Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition  (Read 14562 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition
« on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 11:58:55 PM »
Is actually pretty fun. I've always had an interest in pen and paper RPGs. I've downloaded probably a few hundred free RPG rule systems just to read through them, the mechanics of playing, the settings, etc. Its all actually pretty interesting if you're interested in game mechanics at all.

Recently the 4th edition of Dungeons & Dragons was released. They've made some pretty substantial changes to the combat system. There is debate on whether this is good or bad. Most of the die hards seem to hate any changes they are used to so they basically hate it. Newcomers seem to like it. I, being a newcomer, also like it. They've taken inspiration from video games in how characters can use their abilities so if you're a videogamer things make a bit more sense right from the start. They sped up combat and made it more exciting.

Despite what you may think about D&D, you can treat it different ways. You don't have to go get dressed up and talk in stupid accents or anything. Theres a bit of puzzling to do depending on how the DM sets up the adventure. It plays a bit like a text adventure, with you getting clues and descriptions of where you are and what you can do. Only you can do it with a group of people all solving the same puzzle. Once you get into combat its very much like a turn-based tactical strategy game. You don't have to turn it into anything more than that if you really don't want to.

I..."acquired" the 4th edition rules and had a read. Sounded pretty neat, like the rest. Then I came across a very special podcast. The guys that do the Penny Arcade and PvP comics got a chance to play the new 4th edition and recorded it as a podcast. The first episode is right here. One guy has never played D&D before, another hadn't played it in years, and the last...also hadn't played in a while. The DM is official from Wizards of the Coast. Its a really great podcast, I suggest you give a listen if you've been curious out RPGs. Or even not, because its funny as hell. The rest of the episodes can be found here. There are 8 total.

So I thought that sounded fun as hell and told Que. Que downloaded the podcast and agreed. With a little searching of the interwebs, we found various software to help you conduct a game of D&D (or any other RPG) over the internet. We gave it a test spin last night and then another, much better run tonight with voice chat and I thought it worked really well. We went into a dungeon thing, killed some zombies, and had a great time. Que was the DM and played a character, and I simply played my own character.

So heres where the wrinkle is. D&D is really made for groups. We need more people to play with, with different classes so we have a more well rounded party. If you want to join, you can get a copy of the Players Handbook if you like ($24 on Amazon, maybe the library, or...others). While handy, its not really required. Que and I can roll up some pre-made characters for you. We've both got the books (Que has hardcopies and I plan on getting my own set) and can check the rules and crap. The powers are all self contained info so its really easy to get the hang of it.

So yeah...come kill evil fantasy creatures with us. Its fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »
Don't know what to add that idol hasn't said already.

Well, there's the fact that I wouldn't say *all* long-time D&Ders hate the 4E rules.  I've actually seen a number of people who've responded positively, and there are some who really feel like a lot of longstanding problems were finally put to rest.  The big changes are really in the combat, like idol said.  It's more akin to a tactical strategy RPG now, where it was really more loose before, and I *like* tight combat.  That doesn't mean you can't improvise and such, it just means you've got a more easily recognizable ruleset that dictates the general flow of combat.  That isn't a bad thing.  4E is much faster than previous versions and omits a lot of the general busywork that served to do little more than slow everything down and make things needlessly complicated.  Complexity doesn't always equal depth, after all.

Anyway, so I think it's a really solid system.  Being a writer that spends more time creating detailed settings and stuff than actually writing, I'm very keen to DM and build a persistent world for people to game in.  I've already got several opening adventure ideas and have been going through the DMG trying to get all my stuff nailed down.

I'll say this: I never really understood the appeal of D&D before.  I get that people like playing together, setting up a game night, and going out to slay monsters and junk.  Who wouldn't?  But the roleplaying aspect always confused me.  It just seemed cheesy to think about impersonating a character in the context of a virtual world that has no significant physical representation.  In a game, you've got things to interact with.  Only graphical maybe, but obvious representations of things.  Tabletop games, all you've got outside of combat is your imagination, and that makes it seem like kiddie stuff.  But then I listened to not only the PAX D&D podcast idol mentioned, but also this one.  I guess those guys sort of review RPGs by playing them, so there's like 8 or 9 sessions of them playing an introductory 4E game.  And it's real sessions, like 2 hours long each, more or less unedited.  And it isn't just the combat stuff, they also do some basic roleplaying, and I suddenly saw how it fits together and how much fun people have goofing off with it and stuff.  It's pretty hilarious at times and also adds a great deal of context and intrigue, and if you don't take it seriously it can really be pretty funny.  Probably works a hell of a lot better when you're passing beers around in the living room as opposed to doing shit via VOIP, but regardless... I suddenly realized why people like D&D.  I always thought it sounded interesting, but like something I wouldn't really get or enjoy.  At this point, I do believe I heartily recant.

So if you're interested, let us know.  I'd love to get a weekly game going, and I think the extensive testing idol and I did over the last week has proven it to be a viable possibility, even over the internet.  I think it'd be fun to set aside a night a week to just have a couple beers, bust out the chips and assorted junk, and just kick back on the other side of the virtual board and do some leisurely cooperative math.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 04:50:56 AM »
I've never done the tabletop D&D....
...but in the gaming-world -- I've played CRPG's using D&D 2nd Ed (BG series, PS:T) and 3rd Ed (such as NWN). I think D&D rules used in those games have gotten better each time around, with each edition.

One think I really liked about D&D 3rd Ed CRPG's was the classes and rules felt a little more open than they did in the 2nd Ed. Plus, the switching of the armor spun backwards for THAC0 made more sense.

So, it's good to hear that y'all really like the 4th Ed rules.

Curiosity factor -- any D&D PC Games yet get announced that plan to use The D&D 4th Edition rules yet besides the upcoming NWN2: Storm of Zehir expansion?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »
I don't think any games have yet been announced that use the new rules.  Barring that expansion, anyway, which I didn't even know was going to be using them.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »
The NWN2 expansion doesn't use the 4e rules.
Matthew [of Obsidian]: We can't say much about the storyline at this point - suffice to say that Zehir himself is mentioned in some of the D&D 4th Edition manuals. While our game utilizes 3.5 Edition rules and takes place before the 4th Edition in the chronology of the Forgotten Realms, we still foreshadow some of the events of the new D&D edition.

GB: The expansion will continue to use the 3.5E ruleset, but you mentioned in the press release that the storyline will "foreshadow" events that will take place in the 4th Edition version of the Forgotten Realms. Care to elaborate? Any chance that there will be other tie-ins to 4E?

Matthew [of Obsidian]: As mentioned above, most of the 4th Edition tie-ins are plot-related, and playing Storm of Zehir will allow players to get a better feel for how some of the events of 4th Edition came to pass.
Its just sort of setting up some characters and story related to the 4th edition, but its still going to use the 3.5 rules for actual play.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »
Ooooh.
Thanks for clarifying, Idol.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 11:29:46 AM »
HOWZ R UR NECK-BEARDS COMING ALONG?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »
Neck beard check, 1d20+3

... shit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
Neck beard check, 1d20+3

... shit.

Nice!
LOL!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 02:39:42 PM »
Haha I just listened to the first episode of the PA DnD podcast! That sounds like fun!

Hehe Jim Darkmagic :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »
I will come out and say it right now:  I think D&D is completely lame.  Thank you for your time.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 04, 2008, 01:46:45 AM »
Hmm just "got" the 4th edition book set with the gm, players, and monster manual.  Coming from 3rd edition i noticed a lot of changes.  Like the adding of the dragonborn race.  That race in 3rd edition was really hard to achieve.  One the gm had to agree on it and second was only limited to Bahamut.  The only thing I can see why they added the dragonborn race is to make people who love half dragon races happy.  Another thing they added was the added bonus to skills at first it was skill bonus+ability modifier=skill rank.  Now its half level+skill bonus+ability modifier=skill rank.  They also added a little more to the combat system.  I only glanced at it it used to be just feats/skills/ability score every level that you get them on.  They added some other battle stuff that I'll have to read a little more in detail about.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 08:30:14 PM »
Sooo we just had the first dnd session the other night and it went fairly well.  There was some confusion with certain things but everyone eventually understood their roles and in the end we started playing faster with less mistakes.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:28:11 AM by Dragonlor »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »
I thought it was awesome, and I had a ridiculously good time.  Looking very forward to the next session.  Will be posting in this thread again soon when I get another couple updates done on the website.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »
This thread seems shorter. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »
EVERYONE WAS ON VACATION.  WE WERE INVITED.  PUNCH WAS SERVED!  I WILL HEAR NO MORE INSINUATIONS ABOUT THE GERMAN PEOPLE.  NOTHING BAD HAPPENED!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »
Hahaha...

That went infinitely better than I could have ever imagined.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 10:42:19 PM »
Well, the game has undergone some fundamental changes as I get more comfy with the idea of DMing and learn more about MapTool.  I think you guys will dig it.  Biggest change?  We now have ACTUAL 4E STATES PROGRAMMED, with actual graphical symbols provided by AidyBaby if the RPTools forums.  And they stack automagically as you add and subtract them.  It's a thing of beauty.

Also, maps now look less shitty thanks to PSP9 and multiply layers!  The screen doesn't show off the new states well at all because I basically didn't add any (this is just a shot of where we ended on Wednesday), but you get the idea.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 14, 2008, 02:38:07 AM »
Wow that loots a lot better then before.  Can't wait to be able to play again.  I'm going to be getting my new schedule here pretty soon from work.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 14, 2008, 02:59:32 AM »
Work is progressing on Goldharbour as well.  Map is about... I guess about half done, maybe 2/3.  13 locations have been written into the streets with fairly well fleshed out ideas and named NPCs.  I've also created a flowchart for certain game elements, including a couple of skill challenge-like things to move over a long period of time and eventually culminate in some sweeping changes depending on the outcome, and I've got my eyes set a bit further down the road to what I think could be some pretty awesome stuff.

So never fear, work progresses!

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 14, 2008, 05:42:20 AM »
Awesome awesome just don't over work yourself man one step at a time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »
The Story So Far is up.  It isn't much yet, but hopefully I'll manage to fix it up a little as we go.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »
The Story So Far is up.  It isn't much yet, but hopefully I'll manage to fix it up a little as we go.

Good stuff man, thanks for all the work you are putting into this, its been a blast so far.  Looking forward to continuing our fun on Thursday.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, September 25, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »
First OWnet D&D "Podcast"
Aaand Second OWnet D&D "Podcast"

Probably only for those with way too much time on their hands, but since I was doing it for a few folks I thought what the hell... so there they are, rapidshared.  If you've ever been interested in the way a game works or whatever... there you go.  It also proves that yes, you can successfully play it online and still have a great time.

Anyway, since our game got canceled tonight, at least it's something to post.  I did enjoy listening to a few of the other podcasts floating around the internet, such as the ones at RPGMP3.com, so I'm sure somebody out there would enjoy a listen.  It's amazing how much shit you can power through when you listen to stuff for 7 hours a day at work every day of your life.  I enjoy podcasts, but I can listen to like 5 a day.  I listened to nearly 300 episodes of Dragnet because I'm an old-time radio nerd apparently, and it only took me a couple months.  Audiobooks?  I've heard countless.  So at least now I can say I did my part to help fill the internet with useless crap to help people pass the time!

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, September 25, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
I was thinking of drawing a portrait with all our characters in it.  Like shanky on my characters shoulders with his crossbow out.  Ragefire off to the side smashing some undead in the face with his shoulder.  Bruce attempting a ray of frost but failing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »
Episode 3 is up.

EDIT - Tamaros has been added!

EDIT x2 - I'm now hosting a Power Tool on the site which will quickly allow you to look up any power for any class, barring the classes from the Forgotten Realms Players Guide.  I don't know if those will come later as somebody else made this and I just snatched it.

EDIT x3 - Notes on Dates and Timekeeping (expect a couple minor changes, mostly to names, to that to come today, so treat it as a preview, heh).
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 06:50:49 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 03:25:01 PM »
Woot awesome explanation of the time.  I haven't met a single dm that would go as far as set up a time system for their world.  Also nice link for the powers i completely forgot the warlord had inspiring word.  That would have been use full for acouple of the fights.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
If you guys could let me know when you're able to play this week, that'd be great.  There isn't any real urgency, I'm just hoping to know a little more in advance so I know how much stuff I'll need to come up with.  I've got enough to keep you occupied for a few hours, but the next bits after that may not be quite so concentrated as what we initially did, so I want to make sure I keep a healthy buffer of extra stuff ready in case you go through stuff faster than I anticipate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
So I know the hiatus has been a little long, and I apologize to everybody about the game lapsing the way it did.  Bad personal shit at the time, and it just really wasn't feasible for it to continue.  But that's in the past, now, and after I finally finish moving into the new place, there should be an even better setup waiting for me.  MapTool has a new version out, which is always good too, and from what I gather there's still interest in resuming the game, which I'm more than happy to do.

So my plan is to get moved into the new place at the end of this month, have a week or so to set some things up, and then resume sometime around mid-May.  We'll have to see if everyone still wants to play, and work on arranging schedules again since I know things have changed for some folks, but hopefully we can get it back on track without too much trouble.

Anyway, spread the word.  I've still got lots of fun ideas for the campaign, and now that Open Grave is out, I'm extra excited.  I may even order some dice and a dice tray so I can roll just like a real geek behind the digital DM screen.  AWESOME.

EDIT - Okay.  Open Grave has been ordered, and I'm once again working on content.  I found the maps I lost of the next potential scenario.  I'm going to have to start working harder on getting playable maps ready as the campaign opens up and more choices are available at any given time.

So I want to make a bit of a new deal this time, get off to a simpler and better start.  That means both some general suggestions I have for keeping things moving and making things a little less confusing, and also some house rules I want to try to implement.  This is by no means a complete list, it's just some ideas that came to mind over the last few days or some things I was thinking about for a time in relation to the campaign.

So: some stuff.

• No more mixed messages!

Either we limit all roleplaying to text chat and all OOC chat to Teamspeak, or we can use Teamspeak for all roleplaying and OOC chat can do whatever it wants text or audio, like sitting around a table.  The reason for this is that it gets really hard to keep track of rolls, etc. when the window is getting clogged with chat.  Roleplaying text won't interfere with this since there's comparatively little of it and it doesn't come so quickly.

• Don't ask, try!

Ask fewer mechanical questions.  Just try stuff!  If there's something that interests you, just say what it is and give it a shot.  I'm there to figure out what you should roll and how it's going to work.  Don't tell me you're going to do a perception check, just tell me what you want to check.  Specific is better than general, and if there's something more general you might notice, I'll be ready to give you the opportunity.

• Don't be a slave to rules.

Think outside the box.  There are plenty of opportunities that aren't in the rules in any exact form.  Just because it isn't a weapon doesn't mean you can't use it as one, after all, and some of the more creative ways of escape may be a little less... conventional.

• I'm scaling back the time system.

We'll be moving to a 25 hour clock (24 hours plus the hour of sleep).  As fun as it was building a bunch of crazy stuff, I was probably having too much fun at the expense of practicality.  There will still be some strange facets, but the day will be shorter.

• Let's be speedier.

If you still can't think of anything to do or are still reading stuff after a fair bit of time, we're just going to say that you've delayed your action.  I don't want to be strict about it, but we were taking way too long on some stuff.  Acting a little more impulsively won't kill anybody, and hopefully we'll be able to cover a bit more ground in a session if we try harder to keep moving.

• The responsibility for status will be your own.

There were times when people were doing their own status effects and changing their HP, but it was inconsistent.  Sometimes I did it, sometimes you guys did.  So in the future, let's just say that each player should do it himself.  You take care of yourselves, I take care of everything else.

• Try to think more in-character.

I want to focus a little more on roleplaying, in large part due to story arcs and stuff.  I don't expect you to be super nerds about it.  Whatever level you're comfortable with is perfectly fine, I just want everyone to be more in tune with their characters as that's also mechanically part of everything.  Be aware of the languages you speak and understand, the likes and dislikes, habits, etc.  It'll be helpful for me.

Okay?  Okay!  Now, a few house rules I'd like to try:

• Item identification -

It will now be slightly more difficult to identify items.  They cannot be identified any longer by a mere short rest, but only by persistent scrutiny during an extended rest, or by using the item during an encounter.  Any item can be identified instantly with a successful Arcana check.

• Death and dying -

If knocked out, rolling a 19 on your death saving throw results in stabilizing as though the heal skill was used.  You regain no HP and remain unconscious, but you may stop rolling death saves.  You can, of course, still suffer a coupe de grace by any malevolent enemy, or die by suffering your bloodied rating in negative numbers from any extended damage.

• Armor size and armor repair -

If a player goes down seven times, his armor must be repaired by an appropriate professional.  He will suffer -2 to AC and -1 to Athletics and Acrobatics checks until he gets his gear fixed.  Any armor repair made before the seven-times-KO tally will reset the counter to zero.

Wrongly-sized armors will also confer the "broken" status debuff on anyone wearing one.  Armors can always be refitted for a fee at any armorer, however.  If a wrongly-sized piece of armor is worn and breaks as a result of the seven-times-KO rule, the negative effects will double.

• Action points -

If you tackle two encounters without taking a short rest between them, you may spend multiple action points during the second encounter.  Action points may be used during non-combat encounters to give another character a +2 to skill checks.

So that's it for now.  More to come!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 08:57:11 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Shanky sharpens his dagger.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »
That all sounds good, Que.  Bryan, Corey, and I will get with you on more specifics sometime in the next few days.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
Well, if you guys were wondering what the rest of the available landmasses looked like, wonder no longer (view the image alone for full effect -- forums resize it automatically):

I called the map "Kamen Thral East", but I'm not quite sure just how much of the east it actually is.  And it's still a tad incomplete, with a few things that need proper names and such.  But conceptually, a good bit of this is already hashed out in my head.  It'll all be going into an Almanac of sorts once things get more underway.  What I'll likely do is just make a little online spot with all the stuff you guys have discovered so far, or anything that would be common knowledge to the characters, and I"ll add stuff as you go.

Really wishing I had a laptop right now.  With the money my grandfather left me, I'll likely be getting one.  I really need a way to be getting writing done, for this and other projects.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »
That map is awesome Que.  Bryan, Corey, and I are still discussing some stuff in terms of scheduling.  We are basically all trying to get the same day off so we don't have to wait until I get home at 10pm or when Corey gets home at 11pm.  I have a set schedule of certain days off, Corey does for the most part too.  Bryan is going to talk with his manager about getting at least one set day off per week so we can start shortly after you get off from work so we aren't up so late.  I'll get on IRC with you sometime or something to discuss more specifics as they come along.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 04:11:11 AM »
Yeah I'm negotiating with my manager about trying to get Wednesday and Friday off or Thursday and Friday off.  Only issue is I'm trying to run a campaign myself here in good old Texas with some friends in town.  Hopefully the two wont conflict, but yeah I think it would be great to get things started up again.  *Balasar puts on his armor, hooks his sword to his side, and rests his shield on his back.  Lastly putting his necklace around his neck.*

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 07:50:11 AM »
Awesome, hope we can get it all worked out.  At this point I could run this campaign into the epic tier and ascend you guys to godhood and still give you pretty compelling stuff to do.  Definitely looking forward to playing again.  I had a bit of a plot breakthrough on some of the more foundational stuff that wouldn't come out to the PCs until at least paragon tier, so I'm pretty happy with how things are shaping up.  But it's no fun building all this stuff unless you guys get to come in and trash it!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
I don't know how many people are interested in D&D outside of those already playing, but WotC released a Quickstart rulebook and Keep on the Shadowfell as free downloads. So you can run a quick game, see what its all about.

Linky

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2009, 05:41:32 AM »
Well I asked for Tuesday and Thursday off and hope to get both off.  Sadly I wont be able to do it Tuesday because I'll be going up to Austin for a GO Club meeting.  and it runs from 6:30pm to 12am every Tuesday.  Also I am testing out the keep of the shadow fell already with some friends here it's pretty well made and it came with maps so I didn't have to use my head much.

Edit: That also means I have my own set of books woot.  only cost me $100 haha.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2009, 06:58:42 AM »
Awesome.  I shudder to think what I've spent on books thus far.  I have... kind of a lot of them.

So are we looking at doing this Thursday nights?  I'm hoping to get a somewhat more solid schedule because I'd really like to get some actual playing experience in another game, but can't really manage that if I don't know when we'll be playing.

EDIT - Also, new stuff is up at the site.  Updated the story-so-far, new "almanac" section with some historical/social/contextual notes, etc.  Check it out!

EDIT x2 - Trying to get some of my stuff into a more official-looking format.  The results are pretty good on my trial run for an artifact I created a bit ago.  Sadly, it may get introduced to the campaign, so I can't spoil things, hence the text must remain unreadable and some stuff get blotted out.  But you get the idea.  It took a while fiddling with Word and OpenOffice's writer, and it still isn't perfect since I can't seem to get headers and footers to work right, but I think this imitates the official format pretty damned well.  If I can manage to keep this up, maybe I can package parts of the campaign into a PDF someday for other people to download.  You guys could be making history!

EDIT x3 - Well, I picked up Monster Manual 2.  It's got some pretty epic stuff.  I don't know why I keep buying all this shit, as I can't seem to actually like... find a game.  Other than the one I play with you guys.  Hopefully this Saturday at the D&D Game Day at my local shop I'll be able to meet a group needing a player or two.

I've actually been playing a little adventure with Julia, just her character and mine, and it's actually been quite fun.  She's potentially interested in joining our online game or finding a group with me.  We'll see how that goes.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 22, 2009, 06:22:13 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, May 23, 2009, 01:01:43 AM »
Well It looks like Thursdays are going to be the day.  My boss has let me have that day off every week so far so it looks like a permanent thing.  I was thinking with my poor feeble little mind that we can rotate everything.  Considering us guys over in Texas like to play board games and I have my own campaign to run.  Each month we will basically do this, one Thursday we do your campaign then we play a board game then my campaign then board game then your campaign.  This way it keeps both parties from getting burnt out on both sides.  I was also thinking Quemaqua that this upcoming Tuesday you me and idol can get on team speak and get some stuff worked out and see how maptools is going to work. Also on Wednesday Belmont wants to get on there as well and test things out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, May 23, 2009, 07:23:35 AM »
Okay, cool.  I'll try to get all my MapTool stuff set up by then.

So we're basically down to once a month then?