Author Topic: Force Unleashed demo?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Force Unleashed demo?
« on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »
Anyone check it out? I just heard it was on XBox live.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Force Unleashed demo?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 08:41:54 PM »
I was hoping they would release a demo for the PS3, but I guess not. Sucks for me.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 10:41:52 PM »
I was hoping they would release a demo for the PS3, but I guess not. Sucks for me.

It was up on the PS3 store at about 4pm my time and it was completely fucking awesome.  I will definitely be buying it, its pretty generous for a demo too.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 10:51:21 PM »
I'm hoping the pc demo comes out soon.  What?  Fuck!  THAT IS BULLSHIT

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »
It was up on the PS3 store at about 4pm my time and it was completely fucking awesome.  I will definitely be buying it, its pretty generous for a demo too.

Awesome. I thought since the Xbox seemed to get it yesterday and there was nothing on the PS3 when I checked earlier today that we got shafted. I'm downloading it now.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 22, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »
I came away from the demo feeling so-so. Some stuff is very pretty and being able to use all sorts of force powers at once it fun, but some of it just feels not quite up to par.

My main problem lies with the targeting system. Half the time, I just wasn't locking onto what I wanted to. I think this is a result of there being like a dozen things you can lock onto at a given time, but in the time I spent playing I wasn't able to figure out exactly why I was targeting a box instead of the trooper just next to it. Now, I understand that half the idea is this Jedi doesn't have precise control over his powers so he just kind of goes crazy and things make sense in that respect, but it adds a certain amount of frustration to the actual game. I'm also thinking that I might be trying to lock on to things too luck as well. The game plays a lot like God of War and you didn't need to lock on nearly as much there. Part of my problem is I expect to use the lock on a lot simply because it's there all the time.

My other problems are mostly cosmetic. I think it's great that you can do stuff like grab a Tie Fighter from the sky and throw it around, but it just doesn't look right when you throw it and it just explodes into nothing the first time it taps another solid object. This is especially the case when the game seems to make an effort to show off all the physics and having lots of stuff fly around on screen. I imagine they did this because a real dynamic crash on the level of all the other physics in the game of afighter would probably melt every computer/console out there, but I would like to see something a bit more exciting. As it it, throwing a box into a group of soldiers is more exciting. That just seems wrong.

Still, I think the game would be fun to go through if you're not expecting a God of War level game. I'll probably pick the game up when the price drops.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 25, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »
Tried the demo and I kind of like what I tried.  Some problems such as targeting exist -- hopefully some, if not all the kinks that were in the demo are resolved when the full version comes out in 2-3 weeks.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
Targeting problems, definitely.  But I was having a great time with this regardless.  How the stuff flies out of your grip is unpredictable, yet satisfying.  Everything looks real purty.  I was flying high on it all, until a canned button sequence brought me crashing down.  Ugh!  Train me like a good little monkey to press the buttons in the right order, so I get a banana.  Show me that cinematic sequence that has nothing to do with my hand gestures.   Fuck you.  No, seriously: fuck you.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:54:34 PM »
Yeah, while the QTEs in Shenmue were kind of cool in the context of the game and fresh, they quickly wore thin in just about every other game out there (except for the God of War games).  They need to die.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 01:09:35 AM »
Is that where this whole shit started?  I never played Shenmue.  God of War I thought was the culprit.  That makes it a greater sinner, since it mimicked.  It did not invent.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 01:13:46 AM »
I agree that these things just need to die, but that doesn't mean every game that ever used them did it badly.  There are plenty of games with good systems that actually did it well and had it add to the experience, not detract.

But yeah, it needs to stop.  Or at least improve one hell of a lot in most circumstances.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 01:29:49 AM »
I'm relieved I'm not alone in hating this.  It doesn't surprise me that it came out in a fighting game.  Arcane button sequences to accomplish moves are a staple of the genre, one which kept me far away from it since Street Fighter II (my one and only bite into it).  This crap needs to stay there where it belongs.  What you're watching is not in any way related to what you're doing.  Why doesn't that violently piss off everyone in a game like TFU?  Why is only a few of us?  I don't understand.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »
Reviews are coming in:
6.9 from GameTrailers
7.3 from IGN
7.5 from Gamespot

Seems like the high is a great story -- one that is better than the prequel trilogy.  Lows is frustrating combat, especially towards the end, and a short game at 7-9 hours.

I'm still undecided whether or not I will pick this up.  The story is definitely appealing, but is it worth the $60 price tag?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 02:34:06 PM »
I played the demo and thought the game was pretty lame.  I couldn't keep the force powers straight and it really wouldn't ever do what I wanted it to do.  Some of this I guess can be attributed to just lack of playtime or practice, but it just didn't feel very fun.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »
I just checked out the demo. It had some pretty cool Force Power implementation, simplified and context sensitive, but I totally see the targetting problems everyone is talking about.

I am constantly subconsciously comparing it to Jedi Outcast.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »
From VideoGamer.com, Randy Stude of Intel & The President of The PC Gaming Alliance takes some nice shots at LucasArts -- namely for IP shopping their games to other studios and for no release of Force Unleashed on the PC.

LucasArts slammed for no PC Force Unleashed
By Wesley Yin-Poole - 18/10/2008 - 2:38pm GMT

PCGA boss calls scalability issue excuse an 'uneducated answer'.
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed screenshot

Randy Stude, president of the PC Gaming Alliance, has slammed LucasArts for not releasing a PC version of massively successful Star Wars game The Force Unleashed.

Back in May, LucasArts producer Cameron Suey told VideoGamer.com that it wasn't doing a PC version of The Force Unleashed because of the vast differences in power of PCs in people's homes.

He said: "The PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn't be the same game.

"On the other hand if we made that game for as many people as possible, because we are trying to make mass market games, something that everybody can enjoy, well then it's not taking advantage of what those $4,000 systems can do. So one way or the other depending on how you build that lead PC SKU, it's not going to be for the same amount of people, it's going to be not as good or only for a select few people. No matter where you pick that bar somebody's out of luck."

In an interview with VideoGamer.com, set to be published next week, Stude described the excuse as "uneducated" and said LucasArts "hasn't made a good PC game in a long time".

He said: "That's not an educated answer. In the last several years there have been at least 100 million PCs sold that have the capabilities or better of an Xbox 360. It's ridiculous to say that there's not enough audience for that game potentially and that it falls into this enthusiast extreme category when ported over to the PC. That's an uneducated response."

When asked if he believed Suey's explanation might not be truthful, Stude replied: "I think you probably got plenty of feedback and opinions from your readers and my personal opinion is if they're making games for the Wii, Xbox and PS3 they're scaling their experience to meet all three of those platforms. They're good on the Wii, better on the Xbox 360 and the best on the PS3. There's no argument that they could give not to be able to support good better and best on the PC."

He went on to make some damning comments regarding the quality of LucasArts' games as well as their current development strategy, which he called "job shopping".

"LucasArts hasn't made a good PC game in a long time," he said. "That's my opinion. They make some pretty good games for the Wii, you know those little sticks you wave in the air, that seems like a natural fit for a lightsaber game, sure. But I think the last good PC game they made was probably Jedi Knight 2, and even their strategy games weren't that great. So I can understand why they would make that call.

"They're not really creating product within LucasArts themselves. They're going at it job shopping their IP. That may be a little controversial for me to say, but that's what I see. There's no development team necessarily within LucasArts any more, they've basically turned into an intellectual property machine and supporting the PC, why should they? It really doesn't fit their property."

Be sure to check the site next week for the interview with PCGA president Randy Stude in full.