Author Topic: Beyond Good & Evil PC = $4.99 on Steam  (Read 2765 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Beyond Good & Evil PC = $4.99 on Steam
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »
Do it!  fuck the missing water effects and weird slowdown...you can't go wrong at that price.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 02:53:42 AM »
Do it!  fuck the missing water effects and weird slowdown...you can't go wrong at that price.
Missing water effects and weird slowdowns?? I only had one major game-breaking bug: about 3/4 into the game there's a room full of robots, once your done a key is supposed to drop so you can progress but it doesn't happen. The only work-around is downloading a save that's right after that event.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 03:43:07 AM »
Yeah, this is a pretty recent thing - like when I tried to play it within the last 3 months or so.  I posted about it here somewhere, but can't really find it.  All I can really remember is that there's some issues with the game and newer hardware.  In retrospect I think the main thing was the water in the hovercraft levels would slow the game down to a crawl with later nvidia drivers, so you had to disable all water effects.  I think I also had to disable quite a few other things to get around various other little errors.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 05:42:26 AM »
You know, I'd rather find a boxed copy of the game. But, chances of that -- especially at $4.99 -- is pretty damn slim and none, these day and age.

Hell, I don't think I even seen BB or CC or any of those places that have OLD games in jewel cases have this game...And I always look for this one...

I wish BG&E would be one of the games to join the upcoming GoG Club that CDPR will have beginning next month...

EDIT:
Okay, it's been downloading off Steam for a lil' bit.
Can't wait to try this one. :)

It's like 82% done.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 08:44:17 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
The game is totally worth playing.  I did get bored with it before the end and the thought of playing a sequel doesn't interest me, but the game was totally worth seeing and does some different stuff.  It's a pretty cool little game.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »
So far, I really like it. Only a little over 2 hours into it.
Been trying to take lots of pics of species to make $, so far.
I really like the artistic design of the graphics.

The camera can be funky and wonky at times -- but as long as you hit the key to reset it back behind you, you're okay.

So far, so good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
The Slaughterhouse is where I'm at in this game.

The game went from quite easy to quite hard, all of a sudden. Been a few room that been really tough to get through, in these stealth missions. And it don't help that the wonky camera can get stuck in walls and throw everything off.

But hey, minor complaint.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
Finished it a little bit ago. Around 18 hours it took me.

Yeah, I liked it a lot. It was very good that it did so many different gameplay elements so well, it's pretty surprising -- flying elements, ship driving elements, action elements, inventory elements, and even stealth elements.

Though, the game's curve went from easy to insanely tough with the Slaughterhouse level.

Despite having namely issues w/ the damn camera going wonky, which would sometimes drive me kooky at times, it was really good. 

ENDING TALK - SPOILERS
(click to show/hide)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember when I stopped playing the game on 3 of the 4 times I tried to play it:  stealth missions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »
Oh yeah, I remember when I stopped playing the game on 3 of the 4 times I tried to play it:  stealth missions.

It's not like they stealth levels are badly done. They are well-designed. The earlier-on stealth levels weren't hard, but they weren't easy, either. They felt just about right, basically.

It's just BG&E goes from moderate to ridiculously hard in a matter of one level -- basically, The Slaughterhouse is when the game hits that extremely suddenly steep curve. I thought that was by far, the hardest level in the game. No contest. The AI is just really punishing, giving you barely any room for error. And the wonky cam don't help matters here especially in these levels, either.

After that level, back to moderate. Last boss battle is tough, but it's nowhere as tough as The Slaughterhouse stealth level.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 04:31:47 PM »
It's not like they stealth levels are badly done. They are well-designed. The earlier-on stealth levels weren't hard, but they weren't easy, either. They felt just about right, basically.

It isn't a matter of difficulty, its more of an issue where it's just bad design and isn't fun. 

Games that have done stealth well:

-Metal Gear Solid Series
-Splinter Cell Series
-Tenchu
-Apparently the Thief series, although I can't say.
-Arguably Assassin's Creed

Games that have fucked it up:

-Every other game out there
-Especially Beyond Good and Evil

The problem is that unless the entire game and the associated mechanics is built up around it, there's no such thing as "stealth action" -   there's either stealth or action. What it amounts to is a situation where in the middle of the level you're asked to stand behind a box or crate for 2 min while a guard walks by and then wait there another 3 while you wait for that to line up with the other guard looking away.  Sure, in some games like BG&E you can kind of bypass it by shooting the guards in the 'special area' but that doesn't always work and it doesn't make it any more fun or enjoyable.  I mean, if they were out of ideas they might as well have gone all the way with it and just cut off the power to my controller for 30 seconds randomly or just made a big room you have to wait in for 5 min. before the door opens. 

It's a broken mechanic in a lot of games, and I'd really just rather a puzzle or platforming area.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 04:54:29 PM »
What I hate is adding stealth to games that have no need for them.  That was BG&E's problem -- it was pointless for what the game was.  It just didn't belong.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 09:41:28 PM »
Exactly.  It just fucks up the pacing and bores the shit out of you.  It works great in MGS, SC, or Assassin's Creed (sort of), but when it just gets tacked onto games it ends up just being annoying.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
I love stealth games and I agree with you guys, it didn't really belong in BG&E, at least not in the state it was in.