Author Topic: Hexen and Heretic get their Source Code re-released  (Read 1620 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Hexen and Heretic get their Source Code re-released
« on: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 05:38:58 AM »
Raven and Id have agreed to release a GNU-GPL for Hexen and Heretic.
Well, it's been done -- under much less restrictive terms now.
Now with the new re-release, source ports and mods are legal for usage officially with these games.

GPL Heretic and Hexen  [September 06, 2008, 1:51 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

Doomworld announces that the source codes for both Heretic and Hexen have been re-released on Sourceforge under The GNU General Public License, as the sources for both games were previously only available under more restrictive terms.

This move is the result of an extended campaign to inspire a GNU GPL release for this pair of fantasy-themed shooters created by Raven Software using id Software's DOOM engine, and as a result they can be used in more creative ways involving modifications and other DOOM source projects. Thanks Mike Martinez and Slashdot.

EDIT:
The Steam Heretic-Hexen Collection is $4.99 on Steam currently (which contains all the Id Software-published ones -- Heretic: Shadow of the Serpant Riders, Hexen, Hexen: Deathking expansion, and Hexen 2).

Hmmmm....Looks like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2: Portal of Praevus Expansion got left out of that Steam collection, probably since Id didn't publish it themselves -- I think Activision did publish those.

So will any of say the source ports work w/ the Steam versions of the game series?

EDIT #2:
I just tried Hexen 2 demo on Steam. Cool stuff.

So, hmmm....looks like it is possible to use Steam version of those games on a Source Port, from what I'm reading on Steam forums. I guess all you need is download The Doomsday Engine (Source Port) and just copy the necessary IWAD files over to the Doomsday folder to run them.

Can anyone kindly elaborate on this here?
Que, where are you?
I know you're a Heretic/Hexen series fan!  :P

EDIT #3:
Ordered Hexen-Heretic Pack from Steam. It's all DL'ed.
Nice.

Tried Heretic in the Doomsday engine. Pretty cool. :)
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 10:13:56 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Hexen and Heretic get their Source Code re-released
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
Yes, Doomsday is an awesome port, I highly recommend it.  Works very well.  And yeah, both Heretic and Hexen are old-time favorites of mine.  Been a number of years since I've played them, now... wouldn't mind giving Hexen another go in particular.  That was a really kickass game with a lot of crazy stuff going on, especially toward the end.  It can be really rich and elaborate for an old shooter.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Hexen and Heretic get their Source Code re-released
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 10:33:07 AM »
Yes, Doomsday is an awesome port, I highly recommend it.  Works very well.  And yeah, both Heretic and Hexen are old-time favorites of mine.  Been a number of years since I've played them, now... wouldn't mind giving Hexen another go in particular.  That was a really kickass game with a lot of crazy stuff going on, especially toward the end.  It can be really rich and elaborate for an old shooter.

I'm wondering why the heck I didn't buy these, back in the day -- heh. These games feel like a shooter, but with basically the medieval-fantasy backdrop.

I tried Heretic over Steam. It's cool, for nostalgia -- in that DosBox form, even without the Doomsday enhancements.

But it feels a lot better running it w/ the Doomsday Engine -- namely b/c I like having mouselook. Everything else on top is gravy, such as the graphical stuff.

EDIT:
Que, I'm guessing you probably have Heretic II and Hexen II: Portal of Praevus expansion (which don't come in that Steam pack) -- so, if you have those, how were those, in your opinion?

Which of that entire series do you like the best, if you had to pick?