Author Topic: Come play Quake Wars!  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Come play Quake Wars!
« on: Saturday, July 26, 2008, 10:50:18 PM »
Seriously.  I'm having so much damned fun with this game, so as per my usual whim, I started a server to encourage people to play.  Hit up 67.180.28.170:27733 if you want to join.  I'll probably be playing there by myself a lot, unless I get adventurous and try to go find something with people on it.  There's nothing terribly special about the server, but hopefully it gives us a place to easily congregate where we can set all the rules and do everything as we deem fit.  At this point it isn't a ranked server either, so we could do custom maps/mod, etc. (though I know nothing about that scene yet).

Anyway, things may improve once idol reinstalls the game.  I suspect he and I will play some just because he usually humors me and plays stuff, and if his connection turns out to be okay (another advantage of having our own server, I can turn off the antilag options), I think he'll love it.  If scott joins, then that's another, and if we get a few others to give the game a shot, so much the better.  It's really cheap now.  I got the Limited Edition box (which isn't terribly special other than the mighty pretty box, a few nice looking art cards, and a DVD with the usual trailers and crap) for $30 at Best Buy, so I'm sure you could find the standard edition much cheaper.  I always do have a really good time when we all get together to play something.  Those Quake 2 matches were fun as hell and really brought back the joy of playing with a good group of friends, like I used to do at PlanetQuake back in its heyday.  So if there's any interest, post in this thread, even if you don't have the game but are considering playing.  The game is still well supported... the 1.5 update was only just released in May.  Don't seem to be tons of players around, but there still seem to be some ranked servers well stocked with folks.

If you're looking for more info. on the game or, like idol, installed before there were any good tutorials and felt a little lost, then you should definitely check out this nicely put together site.  And if you want free money, go to QuakeCon this year, as there's a $25k pot for the Quake Wars tourney (plus a couple of Quake Live competitions, and I think a mapping competition).

Also, you have to watch this commercial.  If you do nothing else, watch that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Come play Quake Wars!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 03:54:38 AM »
Good thing I ain't uninstalled QW.
Been a while since I played that.

Since I ain't playing a hell of a lot, this might be one to get back into...

EDIT:
I added your server to my Fav's. Yay.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 04:27:40 AM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 07:25:45 AM »
Been on a bit of a Starcraft binge lately, but I'll see if I can make time for this.  I have to reinstall it.

I'd really like to get a new wireless card because my current one drops about 5% of packets, but it seems all the Atheros and Ralink chipset ones (very Linux compatible) seem to get horrible reviews for bad Vista or x64 support or just bad Windows drivers in general.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »
Pyro is going to be spending the week with us out here, so maybe we could schedule a Friday night/weekend session once he's gone back home?  I'll probably be leaving the server up just for kicks (some people have actually come on and used it, I played with a couple folks last night), so feel free to hop on if its up, but we should try to schedule a meetup so we can all hit it at the same time and stuff.  And once we've got a few of us on, chances are pretty decent some other players will show up if they see live bodies.

EDIT - I'm also looking into rankings just for fun.  Apparently a big part of why QW isn't so popular now is because the ranked stats only track when you're playing on ranked servers, but clans and stuff can't run their own ranked server, which is bullshit.  They have to rent from providers or their box has to already have that host.  So that kind of blows.  Not that stats are really a big deal, but that does bring in players.  On the other hand, that probably means you've got far fewer stupid dicks playing QW since most of the people will be off spamming TF2 to get their next achievement.

Still, stats are kinda' fun.  I'm looking at splatterladder.com right now, which doesn't seem to track achievements and stuff the way you'd get in a ranked server, though it does provide some other information and junk.  And it's free to sign up for.  Then you just throw your QW handle in and it does the rest.  Kinda' cool.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 02:47:54 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
I saw your Q3A thread and was sad.  I just installed ET:QW Thursday and have been playing the heck out of it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »
I still got Quake Wars installed...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:59:16 PM »
Haha, really?  You guys should have said something if you wanted to play!  Though I'd be more than happy to play a few games of Quake Wars too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »
Haha, really?  You guys should have said something if you wanted to play!  Though I'd be more than happy to play a few games of Quake Wars too.

We need to co-ordinate some battles, for either game.

If I'm around and y'all are around, I'd be game for some good MP stuff -- Quake 3 Arena, Quake Wars, or UT3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »
Hey D, I saw you trying to connect... you having troubles getting on with us?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:30:26 PM »
Hey D, I saw you trying to connect... you having troubles getting on with us?

Yeah, I don't have the map you're running.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »
Oh snap.  Haha, I thought this was the Q3 thread.  I posted in the wrong one.  My response to you is in the other thread, heh.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
Oh snap, I thought you guys might be playing QW.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:58:34 PM »
At this point, there seems to be more interest in Q3.  You hate anything that isn't team-based though, right?  I'm sure we can get something going for QW, it'll just probably be easier if we schedule in advance.  Maybe a Friday or Saturday?  What's your schedule like?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »
I don't really like Q3 or those kinds of games.  Besides, I don't have it anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately scheduling in advance doesn't really work.  I don't know if I'll truly have free time until it happens.  No biggie.  I've got a few people from my old Wolf clan that I run into on QW from time-to-time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »
Well, that's good.  At some point I'll try to get something hooked up, then hopefully that'll coincide with some free time for you