Author Topic: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon does 5x's sales what Ubi expected; sequel?  (Read 10952 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon will have OST by Power Glove
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, April 14, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »

I mean this in the best way possible, but how the hell does this get made? Like Idol pointed out, you would think that suits would have shut this thing down fast much less allowed someone to make a stand alone expansion pack in this day and age. I'd like to imagine there's a decent story here.

I'm kinda curious & baffled about this, as well...

I'm just gonna think/type aloud here....

Maybe companies been looking how ludicrous, insane, wacky, over-the-top & crazy other successful games like Saints Row: The Third turned-out and said, "We need something as crazy as that, too!"

Maybe this "Blood Dragon" concept as a DLC or stand-alone expansion might've been easier to sell/pitch to "suits" than say a big-huge full $60 game? That'd be one of my guesses.
I mean, they have the FC3 Engine - and then pretty much probably just went ahead and made some more new content for it. {shrug}

Another thought - if Blood Dragon does well here, I just could see this becoming its very own "spin-off" series.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Lots of Blood Dragon reviews rolling in.
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
I'm going to single out the Eurogamer review.  It's quite literate, and seems to capture the essence of the game, as well as its tenuous connection to FC3.

Basically, it's a completely different game using the mechanics and tech assets of FC3.  The tone is whimsical, unlike its progenitor.  I'm only playing the demo/trial at this point, but there's no confusion about what it is, or where it's going.  For $15, I can't see calling myself a gamer and passing this up.  I just need to finish up with Bioshock Infinite completely (now on my 3rd playthrough) beforehand, because of the mental interference between the similar, but not quite compatible, control schemes.  I'll be casting vigors left and right, meaning to aim, and I'll be flipping cyber-dudes the bird, meaning to melee them.  Haha!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon does 5x's sales what Ubi expected; sequel?
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, May 09, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
I'm in the middle of Blood Dragon at the moment.  The campaign may be short, but I don't know that yet, because I'm basically ignoring it.  The meat of the game is pure FC3 colonization, reskinned.  New island, new bases (now garrisons), new enemies (now robots), new animals (old ones mutated or robotized), and new weapons--kinda sort of.  The vehicles are there too, though less varied.  The steps for becoming a full badass may be simplified, but the development path is basically the same.  Killing and scavenging earn you points for level up, as well as specific perks, like being able to buy weapons attachments.

This character development and systematic island conquest is what I liked best about FC3.  Here it feels very much like a mod of the full game, and that's fine.  The good thing for all concerned is that you need not own FC3 to play it, it's cheap, and there's a long game for whoever prefers exploration and development over a linear dash to the finish line.  Good for us, and good for the dev team, who are seeing some worthy financial success.

The one new enemy is the blood dragon, who is an over-the-top mighty beast that can kill you with a laser glare.  I mostly avoid them.  Fortunately, they can't see well, and I can sneak past them, or throw cyber-hearts (like throwing rocks) which make them run to eat them like a puppy chases a stick.  You can use them to clear out bases for you too.  It's hilarious. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Far Cry 3 -> Update: Blood Dragon does 5x's sales what Ubi expected; sequel?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, May 09, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »
You're making that sound way too fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:18:14 AM »
I found this on the sidebar to the Destructoid piece linked in the Shadow Warrior thread.  Nicely done.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:54:11 AM »
haha that is awesome! Nice find!