Author Topic: The Gamer's Bill of Rights  (Read 7106 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Gamer's Bill of Rights
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
Also, I'd just like to note that most games I've tried that required online activation as a one-shot still required me to have the CD in the drive.
Yeah, I thought that was kinda retarded. The only one so far that doesn't require me to have the disc in the drive is Mass Effect. Of course there's Half-Life 2 and anything on Steam too.

Bioshock required online activation AND the disc in the drive.

I just remembered that Unreal Tournament 3 doesn't have any form of DRM besides CD key check for online play only.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »
Yeah, I thought that was kinda retarded. The only one so far that doesn't require me to have the disc in the drive is Mass Effect. Of course there's Half-Life 2 and anything on Steam too.
Of course, Steam only allows one account at once to run any of those games.

Bioshock required online activation AND the disc in the drive.

So does AITD 2008.

I just remembered that Unreal Tournament 3 doesn't have any form of DRM besides CD key check for online play only.
Who would want to play UT3 offline?  :o
Well, I'm sure there's a good handful who do -- but, not me!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
No I agree that it is bullshit, but as long as the game actually forgoes the CD check after the one time activation, I am actually more happy with it than I would be with the cd check.

I use my optical drives lots, and having to search for the cd is a pain. Thank god for gamecopyworld.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »
Of course, Steam only allows one account at once to run any of those games.
Yeah, but at least you can have as many saves as you like hehe

I do :D Occasionally I train against bots, especially when I can't find any servers with decent pings.

Here's the other amazing bit: LAN! I could install the game on my PC and my brother's and we could LAN it right away. Ok not right away because UT3 was also infested with all sorts of server-related bugs. Hosting a server is a real hassle in UT3. The only way to properly configure a server is to get the WebAdmin kit and set it up; even in LAN. The point is it actually works without having to acquire multiple copies, cracks, or anthing like that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »
So how many of you wanted to play Sacred 2? Here is its recently announced DRM rule:

* 1 box, 2 licenses
    * 1 license can be used online at a time; implying you use either your PC or your notebook, but not both at the same time.
    * 2 can be played via LAN
    * 2 can be used for SP
    * Unlimited installations, 2 activations parallel. Activations can be revoked through multiple channels (online-auto, online tools, offline). Revoke & re-activate can be done an unlimited number of times.
    * One PC component can be replaced without problems. Beyond that revoke & re-activate is the recommended procedure.
    * There will be an emergency hotline for DRM issues due to failed hardware, etc. The manual page with the key serves as proof of purchase.
    * The hotline will be available 365 days a year, 24 hours per day. For standard phone rates. (This may apply for Germany only.; ed.)
    * Internet connection is needed during installation. The FAQ explains you can use a friend's PC for manual activation though.
    * You can play without the DVD. Itīs not needed in the drive.
    * No private data will be transfered during the activation process. You cannot even enter critical data.
    * The activation servers will be available for the next couple of years. Should this no longer be the case, the DRM will be patched out.
    * "A transfer to a third [party] is not part of the license." (transl.)
      edit: It's not clear if this is just the standard phrase to prevent copying or if it's really meant to make sure the game cannot be sold. A sentence in the explanations on the activation server page (see below) hints that selling is possible.

Well at least they allow one copy to be used for a two player LAN.

Ascaron themselves have clarified more details on their Securom protection for Sacred 2.

Ascaron sent out a German PR with details about the CP & DRM solution for their upcoming action-RPG Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel. A FAQ explains further details. They have chosen SecuROM, but their implementation is clearly more customer friendly than the one a certain publishing giant used on a couple of recent games. Details:

Edit: Ascaron has contacted us with the information that the contents of this newsbit did not reflect the truth completely and asked us to change it, so this should now reflect the correct information. The text in bold show the changes:

* 1 box, 1 license
    * The license can be used online to play on our servers at no charge for the license owner
    * You can install Sacred2 on a 1000 PCīs but playing at the same time = 2x. This can be your Desktop and your notebook.

* 2 can be played via LAN with one license
    * 2 can play SP
    * Unlimited installations, 2 activations parallel. Activations can be revoked through multiple channels (online-auto, online tools, offline). Revoke & re-activate can be done an unlimited number of times but limited per day to avoid abuse. It has to be a fair trade.
    * One PC component can be replaced without problems. Beyond that revoke & re-activate is the recommended procedure.
    * Putting up the internet a Serial code to abuse the key ad revoke tool will not work.
    * There will be a worldwide email hotline for DRM issues due to failed hardware, etc. The manual page with the key serves as proof of purchase.
    * The service at Securom will be available 365 days a year, 24 hours per day.
    * Ascaron hotline during biz hours for standard phone rates. (Germany only)
    * Internet connection is needed during installation. The FAQ explains you can use a friend's PC for manual activation though.
    * You can play without the DVD. Itīs not needed in the drive.
    * No private data will be transfered during the activation process. You cannot even enter critical data.
    * The activation servers will be available for the next couple of years. Should this no longer be the case, the DRM will be patched out.
    * The whole activation process takes less than 10 seconds and runs in the background after typing in the serial code.
    * Sacred2 license is transferable. The EULA doesnt say no to it because its the right to sell what you bought before.

Edit: Maybe it was not clear enough. The DRM stuff is only confirmed for Germany yet. The activation server page is available in 6 languages though ...

Edit2: A little bit of finetuning to intro and list. Especially to the last bullet point.

Edit3: That last bullet point is removed and replaced. Info updated in bold with updates from Ascaron.

Edit4: I removed the comment after the list. Ascaron clarified what I considered to be an issue. The basis for my criticism is therefore gone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 10:44:12 PM »

There's never anyone online.  Seriously.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 03:34:28 AM »
Even Bioshock has more people online.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 04:17:16 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »
Even Bioshock has more people online.

Yeah, maybe to activate the damn thing...