Author Topic: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade  (Read 10638 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
« on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 11:49:04 AM »
Just a reminder folks. The Dawn of War expansion comes out this week and it's going to be $25 at Best Buy. It doesn't get much better than that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 01:09:39 PM »
Just a reminder folks. The Dawn of War expansion comes out this week and it's going to be $25 at Best Buy. It doesn't get much better than that.

This one DOESN'T require the original Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War to play, correct?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
Nope, it can be stand alone as far as Ive seen. But if you do have the other games you get new units and junk for ALL the races.

Man...why did my computer have to mess up now?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 01:44:56 PM »
As far as I undestand, it's partially stand alone like Idol said. If you don't have the other games you can't play the old races in multiplayer or something like that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »
And if you don't already own the original game + exp pack, you're an idiot who deserves to burn in eternal fury.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 04:34:11 PM »
And if you don't already own the original game + exp pack, you're an idiot who deserves to burn in eternal fury.

Ouch, Que......that fury's hot.... :(

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:32:10 PM »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 08:27:51 PM »
That's not bad. It's only a .1 less than they give the original game. For an expansion years after the fact, that's downright high. I bet the new games we'll have against eachother will be awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 08:39:31 PM »
I absolutely can't wait.  It's going to be great.  I really like the idea of the new SP campaign... that's the kind of campaign I can really get into.  I gotta' hurry my ass up and finish the other campaigns now.  Arg.

The problem with that is I lost all my saves from before.  =(  I kinda' forgot to back them up.

EDIT - Games Radar has reviewed it as well.  It's extremely positive, with very few negatives overall, and an overall score of 9.  Good shit.

Right now, developer Relic is the veritable schoolyard bully of strategy gaming - stealing lunch money and handing out wedgies to all challengers to its towering Dawn of War franchise and its recent strategy triumph, Company of Heroes.

A bully perhaps, but an incredibly generous one - Dark Crusade is standalone, and doesn't require the original Dawn of War to play. You may lead any one of the seven races in the thrilling single player campaign, and add the Tau and Necron to your lineup for multiplayer beat downs. Dark Crusade is an enormous amount of top-drawer content for $29.99, and newcomers may rightly mistake it for a full blown sequel. Highly recommended.

EDIT x2 - And to get us in the mood, here's a cool Nightbringer someone painted.  These are why I almost want to play Necrons tabletop.  Freaking sweet.  And here's a kickass drawing.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:03:00 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:04:07 PM »
Seeing that Im totally and hopelessly lost in the Warhammer 40k universe now, it is my duty to the emperor to pick this up or else my gene seed will be exterminated followed by a permanent excommunication.

Oh and this goes for everyone who doesnt play with us.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:26:47 PM »
The man speaks the truth.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:37:17 PM »
So...if I pick up the expansion and don't have the original, can I still play with you guys who have both?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »
I don't know whether or not you'll be able to play people using the other races?  My guess is you can do everything, you just can't use anything other than Tau or Necron armies.  Because it said there will be multiplayer for the expansion even if standalone, didn't it?  I can't remember if it did.  I think it did.  And since you can already play *against* the other races in the expansion, you could probably play against other people who were using those races.  Maybe not, though.  It might have a whole separate thing if all you have installed is the expansion.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:58:21 PM »
I'm not sure.

If you want to go all out, you can get the gold edition of the original game and come out with the whole package for basically $50 (maybe $55 before tax). All things considered, there are far worse gaming deals out there.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 11:28:43 PM »
I'm not sure.

If you want to go all out, you can get the gold edition of the original game and come out with the whole package for basically $50 (maybe $55 before tax). All things considered, there are far worse gaming deals out there.

Yeah, according to Best Buy the gold edition is on sale for $24.99, and so is Dark Crusade.  That's one hell of a deal.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 04:15:03 PM »
That is, of course, if they actually manage to get the game today. As what's almost the norm, Best Buy didn't make the date on the expansion. They do this a lot with PC games. Thankfully I managed to find the game somewhere, but it took me a few tries. Apparently a lot of the smaller stores (EB/Gamestop) only got a handful of copies each.

If you don't want to pay more to get it sooner, don't forget about price matching if other big places get it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 04:28:35 PM »
Is $25 a special deal this week or is that the MSRP?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 04:38:04 PM »
MSRP is $30, so it's just a deal this week.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 04:50:31 PM »
Thought you guys might be interested some Dark Crusade posters the guy from 8 Bit Theater made, they could be used as wallpapers maybe:

They are all on the front page

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »
Those are boss.

And yeah, my place didn't have a copy, so I'm fucked.  I have nowhere to go because I don't have a car.  I'm really, really sad right now.

EDIT - Sy, you sure they didn't have any?  The website lists them as being available at Pinole and Emeryville.  If that's the case, I'm going later.

EDIT x2 - GSpot likes the game too.  Heh.

The Good: Features two great new playable factions that fit in well with the five others; exciting new strategic campaign offers plenty of lasting value and variety; excellent presentation quality makes for some most brutal battles; the original game isn't required to play and enjoy this expansion.

The Bad: A distinct lack of Tyranids.

Despite just being positive, it also confirms that yes, you can play against any other person even if you only have the expansion, and you can also use all the various races in single player!  You just can't use the other races in multi.  All things considered, that's pretty amazing.  They give you an awful lot of options for an expansion.  I honestly can't think of one this good in years.  It's more or less its own game.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 07:23:41 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 07:54:10 PM »
Best Buy Emeryville didn't have them when I was there at like 2PM. I check on their website with one of the demo computers and that was the case then as well.

And was your place the Gamestop in El Cerrito plaza? I may have taken your copy...

Anywho. I've put a few hours into the single player game as the Necrons... they freaking rock. They tend to be slow as hell, but they have a hell of a punch and can take a beating. Fighting against them is going to be a pretty scary task when we start to go multiplayer.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:29:18 PM »
Damn, I was hoping to play with you guys without paying for all of it  :P

I was looking at getting Company of Heroes, but this might run better on my laptop anyways. Maybe I will splurge.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:46:34 PM »
You can play with us.  Didn't I just say that?  =)  You can play against anyone, your only limitation is that you have to use the Tau or Necron armies.  But in the single player you can actually use *all* the armies, which is crazy.  So yes, you can play with us for like 25 bucks.  That's awesome.

EDIT - Oh and yeah, Sy, that's my place.  They said they only had enough to fill preorders.  I guess they lied.  Anyway, I got it at Best Buy Pinole tonight at like 8:30.  Haven't installed it yet because I had to run errands for Julia.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:51:32 PM »
Ahh cool. I was under the impression that I couldn't see the races at all. But anyways, I think that I'm going to pick this one up tomorrow. Anyone up for a game tomorrow night?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:58:22 PM »
We're always up for a game.  Always.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 10:05:25 PM »
I'll try grab it soon.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 11:30:50 PM »
I went to Walmart because I had to grab somethings, I checked out the game section and they didnt have it, boo. Tomorrow I shall make some phone calls.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 12:04:23 AM »
Holy hell.  Yeah, the Necron are completely insane.  I started a campaign with them and just did a first strike... and I was only sorta' paying half attention and I completely slaughtered the enemy without a second thought.  Initially they had me on the ropes because I didn't know what I was doing, but once the train gets rolling, those guys are nearly unstoppable.  I had 2 warrior squads (like the most basic unit), a pariah squad, and 2 flayer squads, and I don't think any of them got below like 5 or 6 units the whole game.  Even when other stuff died (those wraiths are nearly useless they die so fast), they just kept going and going.  It was amazing.  And once I got the monolith mobile and sent it along with them... holy crap.  I nearly crapped myself.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 12:42:32 AM »
Damnit to hell, if I dont have it tomorrow someone will die.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 01:10:02 AM »
I had some great destruction screens, but apparently prntscrn doesn't do it.  That just let me copy the last one into PS.  Anybody remember what the screenshot command is?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 05:37:22 AM »
I'll wait until it goes on sale at Gogamer.com.  I don't really expect it to be one of those titles that will hold its original price very long.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 10:25:14 AM »
I nabbed the last copy at EB, we must play tonight.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 10:44:33 AM »
I'm about to go to EB here, I'm gonna raise heck if they don't have it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 11:07:36 AM »
Great, I finally get DoW: Gold and now everyone is going to have this...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 11:09:08 AM »
Scott raises a good point - can people without the expansion play with people who have it?  And just not use the new races?  Try a game with us tonight, scott, and let's see.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 11:20:43 AM »
You can probably have DC installed and load up just up to WA. Just like if you had WA installed and could still play people without it. Just...no one can use the new races since the people without the expansion dont have any of the models and stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 12:56:42 PM »
This thing is so much fun.  I'm really liking the whole persistent campaign thing.  It's really fun and gives you a lot more of a sense of accomplishment and identity.  The downside is that so far it's been really, really easy.  Defense is pretty much... instant death for the offense.  It would probably be somewhat less so with other races, but with Necrons... forget it.  Having your whole base already setup in a given province means that you can just pump out units like no tomorrow without having to worry about whether or not anybody is even in town when the attack commences.  The Imperial Guard just tried to manhandle me in a sector where I had nothing but buildings, but since the base was already built, they couldn't even get to me before I'd built my main hero unit, researched half the upgrades, and plopped down a few flayer squads.  So I ended up, more or less, rushing *them*.  There were 2 CPU IG opponents working in tandem, and they at least put up a fight towards the beginning, but it didn't take long for me to become my usual unstoppable Necron force, so then I just ran around the map putting them down.  I even managed to get the monolith up and running for the assault on the 2nd base, which lasted about 20 seconds with all my guys heading in and my monolith raining green fire.  I did lose my honor guard early on, but otherwise I didn't lose a single unit.  In fact, none of them got below 4 guys at once.  I didn't even have to use my ressurection ability at all.

So yeah... you guys are going to want to play on hard, I think.  Normal is way too easy so far.  Part of that is the Necron method, but yeah... I think hard is the best bet.  Though I haven't yet assaulted a main province yet, and I'm sure those are a bit tougher.

Anyway, screens.  Sorry about the shitty quality.  Apparently FRAPS is not the best for JPEG stuff.  Oh, and the forum resizes everything, so if you want 1280x1024 shots, right-click and hit "view image" (or whatevever other method you prefer).  These look pretty wonky resized.  It isn't the game's fault.

Here's the reinforcement screen.

This is your commander screen, where you can buy upgrades and check out his honor guard units that follow him around from fight to fight.

These are the Necron worker units.  They're building a plasma generator, which is the only Necron resource.

Some early-game ass kicking.

These guys shrug off rockets and grenades like they were BB pellets.

Monolith is en route (I have some great pictures of it shelling things from here... the explosion fills the whole screen) and flayers are getting burned by IG incendiary missiles.  Unfortunately for the IG, the flayers don't really care.

Oh, fuck it.  I have to put up the Monolith going apeshit.  So, kids, remember -- this is what happens when you piss off a Necron.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 01:04:11 PM »
Damn, that looks nice. I went to Gamestop and Wallmart and neither had it. Damn it all to hell. Those screens just make me want it more.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 01:11:34 PM »
My Best Buy had a ton of units in stock, and Gamestops around here are always a bad choice because they don't stock PC games much.  I don't know about Walmart, but I'd imagine it's the same there.  Try using the online search things that websites have these days so you can check stock.  I'm sure somebody has it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 01:21:12 PM »
Damn thats badass. Though im not surprised of it being easy, the original game campaign was the same way. Though I'm gonna be playing through Winter Assault first. But I'll still be happy to play multiplayer.