to stick with it.  You basically have no choice but to stop playing (even if just out of boredom since there's no new stuff for you to try) or buy the new stuff.  It's one thing if you've got a full expansion that runs a higher cost with more content and splits users down the middle, but small packs like this tend to integrate into the community quickly and fuck over those without them.

I'm not saying I'm completely against DLC (like I said, I've purchased some), but while you guys go on and on and on forever about how it's a choice and if you don't like it, get the fuck out, etc., any time anyone brings this up, what you completely fail to understand is that trends like this are trends, and they will continue to increase in prominence as people support them.

If nobody fights this shit now, expect to regularly pay $60 for a short-ass game with a few multiplayer maps/quests/weapons/whatever, then shell out another $10 to $30 over the life of the game just to buy enough content to actually make it worth the original purchase.  I'm not even arguing whether or not CoD4 is worth the price here, so let's not get into that again.  I'm fully willing to concede that the game is great, worth the price for many, and that the multiplayer is stellar and what a lot of people want the game for.  What I'm arguing is what will logically follow if these trends continue.  You can argue all you like that eventually people won't think it's worth it and will stop supporting it, but that's pure conjecture, and frankly we've seen nothing but an increase in willingness to pay for this stuff.  Especially with consumers who aren't hardcore gamers, don't buy as many games, and have little problem buying the latest AAA title and then shelling out more money for more content.  When they aren't buying another 3 games in the next month, what do they care?

Shorter games with higher price tags are, at least to some degree, a problem born from rising development costs, development timeframes, and decreasing consumer attention spans, but there comes a point where it won't be about any of those things and it will simply be about holding back content from a full release so extra money can be charged for it later.  And as gaming gets more popular, and AAA titles continue to sell more and more units simply based on ad saturation, expect this to get worse.  Also expect it to get worse as more and more business moves from retail to digital sales, where it's much easier to chop your product into individual pieces.

That may mean that eventually guys like us (or hell, maybe just like me since it seems a number of you have put the brakes on in recent years) who play a lot of games will simply avoid AAA titles and depend more on smaller development houses and such.  Frankly, that's been a trend in my own gaming life for several years.  I still play a lot of bigger games, but I rely more frequently on stuff that doesn't sell so well or comes out of more obscure sectors just because more and more high-budget games turn out to be homogenized crap that refuses to take any risk creatively or mechanically.

Anyway, I think you guys take a way too trusting stance on this and don't want to acknowledge how willing big companies are to do something that doesn't benefit you in any way.  Of course it depends on whether or not people are willing to accept it.  Of course it is!  But look at how much money large companies throw around to try and figure out what you're willing to spend!  If you check out how many places take surveys asking how much you buy, how many gaming websites have tie-ins with these things (Gamespot was recently added to the list, featuring surveys about your gaming habits you can take and be paid for), the surges in both public fronts like focus groups and private schemes like data collection... come on, does somebody have to slap you in the face with their genitalia before you realize they want to fuck you?

Okay, I'm willing to admit that I may be somewhat alarmist about this, but I think most of that comes from past experience.  We've seen where similar trends have taken us in the past, and I'm not willing to make concessions about what I think are very real possibilities of the future.  Even if it comes down to something as simple as games costing less money initially and having more content delivered over time, I still don't like that.  I don't space my games out over long periods because I play a lot of them.  I want at least most of my content delivered up front, I want to enjoy it, and then I'll check something else out.  I don't like episodic gaming for this reason either.  It doesn't mesh with my habits in any fashion.  Like I said, maybe that isn't the case for everyone, but for people like me I don't think there's any way to perceive these things as anything but detrimental.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »
I agree with what que said, but I'm far less wordy.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »
Excellent post, Que.  Wow.  I could not have said it that well, let alone better.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »
My problem is how casual gamers continually ruin the market.  Sure people are apparently willing to pay $10 for 4 maps.  But these people are idiots.  Don't they realize that stuff has been free since the dawn of multiplayer gaming?  Don't they realize that if they don't buy it, the developers will release them free like they always had in the past?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
That's it.  The extra maps have been a way to keep the ball rolling, to keep up the general interest in the game, maybe even increase it.  That attracts more people, and generates more sales of what legitimately is worth the cash: the game itself.  Now games are becoming half-empty containers for revenue streams.  That's too depressing.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »
Come on.  Look at what happens in practice.  Someone lives for the game online, and his friends move on to the new maps.  He has no choice he's going to find acceptable.  That's all I'm trying to say.  Of course he can choose to abstain.  That's always a choice with any indulgence.

I see what you are saying but this is the type of gamer that isn't going to be complaining. If they live for the game, they will willingly shell out 10 bucks for 4 maps that they will play a million times over. You can't say that the price is artificially inflated when the amount of units sold will absolutely fluctuate with a change in the price. Is anyone that is complaining about the price in this thread a hardcore CoD4 player?  More people (like those in this thread) would surely have purchased the map pack if it were only $5. Likewise, less would have purchased it if it were $15.

Now, if you get a hardcore CoD4'er in here to argue that the price is insane and he was held captive, I will concede defeat. :)

Quote from: Que
but while you guys go on and on and on forever about how it's a choice and if you don't like it, get the fuck out, etc., any time anyone brings this up, what you completely fail to understand is that trends like this are trends, and they will continue to increase in prominence as people support them.

Quote from: Ghandi, 13 replies back
Once devs realize they can get 10 bucks for 4 maps, it's only going to get more prevalent.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
My point is that you don't seem to understand what your last quote means (or probably more accurately, you just don't care).  Given the disparate gap between your spending habits and mine in relation to gaming, I suppose this is perfectly understandable.  However, it doesn't change the very negative reality of it.  Of course, neither does my bitching.  This is most likely going to happen whether we like it or not, because as Scott pointed out, we no longer matter.  The casual gamer who only looks at the biggest titles is going to dictate the way AAA games go in the future, which again makes me think I'm going to be moving further and further away from that sector into more niche stuff.  I couldn't even get behind Half-life 2.  That doesn't bode well for my future love of gaming blockbusters.  My game habits may end up mimicking my movie-watching habits more than I anticipate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
Yes, I don't understand half of what I write. Most of the time I just mash keys. :)

Edit for your edit: I think that the main thing that people can gather from this is that consoles are clearly dictating the market now. The argument that "it should be free because PC map packs are free" is no longer valid.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »
 You can argue all you like that eventually people won't think it's worth it and will stop supporting it, but that's pure conjecture, and frankly we've seen nothing but an increase in willingness to pay for this stuff.

I can agree with that, although a pretty definite line of what people will and will not pay for has been drawn in the sand with both GT5 and Battlefield Bad Company.  I will, however, point out that your argument in it's entirety is basically based on nothing but conjecture as well.  You all seem to assume that if people aren't willing to pay for extra content, you'll just get it for free anyways because you have on occasion in the past.   What makes you think they won't just move onto CoD5?

Look, it's pretty simple.  CoD4 came out like 5 months ago and now they're releasing 4 new maps for about $2.50 each.  If you like a game enough to still be playing it online and that's not too steep for you than fine.  Otherwise do without. I've said it before and I'll say it again; there's no injustice here and no one's being ripped off. $10 is nothing and if people want to drop that on a set of four new maps for a game they know they like instead of pay for roughly 1/5th of a new game you can do that.  No one's taking anything from you, and while it is a bit of a disturbing trend, people have drawn their lines and many are fine with having the option to drop some chump change for a little bit of extra content here and there. To assume that all of a sudden you're going to buying an empty disk is nothing more that an illegitimate slippery slope. Fuck, even if it did get to that point it's not like it's any skin off of your back; you walk away from that game.  Fight it by not buying into it, but all you're doing apart from that is complaining about how all of a sudden something you like got popular and nothing good has come of it (AKA being an elitist douche).  

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
I see the alarm more as an impotent lament than a call to action.  The trend is out of our hands, out of the hands of those who feel as we do, who have similar expectations.  What you and I do won't matter.  You can say that we're fighting it by not buying it, but all we're doing is going without.  The statistical significance of our actions is increasingly irrelevant.  To do without because we think it isn't worth it is fine.  To do without in order to make a statement is a waste of time.

There's no justice or injustice about it.  It is the free market in the hands of people who only care about money on one side, and people with no sense of value on the other.  Like persistent bad weather, there's nothing unfair about it, only depressing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
I will, however, point out that your argument in it's entirety is basically based on nothing but conjecture as well.  You all seem to assume that if people aren't willing to pay for extra content, you'll just get it for free anyways because you have on occasion in the past.   What makes you think they won't just move onto CoD5?

It isn't based merely on conjecture.  It's based on what I've seen people do in the past and what they're currently doing.  That isn't conjecture.  Sure, it doesn't mean there's a 100% chance that everything I say will come true, but it's more than pure speculation.  And I don't even care about getting extra content for free, necessarily.  What I'm saying is I'd rather get a complete package than half of one, which arguably is what we're getting now in some cases (though very few), but most assuredly what we'll be getting in the future if this business model proves popular.

To assume that all of a sudden you're going to buying an empty disk is nothing more that an illegitimate slippery slope.

Bullshit.  Why is it illegitimate just because you don't think it's going to happen?  It's already happened in some places.  The Asian markets, for example.  And even if they aren't completely empty disks, they're awfully close.  Granted not every market is as stupid as that one, but yes, it can happen.

Fuck, even if it did get to that point it's not like it's any skin off of your back; you walk away from that game.

Of course.  That doesn't make it any less of a disturbing trend, nor does it negate anything else that I've said.  Obviously I'm not going to support that kind of enterprise, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to say anything about it when it comes up in conversation.

Fight it by not buying into it, but all you're doing apart from that is complaining about how all of a sudden something you like got popular and nothing good has come of it (AKA being an elitist douche).

Well, that's not actually what I'm doing in the first place (I'm complaining that bad things are coming of it), and that isn't really being an elitist douche anyway.  It's what people do when they watch an industry with a group of people who also watch it: they talk about it and where it's going.  I don't see why you should find that elitist.  If it's simply the whole popularity thing, I hate to say it, but the more popular things get, the more they usually suck.  It's a cliche to say that a band is better before it gets big and sells a lot of records, but you know what?  90% of the time it's fucking true.  And if you don't agree, it's probably because you have no fucking taste.

But all in all, what Cobra said in his last statement there is exactly how I feel about it.  I'm not claiming injustice or unfairness, as people will pay what they're willing to, it's just depressing that people are willing to do so much of what they do.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »
I can agree that the whims of console gamers are dictating the gaming market now, but I don't know that it's an invalid argument entirely.  That's quite a statement.

The point of any business is to make a profit, and as games are harder to make due to their complexity and the market is sensitive to the price of games, publishers are looking for alternative revenue streams.

While paying for downloadable content has almost entirely failed on PCs, it seems very successful on consoles.

What can be said about this?  PC gamers are poorer?  PC gamers are tightwads?  Console gamers are completely stupid?  Truly, I don't know.

The only thing I do know is that it completely sucks.  What we're moving towards is a shift to multiplayer-only titles and micropayments for everything.  There seem to be three positions on this:  1)  The shift seen readily and cursed  2)  It's seen but there's a "that's the way it is" and "shut up PC gamers" attitude and  3)  Oblivious sheep that open their wallets for anything.

I don't know what can be done about it really.  Gaming is growing quickly.  Like movie and music studios, game publishers are searching for the magic model that makes the most money across the broadest possible market.  So I think it's clear by looking at the movie and music markets eventually the gaming market is going to be the same, if it isn't already.  Lots and lots of drivel that's eaten up in droves, with the occasional gem released by the big houses, but almost everything truly good coming from relative unknowns.

It's inevitable and all we can do is support those truly good games and not do any of the micropayment stuff.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »
I was excited for Lumines Live when it came out on XBLA.  I purchased it only to find that the 'complete' game that had been advertised wasn't complete in the slightest.  Coming from someone who loved the game on PSP (and was very much looking forward to the XBLA version), I was noticeably angry and frustrated.  I ended up buying the "expansions" to make the game whole.  In the end, I spent about as much as I would on a standalone release for a console.  I could have said "fuck it", cut my losses, and walked away.  But I didn't.  Obviously because it had some intrinsic value to me, the game ended up being worth it even though the method of delivery pissed me off to no end (enough to warrant a long email to Q entertainment).  Lots more people bitched and complained, and in the end extra packs were offered at a discount presumably to 'make up' for the tactless release.  The only reason I was upset to begin with was because Lumines Live had been *advertised* as a whole game.  If I had known going into it what I was going to get with my initial investment I would have had zero room to bitch.

I think a lot of you are failing to consider the fact that DLC is a relatively new concept console-side.  Sure, there were a few isolated instances of it on the original Xbox system, but for the most part it didn't exist until the 360 was released.  This means that if CoD4 had come out last generation, it most likely would not have had any sort of downloadable content.  This also means that if it were last gen we probably would not have seen any of these 4 maps.  The people interested in a map pack for CoD4 six months down the road are probably the same people who have been playing the shit out of it for those six months.  They'll gladly pay the 10 bucks and continue playing, because it has intrinsic worth to them.  I'm on the fence about buying them.  I loved both Gears and Halo 3, but I waited until the downloadable content became free on both.  I made the choice to wait.  I obviously felt it wasn't worth paying the money to have them now when I could wait 3-5 months and have them for free.  I love CoD4, and I'm on the fence about purchasing the map pack. Mainly because I don't play it online nearly as much as I used to.  I have other games that I've already purchased that need my attention.  (same reason why I haven't purchased Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine for Oblivion). 

I don't understand the woe is me bullshit when it comes to the topic of DLC.  If you don't feel the content is worth the money, don't buy it.  If you're bitching because you have to pay 5-10 dollars for content, then obviously the content in question has some value to you for bitching about it to begin with.  So hey, make the choice.  Either you want it or you don't.  If you're afraid that the current climate of DLC is fostering in a new age of gaming, well then you'd be absolutely right.  DLC is going to become more and more prevalent.  Digital Distribution is making it even easier.  But you know what?  You'll still have a choice then too.  Don't get the idea that game developers/companies used to care about you, because they don't.  We have never mattered to them.  All that has ever mattered is our money.  And they are always going to be looking for more ways to take it.  That’s business.  But you can walk away.  If a game’s method of distribution doesn’t cater to your wants and needs then walk away and get another game.  God knows there are plenty to choose from.

The bottom line is that I don't feel inclined to buy DLC to essentially "complete" a game.  I will however drop cash on what I feel are extras (which CoD maps would qualify as, considering the game shipped with 16 maps).  The bottom line is that I have a choice, and I exercise that choice regularly.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »
It isn't based merely on conjecture.  It's based on what I've seen people do in the past and what they're currently doing.  That isn't conjecture.  Sure, it doesn't mean there's a 100% chance that everything I say will come true, but it's more than pure speculation. 

And by the same token, arguing that there's a line where people will no longer be willing to pay isn't conjecture either.

Bullshit.  Why is it illegitimate just because you don't think it's going to happen?  It's already happened in some places.  The Asian markets, for example.  And even if they aren't completely empty disks, they're awfully close.  Granted not every market is as stupid as that one, but yes, it can happen.

No, it's illegitimate for two reasons; the first being that there are examples where people haven't stood for it and the company has changed their mind and second because you're making a huge leap from people paying $10 for content created 5 months after the game was released to a situation where you're constantly forced to drop $60 on a game and then pay another bill just to make it playable or 'worth it'.  That argument basically leaps from premise to conclusion without taking into account how unrealistic it is to get there and ignores the very valid middle point of buying a game because you think it's worth it in the first place and then later deciding that you're willing to drop some more money on it because you enjoy it.

I don't see why you should find that elitist.  If it's simply the whole popularity thing, I hate to say it, but the more popular things get, the more they usually suck.  It's a cliche to say that a band is better before it gets big and sells a lot of records, but you know what?  90% of the time it's fucking true.  And if you don't agree, it's probably because you have no fucking taste.

Where I percieve the elitist attitude coming in is where you start claiming people are idiots because they're dropping down $10 (again, nothing) on four mp maps they think they'll enjoy.  While you might not believe it would be worth it for you to do so, who's to say you're any less of an idiot for dropping money on an xbox360 or PS3 when you know they'll be cheaper in a year, or for spending so much money on games in general.  You have to take into account most people don't actually care about videogames.   It's something they do instead of watching television or reading a book and it's totally not a lifestyle.  $10 to extend the play of a single game anther month or $60 to go down to the store and buy an entirely new game you might be bored of in the same amount of time?  

The makers of CoD tried to sell maps for $2.50 and it worked out for them.  Generally everyone was happy.  Sony tried to sell GTHD as an empty disk and an engine and people didn't stand for it. Chances are things will end up somewhere in the middle with games being released and then supported for a few months after.  People are already starting to check into it and find out if unlocked content is on the disk or not and that level of awareness is a good sign for the future.

As for the music, I've heard the bands you listen to and I don't think you should really bring taste into this  ;)

But to be honest, I probably came off sounding a bit too harsh in the last post and that's my fault.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
I don't understand the woe is me bullshit when it comes to the topic of DLC.  If you don't feel the content is worth the money, don't buy it.  If you're bitching because you have to pay 5-10 dollars for content, then obviously the content in question has some value to you for bitching about it to begin with.  So hey, make the choice.  Either you want it or you don't.  If you're afraid that the current climate of DLC is fostering in a new age of gaming, well then you'd be absolutely right.  DLC is going to become more and more prevalent.  Digital Distribution is making it even easier.  But you know what?  You'll still have a choice then too.  Don't get the idea that game developers/companies used to care about you, because they don't.  We have never mattered to them.  All that has ever mattered is our money.  And they are always going to be looking for more ways to take it.  That’s business.  But you can walk away.  If a game’s method of distribution doesn’t cater to your wants and needs then walk away and get another game.  God knows there are plenty to choose from.
There's something you're glossing over here.  Now I can't speak from a console perspective because I don't know how game servers work in that realm.

But in the PC realm, official map packs are very quickly integrated in the running game servers.  Many of course cycle through all the maps, old and new.  If you don't have one of the newer maps you either get kicked off when it comes up or it auto-downloads.  In some games it works a little differently but I'm not going to flesh them all out because the end result is generally the same with all of them.

So if the maps are for-pay, auto-download of course isn't going to be an option, at least not the way things are designed today.  You're kicked off and that's that.

So now you have a game you've been frequently playing for months and you frequently get disconnected from servers or have a small selection of servers to choose from where once you used to have the full range.

It's not a situation where you got what you had always and just simply aren't getting something extra.  The experience has changed in a negative way for you.

Edit:  Grammar.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 02:20:06 PM by scottws »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »
You do have a point there, but to be honest it happens with user made content as well.  I've been kicked/bailed out of a hell of a lot of servers when the map switched over to some user made one I didn't have.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »
Quote from: gpw11
And by the same token, arguing that there's a line where people will no longer be willing to pay isn't conjecture either.

Obviously there will also be a line where people aren't willing to pay.  I simply believe that line will be much further out than is reasonable for many aforementioned reasons.  Saying that people will suddenly stop at a reasonable distance is, in my estimation, kind of a unworthy assumption.

No, it's illegitimate for two reasons; the first being that there are examples where people haven't stood for it and the company has changed their mind and second because you're making a huge leap from people paying $10 for content created 5 months after the game was released to a situation where you're constantly forced to drop $60 on a game and then pay another bill just to make it playable or 'worth it'.  That argument basically leaps from premise to conclusion without taking into account how unrealistic it is to get there and ignores the very valid middle point of buying a game because you think it's worth it in the first place and then later deciding that you're willing to drop some more money on it because you enjoy it.

We're *talking* about leaps from one extreme to the other.  I'm not saying I think this will happen within two days, or that middle ground will simply cease to exist, or that there won't be any other options available to players who don't want to pay extra money; I'm saying I think it's going to be a very prominent model in the future that I and a lot of other people will want no part of.  I'm not even saying it's an unnatural flow of the market, I'm just saying I think it's going to happen and when it does I won't like it.  Of course I believe in the valid middle point of buying a game because it's worth it then later dropping a few more bucks to get new stuff.  It's called an expansion pack and has been done for years, and now those expansions are coming in smaller drops over long periods of time.  The difference is I don't like the way that works either in timeframe or having to spend small fractions of money over and over again, I don't like games being split up just so more content can be sold at a higher cost, and that I think a lot of DLC is a bad value and will get to be an even worse value moving forward as publishers realize how much people are willing to pay.  I'm not ignoring anything, I think you're just arguing semantics.

Where I percieve the elitist attitude coming in is where you start claiming people are idiots because they're dropping down $10 (again, nothing) on four mp maps they think they'll enjoy.

Well, keep in mind I never even stated that I think $10 for 4 maps makes anyone an idiot.  Personally I think it's stupid and way too expensive, but as I said in that very same post, I come from the background of FPS maps costing nothing and being completely awesome as well as in large quantity.  But the Quake 2 days these aren't, in part due to the technology increase where it's hard to make great maps that look as good as the stuff a developer releases, so... yeah.  My retyped quote from Ghandi before was just to be funny.  Don't mistake my doomsday prophecies for being a commentary on current stuff.  I don't think we're there yet, I just think supporting efforts like this will lead us there much more quickly than people seem to think.

And I don't think $10 is nothing.  Sure, for one game it isn't much, but what happens when you buy 5 games that all have DLC you want and you have to spend more than the price of another game to get all that stuff?  This is the problem.  People like me want a complete game experience, but we also buy a lot of games.  People like you don't buy that many, and chances are you won't buy DLC even if it's available for the games you do buy.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't seem to play many PC games (I think you've said you have an aging rig), and you don't own a 360, Wii, or PS3 that I'm aware of, which means you've never really even had the opportunity to buy DLC (or play a game where you could easily see that the DLC should have been included with the game in the first place).

The makers of CoD tried to sell maps for $2.50 and it worked out for them.  Generally everyone was happy.  Sony tried to sell GTHD as an empty disk and an engine and people didn't stand for it. Chances are things will end up somewhere in the middle with games being released and then supported for a few months after.  People are already starting to check into it and find out if unlocked content is on the disk or not and that level of awareness is a good sign for the future.

But Sony might be able to sell something along the lines of GTHD later on with less resistance as people become more accepting of this type of thing, no?  Now you're ignoring the middle ground.  We already know this is the route a publisher will go if at all possible since it equals the most profit, so the more resistance they can melt to stuff like that, the closer they'll get to the end ideal.  That's done gradually, and with more power in the hands of publishers than ever before, expect them to try and gradually do it using their entire roster of IP, pressuring developers into making content based on this model whenever physically possible.

But to be honest, I probably came off sounding a bit too harsh in the last post and that's my fault.

Nah.  I just enjoy discussing all this because it's an industry that I find interesting and have been involved with for a long time.  I'm not one of those people who'll act personally insulted just because you don't agree with my perceived outcome of a certain business practice.

Quote from: K-MaN
I don't understand the woe is me bullshit when it comes to the topic of DLC.  If you don't feel the content is worth the money, don't buy it.  If you're bitching because you have to pay 5-10 dollars for content, then obviously the content in question has some value to you for bitching about it to begin with.

I'm not bitching about having to pay anything.  I don't even own CoD4, so what the hell do I care?  I'm just talking about the general trends, not a specific product.  The topic simply came up due to CoD4 and its extra content.  And why is it wrong for somebody to bitch about having to pay through the nose for something they want?  Again, I'm not talking about a specific example here, but what you're saying is that nobody has the right to want something yet feel the price point is too high.  If horse armor had been free, people would have downloaded and enjoyed it just because it was something fun, but charging for it everyone bitched because it was too expensive, not because horse armor had no value.  It was a nice addition, nobody wanted to pay that price, and they had the right to bitch about it.  The bitching is what let Bethesda get a feel for what Oblivion players were willing to pay for.  Along the same lines:

I was excited for Lumines Live when it came out on XBLA.  I purchased it only to find that the 'complete' game that had been advertised wasn't complete in the slightest.  Coming from someone who loved the game on PSP (and was very much looking forward to the XBLA version), I was noticeably angry and frustrated.  I ended up buying the "expansions" to make the game whole.  In the end, I spent about as much as I would on a standalone release for a console.  I could have said "fuck it", cut my losses, and walked away.  But I didn't.  Obviously because it had some intrinsic value to me, the game ended up being worth it even though the method of delivery pissed me off to no end (enough to warrant a long email to Q entertainment).  Lots more people bitched and complained, and in the end extra packs were offered at a discount presumably to 'make up' for the tactless release.  The only reason I was upset to begin with was because Lumines Live had been *advertised* as a whole game.  If I had known going into it what I was going to get with my initial investment I would have had zero room to bitch.

You still would have had every right to bitch even if the stuff was properly advertised yet at a price you thought was too high.  What if they wanted a total of $80 for all that stuff?  Would you say, "Oh, they can charge whatever they want if people are willing to pay, blah blah blah?"  Probably not.  You'd say, "What the fuck, why is it $80?  I wanted it, but there's no way I'm paying that price."  And then you'd feel sad because you wouldn't have the thing you wanted.  Obviously that wouldn't happen because they know people wouldn't pay that much, but my point is that just because there's interest and someone doesn't think it's worth the price doesn't mean they can't complain.  If enough people are willing to pay and the company makes a profit it's happy about then yeah, that guy who doesn't want to pay is fucked and his bitching won't do any good, but that doesn't necessarily make his point invalid.  Generally there is a consensus on this stuff, but when it comes to new markets like this there may not be, particularly when you're moving from an old model to a new one and the new one offers less dollar value than the old one.  Then you've got old guys that remember the good old days and think the new kids are dipshits for accepting the changes.

Don't get the idea that game developers/companies used to care about you, because they don't.  We have never mattered to them.  All that has ever mattered is our money.

Wrong.  You seem to have this assumption that just because someone is in business means there is no other consideration than to make the most money possible.  So what, all ethical considerations are completely moot in the face of capitalism?  Obviously a business needs to make money because that's the foundational principle on which it exists.  We all need money to survive.  Fine.  That doesn't mean there aren't companies who act nice to their customers because they feel that strongarming people into paying money isn't the better option, and they'll increase their business revenues by offering people more for their money, thereby leaching more customers from the competition. Why do you think monopolies are bad?  It means companies don't have to be nice or offer a good price.  They can do whatever the fuck they want you can't do anything about it.  Developers used to offer all kinds of bonuses to gamers because they thought offering them cool additions to the game for free would get more people to buy their game and future games because of reputation.  I had a friend who bought Sacrifice because patch 3 had all kinds of neat shit bundled in with it.  I know people who bought some of the old Epic games because of the free bonus packs.  Of course Shiny and Epic wanted our money, but there was a respect for the consumer that they thought would benefit everyone, including themselves by building a loyal customer base.  I bought games from developers who had treated me well in the past very frequently, avoiding products from guys who seemed stingy or weren't as interested in community.  Development houses used to very regularly care about their customers and many still do, making decisions that reflect their desire for their communities to grow.  Not giving a shit is a much newer trend, and has much to do with giant publishers buying up all the individuals and putting leadership into the hands of a very powerful few.  Yeah, business is business and everyone wants to make money, but I don't believe that means quite what you imply.

EDIT - I seem to have mixed up some quotes.  Should be right now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 04:39:15 PM »
I'm not ignoring anything, I think you're just arguing semantics

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't seem to play many PC games (I think you've said you have an aging rig), and you don't own a 360, Wii, or PS3 that I'm aware of, which means you've never really even had the opportunity to buy DLC (or play a game where you could easily see that the DLC should have been included with the game in the first place).

Well, I have a pretty new PC and had a 360 and Wii for a while (technically they were my roomate's), but generally you're correct.  I can't think of a time I've bought anything that could even be considered close to DLC, nor have I ever bought anything even remotely close to an expansion pack ever.  I guess the closest would be when I bought the Darwina/Uplink/Defcom package off of steam (huge letdown by the way).  So, you're pretty much right about how I haven't come across something that should have been in the game in the first place, but that doesn't really mean I haven't followed it.  I don't really, however, see all that much difference between holding out content for DLC and holding out content for expansion packs.

But Sony might be able to sell something along the lines of GTHD later on with less resistance as people become more accepting of this type of thing, no?  Now you're ignoring the middle ground.

While that is true, there's no point arguing it at all.  We could also assume that consoles could work like cellphone contracts in the future where you pay for service on top of the hardware just because people will be more accepting of it after they get used to other similair delivery systems.  No, that doesn't really make sense....but it could....in the future...and it will suck.  I'm not ignoring the middle ground above, I'm saying I have no reason to think it will slip that far because people are already not letting it and as far as consumer mindset goes, it's rare that people start willingly giving things they're used to up.  DLC works better on consoles because they never had the free map pack option before.  It doesn't bomb on PCs because PC gamers are smarter or more financially aware (probably the exact opposite actualy), but because PC gamers are far more hesitant to pay for something they know they used to get for free.  There's a large differnce between releasing a game a few maps short and releasing a game you literally can't play until you start putting more money into it (cough mmorpgs are gay).  Or, that's my theory anyways.