Author Topic: Max Payne 3  (Read 13402 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Max Payne 3 -> Update: PC version to take up 35 GB of HDD space
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
I think because people have such ginormous hard drives developers either don't care as much, or are actually taking advantage to create bigger content? Maybe a mixture of the two.

35 is too much.

I uninstalled the new Total War game after just not playing it and got a huge chunk of space. I bet D can tell us what the install size for it is.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
I think because people have such ginormous hard drives developers either don't care as much, or are actually taking advantage to create bigger content? Maybe a mixture of the two.

35 is too much.

I uninstalled the new Total War game after just not playing it and got a huge chunk of space. I bet D can tell us what the install size for it is.

I bought Shogun 2 like dirt cheap, back when Amazon DVG had it for like $2 or so.
I been meaning to download Total War: Shogun 2, when doing something else [like watching a movie or something].
Let me look at Steam's estimated download size....
Total War: Shogun 2 is almost 23 GB [with no DLC].

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »
What the fuck is taking up all the space? 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #43 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »
Yea after some free DLC it was nearly 30GB. I couldn't believe it!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 07:20:48 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Max Payne 3 -> Update: Reviews rolling in; PC version to take up 35 GB HDD space
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 01:48:10 AM »
Really? I thought the game would suck.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Max Payne 3 -> Update: Reviews rolling in; PC version to take up 35 GB HDD space
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 03:10:18 AM »
The GameTrailers review wasn't overly impressed with it, basically stating that the multiplayer is the redeeming quality.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »
Max Payne 3 PC requirements have been updated; PC version delayed until June 1st.

LOWEST TESTED SPECS
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ, or better
2GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 8600 GT 512MB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 3400 512MB RAM

LOW RECOMMENDED SPECS
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Intel Dual Core 3GHz or AMD equivalent
3GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 450 512MB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 4870 512MB RAM

HIGH RECOMMENDED SPECS
Windows 7/Vista (32 or 64 bit)
Intel i7 Quad Core 2.8Ghz or AMD equivalent
3GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 480 1GB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 5870 1GB RAM

HIGHEST TESTED SPECS
Windows 7/Vista (64 bit)
Intel i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ
or AMD FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ
16GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 3GB RAM

EDIT:
DRM details on Max Payne 3 PC website.
It uses for online activation Rockstar Social Club and GameShield IronWrap DRM.

Initial activation requires internet connection and a valid Rockstar Social Club account (13+ to register);
Online play requires log-in to Rockstar Social Club (13+);
software installation required including GameShield® IronWrap®
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 09:12:30 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Max Payne 3 -> Update: PC version system requirements updated
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 07:16:49 AM »
PCWorld -> Interview w/ Rockstar on PC version of Max Payne 3.

In BOLD = Alex Rubens PCWorld
In Regular Print = Rockstar's Kevin Hoare, PC Lead Designer on Max Payne 3.

What are you doing to take advantage of the powerful hardware available in a PC?

As you can see from the specs list above, we’ve worked hard to make sure the game will run smoothly on a wide range of PC builds. But it’s when you get towards the top end of that range that you can really push a game to its limits, and the game will look and run incredibly on the most advanced current machines around at the moment and well into the near future.

You’ll find that screen resolution is scalable, there’s triple and even sextuple monitor support which helps to run higher screen resolutions, there’s various anti-aliasing options, scalable water quality, scalable shadow quality, increased detail for characters and vehicles and a scalable texture filter that further increases visual quality. We’re also supporting DX11 with Max Payne 3, with features including Hull/Tessellation/Domain Shaders (which adds curvature to the character/vehicle models), Gather4 (for optimized shadow sampling / FXAA), Geometry shader / Stream Output and DX11 texture samplers to name a few.

35GB is a pretty hefty install size, even for a PC title. Why the large size? Are we seeing HD textures or better rendered cutscenes?

Both, and more. As we said earlier, one of the goals with Max Payne 3 on PC was to have a game that runs beautifully out of the box on day one across a wide range of machines. The PC is the only platform where you can really max out the high end if you want to, and we wanted Max Payne 3 on PC to have the potential to look beautiful on the highest possible resolutions on the biggest monitors available - so while we can still scale performance down to suit even reasonably low-end rigs, every asset is available at the highest resolution possible, from audio to video to textures.

The installed size of Max Payne 3 is due to the no-compromise quality of its assets, which already push console disc space to the limits. A good portion of the extra space requirements on PC can be attributed to the increased size of the textures, which are four times the size of those on consoles. In addition, the audio quality is significantly higher than the consoles due to lower compression rates, which improves audio fidelity. Again, this comes back to the range of possibilities that the PC platform opens up for us. That, combined with higher video settings when running the game, results in substantially better visual quality.

As you can tell, there’s a lot for PC fans with higher-spec hardware to sink their teeth in to.

Assuming that there's full gamepad support, do you find that the gamepad works as well as the mouse and keyboard in Max Payne 3?

Correct, there is full gamepad support with Max Payne 3. We also wanted the kind of customizable options you get within a PC game to transfer over to the gamepad so players will be able to completely fine-tune the aiming mechanics to tailor them to their playing style and preference, something that PC gamers have come to expect with mouse and keyboard controls. You can change the reticule, alter the horizontal and vertical reticule speeds, remove or amend kill indicators, not to mention selecting your preferred aiming mechanic. It’s also worth mentioning that console players will also have these options; everything within this game across all platforms is about customization and player preference.

Thanks for reading, and keep an eye peeled for the PC version of Max Payne 3, which debuts on June 1st. Stay tuned for our full review!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Max Payne 3 - Update: MP cheaters caught will only be able to play w/ each other
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »
haha that's good!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Max Payne 3
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 09:43:33 PM »
Anyone else remember this coming out? I nabbed it during the Steam sale and plowed through it today and last night. It's fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rockstar's take was a solid one that stands well alongside the originals. I feel like a lot of thought went into the tweaks they made to the formula that serve the tone of the very well while managing to keep the game playing well in a new way (for the series). I would say the same as well for writing. It's not as flowery as the originals, but the shift in tone is well earned.

So yeah, great game. Don't forget it's there if another sale happens or something.

Edit: Oh yeah. About the 35gig install. It's sort of bullshit. I think they just made the game for a blu ray and didn't bother compressing anything. The texture work doesn't seem any crazier than your average game these days.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 09:48:03 PM »
I picked this up on the Xbox Games on Demand sale a few weeks ago. I haven't started it yet because as usual, I never managed to finish either of the first 2 games (despite owning physical and Steam versions of both). I started playing Max Payne 1, but shit... it's been so long. I feel like I have to abuse the quick save system to get anywhere lol.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Anyone else remember this coming out?
It dropped when Diablo 3 (PC) did - so, I'd say most people answer "No" to this. ;)

I nabbed it during the Steam sale and plowed through it today and last night. It's fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rockstar's take was a solid one that stands well alongside the originals. I feel like a lot of thought went into the tweaks they made to the formula that serve the tone of the very well while managing to keep the game playing well in a new way (for the series). I would say the same as well for writing. It's not as flowery as the originals, but the shift in tone is well earned.

So yeah, great game. Don't forget it's there if another sale happens or something.

Edit: Oh yeah. About the 35gig install. It's sort of bullshit. I think they just made the game for a blu ray and didn't bother compressing anything. The texture work doesn't seem any crazier than your average game these days.
Max Payne 3 was great, IMHO. Man, that series has been awesome, from Remedy to Rockstar.

I don't know, man - I had most of the stuff maxed-out on my PC; and I thought the game's graphics, with its details & backgrounds were fabulous.
{shoulder shrug}

And, TSW has it beat at almost 39GB in size.