Author Topic: OMG! A New iPhone!  (Read 8941 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
OMG! A New iPhone!
« on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 08:31:57 PM »
Now lets all just suck Apple's dick a little harder like good techies.

Offline JacksRag(e)

Re: OMG! A New iPhone!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
Got the iPhone for free basically when i got a new contract.  After a month, I gave it to my dad.  I'm happy with my nokia, thankyewverymuch.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »
The chick who sits beside me in one of my classes plays on her shitty iphone all day.  Look, the ipod touch is kind of cool if you don't keep your mp3 player in your pocket and need tactile buttons, but the whole iphone craze is a bit beyond me.  It's alright, but not really the second coming people make it out to be.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »
I have one of those old monochrome Nokia phones from the 5 years ago or so. Just when phones started to not be massive but still stripped down in features. It's awesome simply because the thing doesn't break. That's pretty much all I need from a phone. As long as it makes calls and doesn't break I'm happy.

I would upgrade it for a phone with a gps though. Just because having a gps system is cool.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »
Yeah, that's basically what I buy my phones for; the non-breaking potential.   I generally upgrade when I can get a free Samsung (their standard clamshell phones are rock solid...don't know about the new Razr-like ones), and I put those mother fuckers through their paces.  You should see some of the phones I've had at the end of their lifespans.

Features aren't really an issue for the most part.  Google maps/ a gps would be usefull though and I've actually found that having some sort of camera on you at all times is usefull for me for work purposes.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 11:37:31 PM »
I still love this.

"shit-chucking ape" gets me every time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 11:56:38 PM »
When the iPhone was first announced, CEO Steve Jobs spewed enough BS to cover a football field full of babies 3 feet deep in bullshit, which sounds cool because he could have potentially murdered a football field full of babies, but he passed on this opportunity by introducing the phone instead.

;D

Why the hell didn't somebody show me this earlier?  It was like he wrote it for me.

EDIT - Actually, the latter half seems familiar.  I wonder why the first half doesn't.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »
It's a really cool piece of technology - maybe not worth the current cost, but once the new model rolls out it will be $199 for the 8gb model, which will work on any network (I think it will work on all networks). Even if you hate Apple, you have to admit that it's a really innovative device.

Edit: That first sentence didn't really make sense, but I promise it was supposed to somehow.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 10:44:36 PM by Ghandi »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 09:57:04 PM »
No I don't.  What's innovative about it?  It has a touch screen.  Yay.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 10:35:05 PM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 07:43:20 AM »
No I don't.  What's innovative about it?  It has a touch screen.  Yay.
The touchscreen isn't the innovation.  It's how the touchscreen is used. 

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 02:27:41 PM »
It's one of those things that you'll understand when you use. Just reading about with no reference won't get you excited. A phone with a touchscreen and internet. woohoo.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
See. Ren is a true believer. Allow him to show us how to suck.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 04:05:26 PM »
$199?  Well, regardless of who sucks now and who doesn't, the initial buyers need rectal exams.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
See. Ren is a true believer. Allow him to show us how to suck.

Hah, I'd still never get one unless I had a cell phone contract which gave it to me for free. I just think it's nifty.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »
Yeah don't get me wrong - you'd have to be a little nuts to pay for one at what they are now. Aren't they 500 bucks or something?

But I got an iPod touch as a gift and it's one of the cooler pieces of technology that I've seen in years. You can't really knock it until you've tried it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 07:18:21 PM »
Watch me.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »
hay guyz whuts going on in here?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »
Ghandi was just saying how much he loves the slant-eyed.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:49:19 PM »
Ghandi, you are dead to me
Que has taken your place as my right hand man.

Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 09:15:08 PM »
keebs is left-handed?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
Watch me.

I'm watching you try to bash it. I have a sneaking suspicion that you are focused a little more on the little Apple logo on the back of it rather than the technology itself.

Ghandi, you are dead to me
Que has taken your place as my right hand man.

Then you have made your decision. Que may have given away the fact that I was an inside man, but that only slows us down slightly. The slant-eyed are going to rule us all eventually. Better to join their ranks now.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »
Very well. Next time we meet shall be on the FIELD OF BATTLE.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
And by that you mean WoW right?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »
Don't be foolish. Of course not.
I meant
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:20:32 PM »
You've just dug your own grave. Don't bother bringing Que along, he'll just get caught up in the crossfire like always.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:22:44 PM »
Yeah don't get me wrong - you'd have to be a little nuts to pay for one at what they are now. Aren't they 500 bucks or something?

But I got an iPod touch as a gift and it's one of the cooler pieces of technology that I've seen in years. You can't really knock it until you've tried it.

I'll get on board with that; the iPod Touch is pretty damn sweet.  I'd be sold on it if I didn't demand drag and drop file loading, straight DivX support, some form of tactile controls, and didn't beat the shit out of my players so much. Everything else about it is just plain awesome.

I have full respect for it, but that doesn't completely carry over to the iPhone, which is still way over-hyped as far as I'm concerned.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 02:03:58 AM »
Don't be foolish. Of course not.
I meant

Really? I always pictured you dying in an epic LARP battle.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 02:41:56 AM »

i've always pictured your mom dying in an epic LARP battle
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 02:49:15 AM »

What the bloody hell was that?!

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »
That was the 1992 US Presidential debate. What did it look like?

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
I lost my old phone a few weeks ago and am contemplating selling out and getting this. I wouldn't use the actual phone part much but all the other features seem quite handy.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »
I heard when you go buy one you have a choice between getting on your knees and opening wide or dropping your pants and bending over.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »
Allow me to be the first person to call you a sucker, provided someone hasn't already.  Less features and functionality for more money... always a good decision.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
Wait, less features and functionality than what? It seems like the best way to combine a cell phone, mp3 player and mobile internet. I'd be perfectly happy buying something that's not an iphone if it's better or comparable for cheaper. I already feel dirty for thinking of buying something so trendy.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »
Perhaps consider a Curve or something where you're not actually going to get raped on the data plan.  That lacks the MP3 player aspect though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
Sorry, I was kind of  assuming you weren't already locked into Rogers. If you are, I don't know what your options are but the closest thing we have to the iPhone for what you're looking for (just casual kicking it around kind of stuff, nothing business related or anything like that) is the HTC touch diamond.  All I really know about it is that it's basically the main contender for the iPhone, with slightly more features, but I think the navigation isn't as good or something.  No idea.

Beyond that, there really isn't much competition if you're set on a good media player interface, don't care about it being a completely closed system, and are just using it for entertainment purposes. For work and straight up communicating, the Curve is what you'd probably want to be looking for, with the PEARL being an option if you want something smaller.

If you just want internet access, I'd say go for a PEARL and an Ipod Touch.  They kind of play off each other, since I don't think the PEARL has wifi, but the data plan will be a lot cheaper and the thing is practically free.  I should point out that I'm a bit biased here though because I hate the idea of sharing a battery between my phone and multimedia player.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
If you just want internet access, I'd say go for a PEARL and an Ipod Touch.  They kind of play off each other, since I don't think the PEARL has wifi, but the data plan will be a lot cheaper and the thing is practically free.
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=BlackBerry%C2%AE+Pearl+8120&q_sku=sku1250094

What's the deal with the new iPhone anyway?  What I mean is, I was at a buffalo wings place today and they had one of the TVs on CNN and they were talking about the iPhone.  The little box at the bottom said "New iPhone release marred by technical issues."  What's that about?

EditWow, sounds like a pretty horrible experience all around.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 09:08:56 PM by scottws »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »
While I think the iPhone isn't a bad piece of technology, what pisses me off is what Rogers (Canada's only GSM network) is doing.  It's only available with a 3 year contract and a data plan for $30 a month, and a voice plan (min. $20) plus a system access fee.  that's $56.95 a month minimum for 3 years, plus the phone's $199 up front charge.  I do not want to be leashed to a 3 year contract, and as such, I won't be getting this phone.  Canada needs some competition in the cell phone market, it's basically controlled by 3 vendors, 2 of which are CDMA, and one is GSM.  Since the world uses GSM, GSM is prevalent and Rogers has no competition.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »
Rollouts to other countries were slow, as Apple tried to get carriers on board with its unusual pricing scheme, which included monthly fees to Apple.

That's what Scott's article mentions and it makes me wonder if Rogers is paying a fee to Apple.  Honestly, the shit that company gets away with because of good design amazes me.