Author Topic: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon does 5x's sales what Ubi expected; sequel?  (Read 10944 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon does 5x's sales what Ubi expected; sequel?
« on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 05, 2013, 07:35:23 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Far Cry 3 -- Update: PC Requirements revealed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Joystiq -> Far Cry 3 - PC Version's System Requirements revealed.

Far Cry 3 will be able to run on PC rigs with 512MB of video RAM and 4GB of memory, although it'd be nice to have 1024MB, and it'd be really ideal if you had the latest DirectX 11 graphics card and 8GB of memory. Below find the official Far Cry 3 PC requirements, broken down into "minimum," "recommended" and "hi-performance," with AMD and Nvidia examples for each.

Far Cry 3 will need to be activated once via Ubisoft's Uplay, but doesn't require an always-on internet connection to run through the single-player campaign (in offline mode, obviously). Now that your DRM-panic-attack meter has settled, see if your PC is up to the challenge after the break.

Minimum Specs
DirectX9c graphics card with 512MB Video RAM
Dual core CPU
4GB Memory

Example minimum 1 (NVidia/Intel)
NVidia GTX8800
Intel Core2 Duo E6700

Example minimum 2 (AMD)
AMD Radeon HD2900
AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+

Recommended Specs
DirectX11 graphics card with 1024MB Video RAM
Quad core CPU
4GB Memory

Example recommended 1 (NVidia/Intel)
NVidia GTX480
Intel Core i3-530

Example recommended 2 (AMD)
AMD Radeon HD5770
AMD Phenom II X2 565

Hi-Performance Specs
Latest DirectX11 graphics card
Latest quad core CPU
8GB Memory

Example hi-performance (NVidia/Intel)
NVidia GTX680
Intel Core i7-2600K

Example hi-performance (AMD)
AMD Radeon HD7970
AMD Bulldozer FX4150

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Far Cry 3 -- Update: Ubi's FC3 PC servers are down; issues occurring
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 30, 2012, 06:07:25 AM »
PC Gamer:
Ubi's FC3 PC servers down; PC version having issues now;
Boot FC3 PC first into OFFLINE Mode to avoid these issues.

Oh dear. Rock, Paper, Shotgun report that Far Cry 3′s servers are currently down. We’ve had a quick look ourselves and yes, it looks like Uplay’s throwing a tantrum.

While Ubisoft have dropped their previous always-online DRM requirement, the Uplay launcher will still default to booting the game in online mode. If you launch without a connection, there’s no in-game prompt to switch over to offline mode, causing menus to load blank and your character to become stuck to his current spot.

The trick is to tell the Uplay launcher to go offline before you start the game, at which point it will load with all the features you’d expect. Like movement.

To reiterate: oh dear. Uplay hasn’t exactly enamoured itself to PC gamers, for years acting as the poster child for a needlessly punishing DRM system that would pause your game whenever your connection dropped. While Far Cry 3 is still playable, the fact that there’s no easy way to swap between the modes in-game means that for many, their first experience will be, once again, Uplay acting as a restrictive obstacle between them and the game they bought.

Ubi are aware of the problem, and have tweeted to say: “We’re very sorry for the server issues affecting Far Cry 3 on PC and are working as fast as possible to restore the service.”

Tom Francis rather enjoyed his time turning wild game into fetching backpacks in our Far Cry 3 review. Admittedly that was back before the servers were being hammered by players excitedly loading their launch day purchase.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 30, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Damn it, Ubi.

They announced that they will no longer us always-online DRM but they build the game to be dependent on a platform with functionality that requires an internet connection. Luckily the workaround is relatively simple.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »
So.. Far Cry 3 is kind of surprisingly awesome. It's like a cross between Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and Just Cause. Fun stuff.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
They must have improved streaming video a hell of a lot on the Xbox with the latest system updates.  I clicked on this tile about FC3, expecting a trailer download, and instead was treated instantly to what seemed close to a half hour of high-res in-game exposure to the game, detailing point by point, and very visually, what you get to do in it.  Very impressive.  So today I checked out the glowing reviews.  Like Dishonored, this came out of left field for me.  I knew FC3 was in the pipe, unlike Dishonored, but the transition from "huh?" to must-have was equally abrupt.  After my shoulder-shrugging reaction to the other FC games, it's the last thing I had expected.

I guess, as usual, the last year of this console generation will turn out to be the best.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 07, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
CVG -> UbiSoft is working on a FC3 Patch to allow for Adjustable HUD and NO HUD options.

Ubisoft has confirmed that it's working on a patch to add adjustable HUD (heads-up display) options to Far Cry 3.

The developer says this comes in response to user feedback, as CVG has witness many players complaining online of the game's cluttered user interface.
PC players have been using a configuration hack to hide the HUD, but this can cause issues with hiding essential information - issues which will not occur with Ubisoft's official HUD options.

Here's the official statement passed to Kotaku:

"Based on feedback from both press and fans, the Far Cry 3 production team is working on a patch that will allow you to toggle most HUD/UI elements based on player preference. The patch will also avoid issues encountered in the .dll hack that might create a mission walkthrough break (missing QTE prompts, critical information, etc;). The team is excited about how the Far Cry 3 community and fans of the game are enjoying themselves, and finding new ways to experience the Rook Islands. More news will be coming on the patch shortly..."

Ubisoft released PC patch 1.02 on Thursday, aiming to improve stability, team balancing and matchmaking, and fix issues where players fall through the world and the map editor crashes on launch.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Far Cry 3 -- Update: Ubi's working on Adjustable HUD/NO HUD Patch
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
Got the game for Christmas and have put in about 4 hours. Game is already fun and interesting, but it suffers from some really bad hand-holding and streamlining effects. Things like binary fail states with stealth missions, inventory and quality of life stuff being locked behind leveling/crafting progress, and issues with "return to mission area or die." (Yes, in an open world game)

It's still fun though. I just got the bow, but haven't yet had a real chance to try it out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 07:36:43 AM »
I have it, but am progressing very slowly through it.  At first, I wanted to treat it like a Fallout or TES game, and quickly found out the game isn't going to let me.  It keeps sending in hordes of jeeps to my position, which they can't possibly determine honestly.  Infinite guys with guns and grenades, and I have 60 rounds in a single weapon.  Even at the easiest difficulty, I don't last long.  So I'm now just following the main story path, hoping I get to a place where the world truly opens up.  Some things are a lot of fun, but overall it feels like a $60 mistake at this point.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »
Yea I've been having ammo troubles a well. I had enough money to buy an SMG pretty early on (by like the second mission), so I bought an MP5. I didn't even make it to my waypoint before I had to ditch it for an AK47 from an enemy because I was out of ammo. That was when I realized I was going to have to either carry an assault rifle, since that the ammo most enemies seem to drop. (all the ARs share ammo, even if they don't IRL). I also made it a priority to craft the first weapon sling as soon as possible so I could carry 2 weapons.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
After having bitched a couple of posts up, I feel it's only fair to correct myself now.  This game is outstanding.  I'm fully into it now.  I still have a long way to go with the map and story, and I don't mind keeping it that way.  There is so much to see and do, and now that I'm past the early steep learning curve, I'm free to see and do it.  I'm a Far Cry virgin no more.  Love it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »
I think it's more about the early game bottleneck than a learning curve. I can now carry 3 weapons and have more abilities at my disposal, and it's making the game way better. I can't believe I still do'nt have any upgraded ammo pouch though. I need boar skins I think. I killed boars for like the second mission, but the icon is gone from the map. Maybe they're there anyway?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Far Cry 3
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
The icons seem to be more of a guide than something definite (?).  Animals vary with the areas, but there can also be different groups at different times.  One time, I was going after a stronghold, so I ignored a bunch of goats along the way, thinking I'd come back for them later.  When I returned to the area, they had morphed into pigs.  Could not find a single goat, which I needed.

I have most of my pouches/slings/etc upgraded now as far as they'll go without the special items from the "path of" challenges.  4 weapons and tons of ammo help immensely.  LMGs do the job on the big predators.  I have yet to try out shotguns.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 02:01:40 AM »
The animal/hunting icons are more of a guide, as Cobra said. Keep in mind they only appear when you're zoomed in enough in the map, when you zoom out only the fast transport and objective icons appear.

Upgrading stealth and takedowns were my priority, since I took a more stealthy approach, but weapon slings, rucksack, and ammo pouches are invaluable! It's crucial to maximize your weapon slings as quickly as possible! For me it was since I switch between weapons frequently depending on uses (silenced, long-range, explosive).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 05:33:38 AM »
Ah, yes, the map zooming can make the icons disappear.  That must be what happened to W7RE.  I'm pretty sure the icons are static (once the radio towers reveal them).

I like the stealth options myself, when I can make them work.  I'm still learning the ropes there.  I've successfully captured 2 bases undetected and a few others without setting off alarms.  That's becoming increasingly necessary too.  The last time I had to take a base the hard way, these guys throwing an infinite barrage of molotovs at me damn near finished me.  Nasty!  Gotta take that 50% reduction in fire damage perk ASAP.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »
I can see the icons, I'm just not seeing any for boars. I was assuming they were static, and one of your first missions has you kill some boars. The icon for those boars is gone now, but the lizard icon that was right next to it has been there the whole time.

Also, I didn't even know you could zoom the map lol.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Far Cry 3 getting rave reviews!
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Far Cry 3 getting rave reviews!
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »
I actually am sort of surprised its this well received. Who expected another Far Cry to actually be something?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
It took me by surprise too! It wasn't on my radar, I mean I was aware of it but it wasn't noteworthy, then my cousin gave it to me for my birthday and what a revelation!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 12:38:10 AM »
Um?  At first I thought this was an old thread.  I've been heavily into FC3 for a few weeks now.  It's way impressive, and that's on a humble console.  I can just imagine what a high-power PC can bring to this mayhem.

Oh, yeah.  See here.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 01:28:44 AM »
Um?  At first I thought this was an old thread.  I've been heavily into FC3 for a few weeks now.  It's way impressive, and that's on a humble console.  I can just imagine what a high-power PC can bring to this mayhem.

Oh, yeah.  See here.
Yeah, that's just Pug breaking protocol. He's a rebel I tells ya! A rebel without a cause!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 01:38:15 AM »
Whoops! Someone combine!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »
I've been heavily into FC3 for a few weeks now.  It's way impressive, and that's on a humble console.  I can just imagine what a high-power PC can bring to this mayhem.[/url]

Giant Bomb were saying it "looked like shit" on consoles, but gave kept it as one of their top 3 best looking games of the year (the only one they picked based on technical prowess, the others were Journey and Fez). I certainly don't think it looks like shit (I'm playing on Xbox), but I imagine it looks pretty great on a good PC.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 06:38:49 AM »
Giant Bomb were saying it "looked like shit" on consoles, but gave kept it as one of their top 3 best looking games of the year (the only one they picked based on technical prowess, the others were Journey and Fez). I certainly don't think it looks like shit (I'm playing on Xbox), but I imagine it looks pretty great on a good PC.
Far Cry 3 does look pretty damn good with a strong enough PC. It is a bit of a resource hog, especially with no way to switch off Ambient Occlusion (AO) through the options; there is a workaround to turn it off via cfg files, but if you visit the options at all it will force it back on. That said, the game's visuals and its lighting style actually depends on the shading provided through AO, without it the game actually looks quite flat (a lot like FC2) so the developer's choice to kinda force AO on is understandable.

I'm generally not a fan of AO since it eats up resources for very subtle visual improvements, it's just not worth it, however FC3 is the one exception where AO very clearly affects the appearance.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »

It absolutely does not look like shit on the Xbox.  I wish they would compare apples to apples.  It looks terrific for the system, compared to anything else on it.  I'm sure it doesn't stack up against game PCs with 7 years of extra tech.  It behaves really well too.  I've had a total of one hang after about 40 hours of play.  Moves well, though it can get chuggy when a lot is happening, and during cutscenes.  I've read complaints about frame-rate issues, but I'm just not seeing that.  The vast majority of the time, it's smooth and steady.  There is no stuttering of any kind either, ever.  That's what I hate most about some games that can't keep up with their streaming--the hesitation and momentary freezing.  Here, even when the fps drops, the motion continues steadily, and playability doesn't suffer.  Very nicely done on this aged system.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 11:58:08 PM »
It absolutely does not look like shit on the Xbox.  I wish they would compare apples to apples.  It looks terrific for the system, compared to anything else on it.  I'm sure it doesn't stack up against game PCs with 7 years of extra tech.  It behaves really well too.  I've had a total of one hang after about 40 hours of play.  Moves well, though it can get chuggy when a lot is happening, and during cutscenes.  I've read complaints about frame-rate issues, but I'm just not seeing that.  The vast majority of the time, it's smooth and steady.  There is no stuttering of any kind either, ever.  That's what I hate most about some games that can't keep up with their streaming--the hesitation and momentary freezing.  Here, even when the fps drops, the motion continues steadily, and playability doesn't suffer.  Very nicely done on this aged system.

To be honest we're at the point where the marginal utility of the extra horsepower of modern PCs is questionable.  With games like Battlefield 3 and the like I have a hard time noticing the difference between high and medium settings.  And I can't even tell if Ambient Occlusion is on or not.

And yet, people still claim that games look like shit on consoles or with certain settings. I don't think it's really that I'm getting old and don't care, I just think that the diminishing returns of technology advancement to graphical quality is really setting in.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:40:42 AM »
Yea I have been pretty strong about high end PCs, but the extra horsepower is kinda useless. While antialiasing is awesome and I can notice a massive difference, a lot of these first person shooters look the same to me when comparing the two max settings.

Well, not a lot, but Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 certainly. I spent a good thirty minutes trying to figure out what made Crysis 2 look 'better' at the ultra vs the very high setting. The performance hit was there though.

That being said, PCs are more powerful than the 360 and the utility is definitely there. FC3 looks a lot worse on console. Also certain games do take full advantage, like The Witcher 2. Now in that, I can notice a big difference.

In games like Crysis 2 and BF3 though, I am left shaking my head. I don't get it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 03:07:39 AM »
Steam sale for 24 hours Far Cry 3 is at a discounted price. Now to see what the fuss is about?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, March 30, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »
EGMNow -> Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon box-art revealed...might be April Fools Prank.

If it was an April Fools Prank - I wonder how many actually would buy this, if it was real...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon DLC box-art might be April Fools Prank
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, March 30, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
God I hope its not just a prank. Thats the best box art this generation.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 06:14:44 AM »
I'd expect box-art like that in say a Saints Row game, w/ T-Rexs shooting lasers out their eyes and an 80's inspired cyberpunk theme.
I so hope this DLC and its box-art is real - this could be crazy cool. :D

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »
So...not a prank.

Couple more shots at the link.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »
How awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon is a stand-alone product
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »
So you can find some videos of gameplay floating around now. Not linking because Ubisoft is trying to pull them down. It appears that some hackers figured out how to trick UPlay into letting them download any game they wanted, and Blood Dragon was there. So thats probably up on torrent sites and stuff now.

Which is really a shame because a game like this doesn't come from "suits". The team obviously cared about it and I hope it does well despite this early leak.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: IGN has 17 mins 40 secs of gameplay on Blood Dragon
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
Destructoid -> There will be an Original Soundtrack for Blood Dragon.

Ubisoft will be releasing a 25-track OST full of music from Power Glove with audio samples from the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon mixed into the soundtrack. What we got to hear from the Soundcloud already is just a small taste of something amazing according to creative director Dean Evans, and it's all thanks to a cheesy B-movie that this partnership even came about.

"I was watching a friend's movie a few years ago called Hobo With a Shotgun, and one of the songs of Power Glove is featured on there," Dean told me. "I was like 'What the fuck is this?! Who made this fucking song?! Oh it's these guys called Power Glove. Right, let's get in touch with [them].'

"So got in contact with these guys and it was like 'Hey, I'm Dean, I'm from Ubisoft Montreal. I totally wanna get you to score a game.' And they're like 'Ah, fuck off. This has got to be a joke.' I'm all 'No, no, no, it's totally real!'

"These kids are great, they're unsigned, they've released one EP, they've done a few tracks on some of Jason [Eisener's] work like ABCs of Death and Hobo With a Shotgun. We got on Skype, had a chat, ran through the concept with them, and this was the first time when working with composers that we'll get their first submissions and we have no feedback. None. These kids get it, they're absolutely amazing. I would jump at the chance to work with them again on something."

Dean added that he wants to see Power Glove become big stars, and hopes the game will help propel them to where they need to be. As for how you'll get the soundtrack, Dean wasn't ready to say yet but pre-ordering the Steam version of Blood Dragon will get you the soundtrack for free.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon will have OST by Power Glove
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »

I mean this in the best way possible, but how the hell does this get made? Like Idol pointed out, you would think that suits would have shut this thing down fast much less allowed someone to make a stand alone expansion pack in this day and age. I'd like to imagine there's a decent story here.

Anyway, I'm pretty sold. I think I'm going to have to nab this.

Edit: It does seem like there is a decent story here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Friday, April 12, 2013, 07:55:42 AM »
That really does look pretty fantastic. I haven't played anything since the first FC, though, and I do believe this would eat my PC alive. Consoles?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »
Holy shit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
I think they should remake Duke Nukem forever and put the guy who made Blood Dragon in charge.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
Yeah, that trailer is epic awesome!