Author Topic: Limbo of the Lost: the game of massive stealing  (Read 1858 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Limbo of the Lost: the game of massive stealing
« on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »
Thread on neogaf.

Point and click adventure. This game was released, and apparently even has a retail release in other countries. Well, they stole from other games. A lot of other games. And its obvious. Like screenshots right out of Oblivion and stuff.

So far the list of stolen stuff comes from Oblivion, Morrowind, Unreal Tournament 2004, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Rune, Diablo 2, Silent Hill, Vampire: Bloodlines, Painkiller, Black & White 2...and thats not all! The trailer for the game has bits taken from Crysis, the Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and the Spawn movie!

Insane. The publisher of the game was apparently not aware of this and has since stopped publishing the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Limbo of the Lost: the game of massive stealing
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 07:14:32 AM »
Is it wrong that I now completely want a copy of this?

EDIT - Wow.  This is just... strange.  Really strange.

Also, brilliant:

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »
Wow, total rippage!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »
How does anyone smart enough to put this together figure on getting away with it?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 01:37:45 PM »
I read about this yesterday. It just seemed so bizarre to me, that I wasn't sure if it was a hoax or what.

But my God -- is this REALLY true?? That'd be very crazy, if it was.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
Ahaha.  I ran across what I now assume to be the breaking blog post on this yesterday where someone at one of those shitty blog-review sites like gizmodo or destructiod compaired screenshots of Oblivion enviroments to this game.  It's great to see how much farther this has gone.  I'm in the same boat as Que where I kind of want it now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »
Now Majestic claims that they were unaware of the "alleged" stealing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »

Now Majestic claims that they were unaware of the "alleged" stealing.

Quote from: Majestic
"In response to the shocking notification that some alleged unauthorized copyrighted materials submitted by sources external to the development team
So, wait -- who's the team that Majestic (supposedly) contracted for outsourcing?

EDIT:
This outsourcing source brings up some question.

About outsourcing -- how often is this done by development team? And what do they often outsource? Art? voice-overs? Or just any assets in general?

Often, is the outsourcing listed in the game credits??

We've seen it done numerous times when say a console games gets ported to the PC -- like when Bioware had done w/ both Jade Empire and Mass Effect when bringing it to the PC.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »
They didn't say, which makes me wonder if there is one.  I didn't comment further because it seems like no matter how I worded my gut feelings, they easily could be invalidated with more facts.  It's not like I care that much about it either way.  But if it's symptomatic of exporting work to dirt-cheap fly-by-nights, then they had it coming.  If they're lying, well, that has even more hell waiting to be paid.